PDA

View Full Version : Some Newbie Questions

dracomjb
31st January 2005, 09:51 PM
Just trying to get some things setup and working on my new Mac Mini. I'm a relative novice to OS X, I've played around a little bit, had a little bit of Linux experience but generally a Windows user.

1st - Trying to install a printer driver. I&#39;ve downloaded a drive from the Lexmark website (Dell A940 printer that is a rebadged Lexmark X5150) and have this .hqx file. Opening this hqx file stuffit fails at the end with "An error has occurred while expanding the file <filename> (Archive was compressed with an unknown compression method). Error #17535. Is there anything else I can try and extract this driver with?

2nd - How do I get the extra buttons on my Logitech MX900 working? The middle button and the 2 on the left side don&#39;t work. I&#39;d love to be able to use the 2 on the left side to navigate forwards and back in web browsers.

3rd - How do I increase the time before the screen power saves? I&#39;d like to see the screen saver first.

I&#39;m sure there will be more questions to come, these are the first.

Ozi
31st January 2005, 09:57 PM
Logitech Mouse: http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=985 :P

Screensaver: Open "System Preferences" then choose "Energy Saver." Then set it to "Highest Performance"

Then go back to "desktop and screensaver" in system preferences, and tell the screensaver to active after 1 minute. You can also tell it to "test" the screensaver if you want. :)

tempestas
31st January 2005, 10:01 PM
OK I can answer 3 and I&#39;ll attempt the others

3) Open System Preferences under the Apple menu then Energy Saver and change the time to display sleep.

2) I&#39;d check the keyboard mouse under System preferences else see if there are relevant drivers to download from the logitech site.&#092;

1) I&#39;d download the driver again, stuffit usually works fine. Else try setting the printer up from printers under system preferences and see what options/detection are apparent. The firmware may be different even though it is rebadged, the discussions page on the Apple Support site are well worth checking out here.

Hopefully others can correct the bits I am less accurate on.

dracomjb
31st January 2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the help re the screen, it was staring me in the face, but I couldn&#39;t see it :o).

While that article/review of the MX900 details how to assing Expose functions to the mouse buttons, that&#39;s really not what I&#39;m after. I&#39;d like to assign browser "Back" functionality to one of them. Unless I missed something in Expose.

Almost forgot. I have tried downloading the driver several times, even onto a windows PC and copied it across to the Mac and it errors the same way.

Disko
31st January 2005, 10:13 PM
Try downloading the lateset version of stuffit expander.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/6326

see if that helps. :)

sprinter
31st January 2005, 10:25 PM
About the Logitech mouse, you should have a Logitech CD with the Logitech Control Center for OS X on it or download it from: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/download...tid=6034,OSID=9 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/US/EN,CRID=1792,contentid=6034,OSID=9)

As for the Lexmark printer drivers, try downloading by holding down the mouse on the download link (or press Shift and click on the link) and choose something like "Save Target As" to download the file. That may sometime avoid the problem of getting a corrupted file (which sometimes occur when downloading a file on the Mac).

Ozi
31st January 2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by dracomjb@Jan 31 2005, 11:09 PM
While that article/review of the MX900 details how to assing Expose functions to the mouse buttons, that&#39;s really not what I&#39;m after. I&#39;d like to assign browser "Back" functionality to one of them. Unless I missed something in Expose.
Well Logitech are hopeless, utterly hopeless when it comes to supporting the Mac.

The Systems Preferences exposť workaround is the best I could find.

Rayd
31st January 2005, 10:57 PM
actually the MX700 and MX900 are exactly the same except the MX900 is a bluetooth verison and does NOT have native support for MAC as the MX700 does, but you can try USBoverdrive although... the mouse isnt a USB mouse... yet.. try anyway &#33; :D

Ozi
31st January 2005, 10:59 PM
I couldn&#39;t get the LCC (Logitech Control Centre) to recognise that my MX900 existed. :( it seems to only recognise USB mice, and the software is badly out of date.

EDIT: USBoverdrive didnt work for me either, which is bloody annoying, as the mouse is awesome: the support is shocking.

Rayd
31st January 2005, 11:09 PM
got it... this works http://www.carvware.com/gamepadcompanion.html

EDIT: use this aswell to edit accelleration http://homepage.mac.com/bhines/mousezoom.html

dracomjb
1st February 2005, 08:47 AM
Ok, I gave up on the Logitech, that&#39;s gone back to being the mouse for my gaming PC. I&#39;ve put a Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse 2.0 that has drivers for OSX and I get all my buttons. Even though the Logitech mouse is nice the bluetooth base isn&#39;t supported by OSX as a Bluetooth "hub" and the buttons don&#39;t work properly, so I the Mac Mini loses out.

As to the printer driver, I tried the new version of stuffit, same error. I&#39;ve tried downloading multiple times multiple different ways and it won&#39;t uncompress. Next thought is to try and decompress on Windows and see if that works :o)

feeze
1st February 2005, 10:00 AM
This might sound like a really stupid question, but have you tried just plugging in the printer and seeing if Mac OS X recognises the printer automatically?

I vaguely recall when I used my mothers Lexmark (forgot which model) on my iBook I didn&#39;t have to install drivers, I could be wrong though. :blink:

dracomjb
1st February 2005, 10:03 AM
Well I would do that, but as it&#39;s a multi-function scanner, printer, copier, fax device that needs a Windows Fax device I have to leave it plugged into a Windows PC. I was trying to connect to it over the network and none of the pre-installed Lexmark drivers are for the X5150.

feeze
1st February 2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by dracomjb@Feb 1 2005, 10:03 AM
Well I would do that, but as it&#39;s a multi-function scanner, printer, copier, fax device that needs a Windows Fax device I have to leave it plugged into a Windows PC. I was trying to connect to it over the network and none of the pre-installed Lexmark drivers are for the X5150.
Well that explains alot, maybe in future I should at least lookup the model on the web before commenting. :P

sfcoy
1st February 2005, 10:15 AM
I just downloaded the X5100 Series Installer from the Lexmark site (http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJMX5100L1.hqx) using Safari.

Safari downloaded it and unpacked it just fine without any intervention from Stuffit.

dracomjb
1st February 2005, 10:26 AM
Giving it a try. I have been using Firefox up until now.

dracomjb
1st February 2005, 10:28 AM
Perfect, installing now. Must remember if something doesn&#39;t download properly in firefox try Safari.

dracomjb
1st February 2005, 10:37 AM
And now I find that the driver doesn&#39;t support networked printing. Never mind, I&#39;ll have to check later and see if I can print from Windows to the Apple. Failing that I&#39;ll just use PDFs and copy them across.