PDA

View Full Version : iMac keep turning itself on?

rEEzA
31st July 2007, 10:09 AM
Hi Guy and Girls.

I've had a problem since I purchased my iMac back in Febuary. I've tried to trouble shoot it a couple of times with no luck. But it's never really been a problem, but months later It's getting worse and it's a pain that I have to unplug it when I'm off for a few days.

Basically. If the iMac is shutdown it will randomly turn itself on. No set time, just when it feels like it. Could be 10 minutes or 2 hours later. If it's put to sleep the same thing will happen it will randomly wake itself up.

There is no wake on Lan enabled nor is anything else running in the back ground.

I just can't work out why. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers,

rEEzA

E|dan
31st July 2007, 10:15 AM
wow...super imac..mayb u could bring it back to the shop u purchase it from? its still under warranty right?

SRG
31st July 2007, 10:39 AM
Do you have a powered USB hub connected?

I find on my mini if I have anything connected to my Belkin hub the Mini keeps waking from sleep mode.

ClockWork
31st July 2007, 11:30 AM
Formula has a point there - often - for some reason - and it often happened with the iMac G5 series, if the keyboard is plugged into a USB Hub, or it's not the keyboard that the iMac came with, it can turn the whole computer back "on", in an almost super natural way.

rEEzA
31st July 2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah itís still under warranty and that would be the last resort. Itís always a pain warranty stuff.

What I have connected is.

Firewire external hard drive (switched off unless Iím using it)
Keyboard (With mouse into keyboard)
USB tuner
Ethernet Cable

I had some suspension it may be EyeTV but itís not running and noting has been scheduled.

Itís very strange, is it possible itís a faulty?

Thanks for the replies.

rEEzA

Silver
31st July 2007, 01:10 PM
Do you have the 'restart after power failure' option selected in the Energy Saver panel? It maybe that you have noise electrical supply.

rEEzA
1st August 2007, 05:58 PM
Do you have the 'restart after power failure' option selected in the Energy Saver panel? It maybe that you have noise electrical supply.

Hi Silver. Yeah "restart after power failure" is not ticked.

ClockWork
1st August 2007, 06:13 PM
Is the keyboard plugged directly into the iMac - and is it the same keyboard / mouse that came with the iMac?

Also, what is your iMac plugged into? ie: directly into the wall / via an extension cord / via a surge protector ? Can you duplicate the problem by moving the iMac to another power jack?

rEEzA
2nd August 2007, 01:01 PM
It's the same keyboard and mouse that come with the iMac.

It was plugged into the wall, but i've moved it to a UPS. (the UPS is a little old) same problem.

I will shut it down and change power point and see how it goes.

Redman
2nd August 2007, 01:45 PM
My G5 used to do this, and found it to be Eye TV.
Disable the "Wake up Computer if Necessary" in the Guide tab and see if that fixes it.

ClockWork
2nd August 2007, 03:09 PM
Takes Silver's bet that it has something to do with noisey electrical supply / that UPS.