PDA

View Full Version : help me with installation and opening dvd player

inspiration27
3rd August 2007, 03:33 PM
hello,
when installing any new software cd ,the mac book is not guiding me throught the setup process but instead it starts on its own and sits in hard disk-when clicked the particular installed software from hard dosk its not opening.when inserted a movie or dvd its not opening dvd player to play movie (just showing insert a DVD)i would nt trace out the problems.help me plz:confused: :confused:

kim jong il
3rd August 2007, 03:41 PM
If you want the DVD player to automatically launch, open System Preferences and click on the CD/DVD icon and set up your preferences there.

inspiration27
3rd August 2007, 03:55 PM
the company dvd is opening automatically,the one which is burnt either cd or dvd is not opening and how about the software cds ,its not guiding me but i can find the icon in hardware and when i click them its not opening but all the tools of that software seems to be installed.

ClockWork
3rd August 2007, 04:11 PM
English is the preferred language in MacTalk forums - however, as Kim Jong just mentioned, we'll go through it again:

Click once on your blue Apple Menu (far-top left of your screen) and scroll down to : System Preferences...

In System Preferences, click once on the CDs & DVDs icon, under: Hardware.

Next to both:

When you insert a blank CD:
When you insert a blank DVD:

- can for the moment be set to: Ask what to do

As for the others:

When you insert a music CD: Open iTunes
When you insert a picture CD: Ignore
When you insert a DVD: Open DVD Player

Movies burned to DVD-/+R should open automatically, just like any othe DVD Movie, yet if Data or Information has been burnt to either CD or DVD, it won't open in anything - they will just appear on your Desktop, and you have to double-click them to open them yourself.

The rest of your message is, I'm afraid, incomprehensible... to me anyway.

kim jong il
7th August 2007, 09:31 PM
the company dvd is opening automatically...
So that one is a regular DVD that will launch automatically with DVD player (VIDEO TS files)

... the one which is burnt either cd or dvd is not opening... I assume you mean video files in another format/container like .avi, .xvid or .mkv? You will need to get another media player like VLC or codec pack to run some of these in QuickTime Player. These will never launch automatically (so I believe anyway) and never in the DVD player .

... and how about the software cds ,its not guiding me but i can find the icon in hardware and when i click them its not opening but all the tools of that software seems to be installed.
You can't generally run software from the installer CD or disk image (although if you can it will create files in various places on your Mac but will not install the application itself) Those applications have to be placed on your hard drive (the Applications folder is usually a good spot). Some applications can just be dragged and dropped into the Applications folder while others require you to run an installer off the install CD/DVD.

As a general rule of thumb, reading the *readme that goes with virtually every piece of software will tell you how to install that software. You can also search this forum with a question like: installing software.

Hope this answered your question a bit?

*(Reading the manual is always great place to start if you are unsure of how to install something.)