PDA

View Full Version : iChat Audio over dial up?

ford.boy
31st January 2005, 06:31 PM
I must be missing something.

iChat AV's Audio is supposed to be ok over a dial up connection, right?
Well apparently not, cause I can't connect to anyone using AIM 5.5+ (haven't trie Ichat to iChat though.)

I'm getting cable soon, but would like to chat with my dial up friends with audio.
is itjust me, or do I have to check a box or click a different button?

My AIM is applecorrnut if you would be kind enough to help me test it out B)

Squozen
31st January 2005, 06:37 PM
Well, I couldn't get iChat working from my ADSL connection to my girlfriend operating out of an Aboriginal community in the NT over a 16.8kbps line :P

Yes, I know there's sod-all chance of that working, I was joking okaaaaay

ford.boy
31st January 2005, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Jan 31 2005, 06:37 PM
Well, I couldn't get iChat working from my ADSL connection to my girlfriend operating out of an Aboriginal community in the NT over a 16.8kbps line :P

Yes, I know there's sod-all chance of that working, I was joking okaaaaay
lol Quick reply. not exactly helpful, but quick ;)

Squozen
31st January 2005, 07:03 PM
Ok, I'll try being more helpful. The first thing to check is firewalls - are either party using them? Turn them off if so. What happens then?

The Apple site specifies a minimum of a 33kbps dialup to use voice chat, so what you're trying should be possible.

I'll be online at around 11pm (working night shift) to help troubleshoot if you need assistance.

bernie234
31st January 2005, 07:03 PM
I use iSight to talk with and to see my son in London through aol Aus end and .Mac London end with no worries but you have to set up your buddies

ford.boy
31st January 2005, 07:46 PM
Thanks squozen, much appreciated.

Squozen
31st January 2005, 10:06 PM
iChat - iChat worked fine.

I just downloaded AIM to test with my PC, and Jesus, it's like an explosion in an abortion factory. People put up with that shitty interface? Let's not even mention the cavalcade of ads!

iChat - Trillian 3.0 Basic works, although I can't seem to initiate from iChat, but going from Trillian to iChat works fine.

From the Apple forums (no idea if it's true):

If neither of you has a webcam, I'm afraid you won't be able to audio chat via AIM/iChat -- it's currently not possible. I don't know whether using Trillian makes a difference; someone else will be able to tell you that. Sorry.

ford.boy
1st February 2005, 10:55 AM
Well that's most absurd indeed.
The friend I'd like to talk to is getting an ibook soon, but this is ridiculous. You'd think appleprgrammers would be all over this seemingly simple thing. I mean it's not like it's recoding a whole version of quark.

Squozen
1st February 2005, 11:16 AM
Have you considered using Skype?

ford.boy
1st February 2005, 01:42 PM
My friends are very untech'd.

so I say "skype" :)

They say "huh?" :huh:

Squozen
2nd February 2005, 02:01 PM
And you say 'www.skype.com' and they say 'oh!'

josh64
2nd February 2005, 02:13 PM
after reading this thread, i tried out ichat audio over dialup with my friend in Armidale, and it works very well, unless you try to visit a website at the same time :)

When telstra upgrade our RIM (06/05/05!!) I'll be able to get ADSL and use the iSight as well!

CarbonRods
7th February 2005, 03:08 PM
We did iChat to iChat audio on the weekend with the OP using a dial-up account and it worked very well. We also tried Skype and the sound quality was better than iChat.

Both of us used the eMac built-in microphones.

SR