PDA

View Full Version : Ozbimmer / Super Sim iPhone unlock method

entropy
29th July 2007, 07:27 AM
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/07/28/telstra-iphone-sim-hack-video/

Apparently at this stage the hacker can only call out, but still......

Lucas
29th July 2007, 07:53 AM
Here is the direct link to the youtube video, the guy has two other videos there. I want an iphone so bad now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pubGSYatDIo

titan44
29th July 2007, 08:00 AM
go aussie hax0r's!

Not that i know much about sim hacking, but am i right in assuming he's spoofing the Carrier ID on the Telstra sim with the AT&T sim ( That's why he can make calls, but cant receive )?

OziMac
29th July 2007, 08:18 AM
If this is all hunky dory, terrific - but how exactly do you 'create a SIM' with the information from two other SIMs? I thought that was the kinda thing that the carriers kind of had locked up...

Exocet
29th July 2007, 08:58 AM
It can probably be done with a SIM-card burner.

OziMac
29th July 2007, 10:14 AM
Sorry exocet, could you please enlighten me - what are those, and are they readily accessible to mere mortals?

nbetts
29th July 2007, 01:46 PM
no, you really need some tech knowledge. Anyone can buy a sim copier/cloner. but using it and making it work in an iPhone is another thing altogether.

tintinaujapon
29th July 2007, 02:02 PM
Embedded youtube

pubGSYatDIo

Disko
29th July 2007, 03:04 PM
this was posted to the forums days ago chaps. :)

right here: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showpost.php?p=329453&postcount=58

LCGuy
30th July 2007, 03:08 PM
And its gone now :(

silverdreamer
30th July 2007, 03:16 PM
Move it to the Iphone Forum! Let people salivate there!:p

Dante Kyar
31st July 2007, 12:14 PM
Guess who made it into theage.com.au .....

ozbimmer

http://www.theage.com.au/news/phones--pdas/iphone-hacked-for-australia/2007/07/30/1185647803146.html

W2ttsy
31st July 2007, 02:04 PM
if anything this highlights the burning desire for aussie iPhone sales. Why Apple arent rushing to capitalise on this is beyond me but I guess they have their reasons.

W2ttsy

Hamsmyth
31st July 2007, 03:08 PM
"This video is no longer available"

Exocet
1st August 2007, 06:33 AM
An IMSI (Intl. Mobile Subscriber Identity) number is made up of several parts, the first six digits isolate a country and carrier, the next 9 isolate an individual SIM card (SIM Serial, check the back of your SIM). I believe ozbimmer may have taken the MCC and MNC (Mobile Country Code, Mobile Network Code) from the AT&T card, and then inserted the SIM Serial from the Telstra card.

As such, the iPhone sees the MCC and MNC and verifies it as an AT&T card, whereas Telstra sees a SIM Serial it recognises. For the purpose of outgoing calls, the phone and network are happy!

This is pure speculation, but from my knowledge, GSM only uses the SIM Serial for outgoing calls, as the country and network addressing information is assumed by the network you're registered to. The only time the MCC and MNC is used is for incoming calls, when the network has to find your SIMcard within the world.

I'll speak to some of my colleagues at work today and verify some of this, but its certainly ingenious.

Disclaimer: Some of my info may be slightly off until I can verify it. I'm writing this from the train and haven't had my morning coffee yet :)

nbetts
1st August 2007, 08:50 AM
if anyone wants to try this with my iPhone pm me ;-)

OziMac
6th August 2007, 01:15 AM
Following up on this, has anyone had any success with this method on Telstra or any other compatible Australian network?

I've noticed that some people in Europe have been able to get calls and SMS in as well.

nbetts
6th August 2007, 07:53 AM
It seems a few people are getting this to work. But if you read the deb wiki they too are very close to a full unlock

OziMac
6th August 2007, 09:03 AM
Yeah, that's clearly not the question I asked, but thanks anyway. :)

nbetts
6th August 2007, 10:53 AM
I have not seen anyone from oz get this up and running yet. I do know someone working on it today so will report back. So far they have calls in and out. No SMS in and out yet

Exocet
6th August 2007, 11:17 AM
GSM uses different bearers for incoming and outgoing voice, and incoming and outgoing sms. All of which use different bits of information to verify the authorisation of the user to perform that role on the network. Unlocking outgoing voice calls for example won't instantly unlock incoming voice too, or SMS.

Pesky network :D

OziMac
6th August 2007, 11:54 AM
Exocet - just how dodgy / borderline legal is the Super SIM method? Is SIM cloning an acceptable practice? Apparently Optus seem to offer their own Super SIMs...

Exocet
6th August 2007, 12:14 PM
I'll have a check over Telstra's Customer Terms and ask around at work. However he's essentially purchased a legitimate SIM and service from Telstra. The SIM serial is what's used to identify individual customers so he's not evading any billing constraints. Don't take this as gospel though, I'm in no position to give you a definitive legal answer. Any super-SIM creation you undertake is entirely at your own risk!

Furthermore, does anybody have a link explaining exactly what OzBimmer has done? What I posted earlier was only speculation, I still dunno what he's done with the three SIMs.

Jedda
6th August 2007, 12:18 PM
It's working for me. :)

OziMac
6th August 2007, 12:28 PM
Jedda - really? Calls in/out? Care to share which network / where you got the materials from?

Exocet - there's a step by step guide on the Dev forums.

Exocet
7th August 2007, 07:38 AM
Ok guys, officially Super-SIM modifcations are on shaky legal ground with Telstra. Telstra's Customer Terms state that to be eligable for a Telstra service you must have a Telstra Phone Plan and Telstra SIM Card. A user-created Super-SIM is not a Telstra SIM, and as such violates the customer terms you agreed to when you signed your contract.

On a brighter note though, my speculation about how GSM handles authentication on incoming/outgoing calls was correct. However, on every fourth of fifth call the entire IMSI is sent on outgoing calls for verification and an incorrect MCC and MNC will result in a call failure, and possibility of your account being flagged.

Its my advice that people do not attempt the Super-SIM tactic on Telstra's network. I cannot speak for other networks. Furthermore, I suppose I should put some sort of disclaimer in here - despite the fact that I work for Telstra Mobiles is fairly well known on these forums, I am by no means a representative of the organisation. The views expressed are my own and do not reflect those held by Telstra Corporation Ltd. But seriously, don't Super-SIM on Telstra.

decryption
7th August 2007, 08:03 AM
It's working for me. :)

Please do tell :D

g5agogo
7th August 2007, 09:35 PM
Exocet,

So if you do have a Telstra phone plan and a Telstra SIM, do the Customer Terms state that the actual Telstra SIM has to be in the phone?

Exocet
7th August 2007, 10:12 PM
It doesn't state that your SIM has to be in a phone, but you cannot use a non-Telstra SIM on the Telstra network. Home made super-SIMs are a violation of the customer terms as you are using a non-Telstra SIM on the Telstra network. To pull it directly from the terms (http://www.telstra.com.au/customerterms/docs/mobilegeneral.pdf),

8.9 You can only use a SIM card that we provide you with handsets or other devices that
have been approved by us for use on our networks.

g5agogo
9th August 2007, 04:51 PM
Exocet,

It's an interesting read. To me it appears that the clause refers to commercial use. Refer to Clause 8.6 which specifically states that 8.7 to 8.10 specifically refer to non-retail use i.e. wholesalers and retailers attempting to by-pass wholesaler agreements.

It doesn't look as clear-cut to me as perhaps it does to you.