PDA

View Full Version : Skype - total loss of sound!

Bexford
28th July 2007, 07:01 PM
I am running OX 10.3.9 and version 2.6.0.151 of Skype itself and for some reason in recent weeks, I have lost all sound.

going to skype > preferences > notifications....they are all set correctly. however, when I go the audio tab within prefs...it has mysteriously switched from internal speakers for output.....to built in headphones. so I changed it back to internal speakers thinking that would fix it....but STILL no sound.

I then double-checked within system prefs that sound output was set correctly....which it is. so even when both skype prefs and system prefs for audio match, NO SOUND.

when I quit skype and relaunch....it has then flicked back to inbuilt headphones again.

has anyone got an ideas??? it's driving me mad as I keep missing calls and messages etc.

thanks in advance.

cheers
Bex

rob05
28th July 2007, 07:21 PM
The best way I have found is using a usb headset the one I have is a Logitec USB Headset 250

More info can be found here:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/internet_headsets_phones/devices/228&cl=au,en

This is the only pair that works well that I have found.

Bexford
28th July 2007, 07:36 PM
hi there....thanks for the reply but maybe I didn't make myself clear.

I have never used a headset with Skype....have never needed to as the sound from the internal speakers on my powerbook has always been ok for my needs.

this is solely abut the program itself....I am not getting the notification sound when you sign in, when a contact comes online, when I receive a message etc etc and I always used to!!

:confused:

rob05
28th July 2007, 07:47 PM
Sorry about that.

It maybe a bug within the latest version of skype which is still a beta from the info I can find.

I am not sure but you could try this to see if there any differences

Setup a test account and try skype in it to see if the same problem exists.

I will do some testing this end to see what happens and post back.

rob05
28th July 2007, 08:00 PM
Strange I am seeing the same issue with the latest version of skype under 10.4.10 an didn't have previously. I am also loosing the sound when using the headset.

cawivaco
28th July 2007, 08:58 PM
Me too. However I'm on 10.4.10 and using version 2.6.0.137 of Skype. It usually works with the inbult speaker and mic. Tried to talk to someone the other day and they couldn't hear me either.

rob05
28th July 2007, 09:05 PM
I have sent a bug report to skype to see if it helps. I have tried a couple of other apps which can use similar input and all are working normally for me.

silverdreamer
28th July 2007, 09:24 PM
Me too. However I'm on 10.4.10 and using version 2.6.0.137 of Skype. It usually works with the inbult speaker and mic. Tried to talk to someone the other day and they couldn't hear me either.

Latest version for Mac is 2.6.0.151 and it's not Beta

Not finding any problems here. Using internal speakers and Mic.

froggy
28th July 2007, 09:27 PM
This seems a bit strange!

I'm on 10.4.10 and using Skype 2.6.0.148 and I tried calling the Skype Test Call (echo123). It asks you to record a message which will then be played back to you.

Just before the end of the playback, I heard only the beginning of what I said.

Is it just a delay, really bad delay, problem?

rob05
28th July 2007, 09:34 PM
I have now tried version 2.6.0.148 which works without any problems for me. I also tried the latest version 2.6.0.151 which is giving me hassles even after removing all the skype plist files. and starting it afresh.

I tried also deleting all caches and temporary files to no avail. the permissions and HD check out fine without any problems. Also other audio apps which can use the internal speakers and mic are unaffected.