PDA

View Full Version : What's a .Wv Wavpack file - conversion options?

Byrd
1st August 2007, 08:07 PM
Hi,

So I've been downloading :rolleyes:

... and they're .Wv "Wavepak lossless" files, that I've never heard of. They don't seem to play under iTunes.

Has anyone dealt with these babies, and are there any OS X applications to convert them to MP3/Apple lossless files? There isn't much info available online for this format.

JB

purana
1st August 2007, 08:12 PM
Able to host one, so we can attempt to convert if by any means possible? :)

EDIT: If you have access to a Windows virtual machine with Winamp installed, just use the plugin for Winamp as found here (http://www.wavpack.com/downloads.html) and set Winamp output to save to disk (and play/convert the file out to a .wav or something similar).

Byrd
1st August 2007, 08:16 PM
It's a song I've been searching for for months - Duptribe - The Girl from Mogadishou (Strike Boys Remix) - on vinyl only, and UK suppliers are too difficult to pay/post here.

It's a 50MB song in particular purana, not sure where to host it on this crappy Alphalink account :D

I suspect I've come across some dodgy WV conversion utilities for Windows that I'll enjoy putting more spyware onto my standalone PC :)

EDIT: Winamp save to WAV that's a great idea, it's still my MP3 player of choice on my PC :thumbup: Thanks p.

JB

purana
1st August 2007, 08:20 PM
And it appears that same website offers UNIX source package that should compile on OSX to give you a command line only decoder util. I'll try and compile it in a day or so when I have a bit of time. If it works I'll make a .pkg for the binaries..

But I think using the Winamp plugin and then the save to disk output module will be the best bet. Since we know this function works nicely in many cases.

Byrd
1st August 2007, 08:36 PM
Thanks mate. The command-line Win32 utility worked a treat - dragged the relevant file(s) to the icon, and it saved it as a .WAV at a rapid rate.

Of course, it meant I had to fire up my PC ;)

JB