PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: iPhoto 5

wickeddigital
31st January 2005, 07:59 PM
Just a warning to everyone who may about to be upgrading to iLife 05 and iPhoto 5 in particular.

We received our first stock today and I upgraded my laptop, opened up iPhoto in which I have over 4000 high res images mostly of my daughters.

Attached is an image of what the upgrade did to my library! Apart from the obvious mess it has made of my images (failing to update the thumbnails for most of my library), it is slow as a wet week when it hits the area where it has failed to create thumbnails for images, which is most of them. Thus rendering my iPhoto library useless. It eventually crashes....

So BACK UP YOUR LIBRARY FIRST!

Disko
31st January 2005, 08:06 PM
I also had this problem... I'm still optimistic that removing/reinstalling iLife04 will fix it. Here's hoping.

hawker
31st January 2005, 08:14 PM
That sucks,

Thanks for the heads up Steve. Dad would have freaked if he lost his 7000 photos, although most are backed up!

wickeddigital
31st January 2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jan 31 2005, 08:06 PM
I also had this problem... I'm still optimistic that removing/reinstalling iLife04 will fix it. Here's hoping.
Let me know if it works.....as I am doubting the app is forward compatable, unless of course it ignores the thumbnails created.

wickeddigital
31st January 2005, 08:40 PM
I found this on the web Disko.....

" Just because of this I would go back to iPhoto4, but of course, after upgrading, my pictures cannot be read by earlier versions."

We are stuffed!

Rayd
31st January 2005, 08:40 PM
didnt happen to me :)

mivory
31st January 2005, 08:45 PM
That sucks. I can't understand how software manufacturers and computer companies can churn out stuff that doesn't work, and you need to download patches etc... By rights, if you purchase software as an 'upgrade' you should be able to expect it to be better, not worse. Apple are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to rush things through without quality control lately. I think it's a real worry. I thought one of their special qualities at apple was that 'it just works' out of the box. But more and more I see on this site reports of faulty ipods, ibooks, iMac overheating, software glitches on new releases etc... It's pretty poor. I hope they wake up to themselves and bring the focus back onto consistent quality.

feeze
31st January 2005, 08:45 PM
It's supposidly due to the fact that iPhoto 5 cannot read acorrupted photo library. I read somewhere that pressing command-option-shift and openeing iPhoto 4 will repair the photo library. This has to be done before installing iPhoto 5. I believe there are instructions on the Apple support forum.

Still very pathetic on Apple's behalf.

markh
31st January 2005, 08:50 PM
this was pointed out on www.macosxhints.com a week ago

wickeddigital
31st January 2005, 08:58 PM
It seems we are not alone:

http://www.macintouch.com/iphoto11.html

Shows many people having huge problems with IP5.

I believe the biggest problem is that they don't test it with any sort of substantialy large library, I only have 4000+ images and it is slow......

wickeddigital
31st January 2005, 09:21 PM
OK guys and gals here it seems is the tip of the day PRIOR to installing iPhoto 5 - something Apple should hav emade VERY clear to all iPhoto 5 users!

http://www.xvsxp.com/articles/050123-iphoto5.php

The important part being:

If you are upgrading to iLife '05, REBUILD YOUR IPHOTO LIBRARY FIRST! (Prior to installing iLife 05, hold down command-option-shift and launch iPhoto 4. It will ask if you want to rebuild your library. Say yes.)

If you do not, and if your iPhoto library is corrupted (you may not even know that your library is corrupted) your iPhoto library will fail to upgrade it correctly. Whole collections of photos may disappear. That is exactly what happened to me. Apple makes no warning of this in their documentation, I suspect because they never tested an iPhoto upgrade of a corrupted database. Shame on them.

decryption
31st January 2005, 10:39 PM
What a fucking shit problem.
This is the kind of grabage I expect from a 3rd party Windows developer, not bloody Apple.
I'm glad I haven't got me a copy yet, otherwise I'd have lost my photos. My beautiful precious photos of which there are no backup :(

*Goes to backup now*

wickeddigital
31st January 2005, 11:21 PM
OK Solution found for thise who have already installed iPhoto 5 and had problems....

1) Back up your library (Just in case)

2) Hold down command-option-shift and launch iPhoto 5. It will ask if you want to rebuild your library. Say yes.....and then wait. Yes this works on iPhoto 5 as well - at least it did for mine.

Comet
1st February 2005, 03:27 AM
I had a problem where iPhoto5 was working fine when one day it decided to not boot itself. It crashed everytime I loaded it. Found out something was wrong with the library and not the program itself.

In the end I was able to resolve this issue by downloading
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo...eedback&vid=All (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13532&mode=feedback&vid=All)
which changed the permissions, but must have did something to the library itself. All is resolved now

MacNut
1st February 2005, 07:22 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU

I got iLife 05 yesterday and as usual logged into Appletalk. Saw this

T :angry:

Talk about being saved by the bell :blink:

Sorry about your problems but thanks for the timely warning

zefi
1st February 2005, 09:17 AM
We all take backing-up for granted I am afraid. Thank you for letting us know about this issue, I rebuilt my library and it took a while to do. I was surprised at how many photos needed to be 'repaired'.

purana
1st February 2005, 09:48 AM
I have been holding off installing it, as I was waiting for new iphototogallery plugin.. which got released about 2 days ago if anyone missed out on finding out.

I will be backing up library, as I do every few months :) Thanks for the tip on rebuilding the library. I might do that tonight I think, just to confirm it is ok.

estoyloco
1st February 2005, 04:04 PM
Good call Zefi, this sucks but by the time i get around to getting a copy it should be all sweet..

If you havent backed up your stuff then its your fault... i know thats controversial but its the truth..

I'm a backup freak now after some problems where i lost around 4000 photos...

Phillip
1st February 2005, 04:33 PM
Apple has serious quality control problems with iPhoto 5. Its a great release and all but I have this strange problem that I can't create new Smart Albums.

I have a new library cause the upgrading completing stuffed up on me and now I have to replace it (Luckily backed up) but its still a pain.

Bring on 4.0.1

DJY
1st February 2005, 07:23 PM
I just tried to rebuild my library in iPhoto4 prior to installinlg iLife05 when I pick it up tomorrow...
and iPhoto4 unexpected quit on me?!
I think it had finished... but not sure...
opened the app - and I think all my pics are there - will go searching now...
collection says its 2492 photos - but I wasn't sure how many I had...

Any ideas? or should I be okay to install iLife05 tomorrow do you think?

Secoa
5th February 2005, 07:50 PM
sorry to ask a dumb question but as this is my first rebuild of my iPhoto library, when I went to rebuild it asked for a library name. do I use another name or what??

wickeddigital
5th February 2005, 07:56 PM
Yes give it a new name and it creates a new library.

snax
5th February 2005, 08:26 PM
I backed up my photo library before installing iLife '05, because the READ ME TOLD ME TO!!!!

soulman
6th February 2005, 03:10 AM
Available now on Software Update - 2.7MB:

"iPhoto 5.0.1 addresses issues with upgrading iPhoto 4 libraries, dragging albums into folders, importing MPEG 4 movies, and also includes a number of other minor fixes."

I had a minor problem where the "Open in external editor" command in the contextual menu (when clicking an image in browse mode) was dimmed. This is fixed.

DJY
6th February 2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by wickeddigital@Feb 5 2005, 07:56 PM
Yes give it a new name and it creates a new library.
When I re-built my collection - but didn't give it a new name...
iPhoto4 crashed on me at the end.

Had a back up anyway - but iPhoto5 installed no problems at all.

brentonbrenton
6th February 2005, 11:54 AM
i agree completely with snax above post; sounds like some people have acted like giddy school girls, slapped the disk in without any reading of the included readme's and off they went.

kim@torchpublishing.com.au
6th February 2005, 04:56 PM
Put me down for a 'me too' as far as the backup advocates are concerned. I have a firewire drive at the office which backs up my entire powerbook and also a backup of my home folder on my iPod. I've also got countless CD/DVD backups of precious things like photos.

It certainly seems the more you backup the fewer problems you have:)

FWIW, I've installed iLife 5 without problem and it seems to be faster than iPhoto 4. Having said that, I mainly use iView MediaPro as it's just a lot better at everything. The only reason I keep iPhoto is for its integration with the other apps.

If you don't have backups and subsequently lose things there's only one person to blame - and it ain't Apple.

cheers

kim

richbrunn
7th February 2005, 06:25 AM
I think that I figured out the problem as to why iphoto 5 in iLife 05 is having trouble for some people. I had the exact same problem and now all of my photos are present and the program is zipping right along.

First off, I'm at least using a 800 mhz iMac 17' with 768 ram and I was using which ever iphoto version came bundled with Panther as I passed up on getting iLife 04.

In this Panther iPhoto version, I noticed that when I deleted certain photos, that you were still able to see the thumbnails or some version of these same photos in my "pictures" folder, so I then deleted those by hand, which may be what some people are now referring to as "corrupted".

I'm pretty sure that this is what caused the difficulty. When you look in any of the folders that iPhoto accesses, such as (pictures/iPhoto Library/2004/01/01/) you usually at least see three folders: Thumbs, Originals and Data (which is probably used for storing additional information). My hypothesis is that this Data was consulted by the new iPhoto 5 to, in the set up process, it then determine that I had some "improperly placed files that it could recover" (o something like that, that it specifically asked about in the settup process). I just thought "oh, wow, good, well let's check em out". Try clarifying the problem by going to the finder and you'll probably be able to find some .jpg files with "zero" file size.

The very first thing that I saw in opening up iPhoto 5 for the first time was a large empty frame and got the spiral of death. After numerous force quits and restarts I realized that iPhoto 5 only slowed down and spiraled when one or more of these "empty" photos was present on the screen. The key though is that the spiral is not always infinite.

Here's what I did (do only one step at a time as each will inevitably cause the spiral of death for at times even a few minutes):

1. Click on the "last roll" button (at least on mine I realized that about 4-5 (visible) of 56 (total) of these were photos that I definitely remembered as having once deleted).
2. Select all (apple + a)
3. Move your mouse over any one of the selected items in this group.
4. Hold down the ctrl button and click, which should give you a bunch of options
5. Click the button "Move to trash" (if your nervous about this, remember that in at least iPhoto 5, photos can be removed from the trash as long as it's not emptied).
6. Click the "Library" button
7. Sit back and enjoy what I at least consider to be the amazingly improved performance of iPhoto.

Hopefully this helps.

kudos
7th February 2005, 09:55 AM
I'm having a problem with iPhoto.....

Before upgrading to v5 I followed protocol and backed up my
photo library, which took about 2 hours (2400 pics).

Just as the process was completing iPhoto crashed!

On opening iPhoto (v4 still) I now noticed that it was running slightly slower,
it was also taking ages to close wheras before it was almost instant. It was
pointing to the new backup so I changed it back to the original library,
but no change.

I have now upgraded to v5, and then to 5.01, no problems with the thumbnails..
but..I'm still getting the shut down problem, it's taking 12 seconds to shut down!

Any ideas guys???

Cheers

Kudos

kudos
7th February 2005, 10:32 AM
Actually I just checked Apples support pages for iPhoto 5 and I'm
not the only one with issues. Many people are having severe issues
with it, crashes, minutes to load up or shut down, date inconsistencies
the list goes on...

Fixes please Mr Apple...

Kudos

wickeddigital
7th February 2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by kudos@Feb 7 2005, 09:55 AM
but..I'm still getting the shut down problem, it's taking 12 seconds to shut down!
That all? Mine takes about 90 seconds to shutdown...there are serious flaws in this upgrade and has been clearly rushed to market without proper testing if you ask me.

And as for the crashing v4 on rebuild - I got that on my wife's Mac as well. It seems now that opening in v5 and then rebuilding is the way to go.....that is what i was forced to do in the end and it worked for me at least.