PDA

View Full Version : I got a New Macbook from ebay and been "Cheatted"!!!

t43
27th July 2007, 05:39 PM
hi i have a new macbook.
i am so happy and now i have a question:

will the macbook able to run Leopard when it comes out in oct? will it be too slow to run or some function can not be fully working? thx !!

andrew.wilson
27th July 2007, 05:41 PM
Congrats on that lucky purchase!

Your new MB will be more than able to run Leopard perfectly!

Rasta
27th July 2007, 05:42 PM
If a G4 is going to run Leopard... you're not going to have any trouble..

Can't help but think there is someone else around whinging because they've got the model you were meant to, while you're laughing about having theirs!

Aa
27th July 2007, 06:06 PM
Score!

Well done mate. Leopard will go great on that little baby.

doofus
27th July 2007, 06:17 PM
Buy yourself a lottery ticket its your lucky day!

Rayd
27th July 2007, 06:25 PM
phoa.!!! mate u are the luckiest player indeed!
congrats on an amazing purchase!

purana
27th July 2007, 06:25 PM
I started to read, and I thought honestly this was another post where someone got ripped off from a new ebay user. Guess this buyer was lucky, I certainly wouldn't be so trusting of a new ebay person selling such a expensive item with no track record previously.

I'd say someone got lucky and dealt with someone honest and was just starting out on ebay (surprise surprise).

Congrads on the purchase.

SyncMan
27th July 2007, 06:32 PM
it is 2G RAM and 200G hard disk, i was shocked and even more supprised when i checked the online store price: $2390+$419 applecare, so all together is over $2800!!! and i have only paid $1400!!! :) :D

I started to read, and I thought honestly this was another post where someone got ripped off from a new ebay user. Guess this buyer was lucky, I certainly wouldn't be so trusting of a new ebay person selling such a expensive item with no track record previously.

I can only say one thing...

STOLEN MACBOOK!!!

Wait till you try and register the free Applecare :mad:

Anyone here missing a MacBook?

t43
27th July 2007, 07:00 PM

STOLEN MACBOOK!!!

hey, thx for reminding me, i have just checked , the macbook 's warrenty is ends on the 05/07/2010!!

so i guess, it is ok , not a stolen macbook.

t43
27th July 2007, 07:01 PM
and thx guys , and one more question, is the office 2007 for mac coming soon?

peteryan7hao
27th July 2007, 07:10 PM
OMG Im so jealous now!!! I paid $2250 for my macbook (1GB ram, 60 GB hard drive, core duo) :( :( :(

alexc
27th July 2007, 07:17 PM
after i took the macbook out of the sealed pocket and switched on, i checked the system. OMG !!!!!
it is 2G RAM and 200G hard disk, i was shocked and even more supprised when i checked the online store price: $2390+$419 applecare, so all together is over $2800!!! and i have only paid $1400!!! :) :D

hmmm. if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Sounds dodgy to me.

Or the seller made a mistake and sent you the wrong one. The honorable thing to do would be to rectify the mistake with the seller. :)

OziMac
27th July 2007, 07:22 PM
OMG Im so jealous now!!! I paid $2250 for my macbook (1GB ram, 60 GB hard drive, core duo) :( :( :(

Yes, but you have an iPhone, and given the crazy number of photos you've been posting of it, you have no right to be jealous of anybody. ;)

meinrosebud
27th July 2007, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I suspect something too. Was there not a Ram Raid at the Sydney Apple store recently?

grorr76

STOLEN MACBOOK!!!

congrats on yr luck. but something definitely smells about this deal. just because the applecare is current doesn't mean it aint of the back of a truck..

iMac
The honorable thing to do would be to rectify the mistake with the seller. :)

Or just stay quiet and profit from someone else's misfortune lol.

It's what the media have been doing for centuries. lol. :p

applecollector
27th July 2007, 07:43 PM
congrats on yr luck. but something definitely smells about this deal. just because the applecare is current doesn't mean it aint of the back of a truck..

Who cares now,
His got a macbook and even if it "were" off the back of a truck if the serial number wasn't given to apple he has no problem.
But if it was.....

Mr.Walker
27th July 2007, 07:52 PM
Or the seller had no minimum bid, and there were no others interested in the auction and he got lucky?

But it doesnt explain the differences in the specs. Something probably isnt right. I am guessing either he was unsure of the units actual specs and just released the "standard" specs for the machine. Or the wrong machine was sent off to the wrong buyers.

Walker

spilla
27th July 2007, 08:00 PM
Or the wrong machine was sent off to the wrong buyers.

When we get a new user tomorrow, who starts a topic titled "eBay seller ripped me off!", I guess we'll know what happened. http://spilla.net/files/lol.gif

hiredgoon
27th July 2007, 08:11 PM
Hes lying!

grorr76
27th July 2007, 08:27 PM
what would be interesting is if the unit needed repair and they ran the serial number. but yeah somethings fishy either fibbing or stolen is my guess, to bigger differential.

t43
27th July 2007, 08:33 PM
hey guys, the seller has the original invoice from the apple store and the serial number is ok with apple centre when i checked.

the seller memtioned his macbook was $2390, and that is exclude the apple care. however, i thought $2390 is macbook 1900+apple care 419 =23xx. so i was mistaken, the actual laptop is as he said 2390 ,and the apple care is something he give me for free.

btw, when i took the macbook to the apple shop coz i want to know how much it worth, they checked the laptop and told me $1500:eek:

t43
27th July 2007, 08:48 PM
Or the seller had no minimum bid, and there were no others interested in the auction and he got lucky?

But it doesnt explain the differences in the specs. Something probably isnt right. I am guessing either he was unsure of the units actual specs and just released the "standard" specs for the machine. Or the wrong machine was sent off to the wrong buyers.

Walker

yes you are right. he looks not sure how to use ebay. and on the ebay, he just put the standard spec.

i think because he is new to the ebay, he is not sure how much he can get at the end of the auction. when there is 2 days left, bid is only $350, so.....

the package he send me is exactly same as when the apple store sends him. the address the apple store sent him is same as the address he send me.

so i think i have made the things very clear.:) please do not say bad things to me any more:(

Byrd
27th July 2007, 08:48 PM
Well done on your bargain t43, but as the Apple shop noted, it's second hand and already lost a large percentage of it's original purchase price as soon as you walked out of the door.

Good price, but RAM and hard disks are hardly overpriced items these days - both are cheaper than ever! it's hardly stolen - you still paid a decent amount for something from someone that most eBay members are scared of, ie. a "new" eBayer with an expensive item for sale. I'd be surprised if it was stolen.

JB

t43
27th July 2007, 08:54 PM
Well done on your bargain t43, but as the Apple shop noted, it's second hand and already lost a large percentage of it's original purchase price as soon as you walked out of the door.

Good price, but RAM and hard disks are hardly overpriced items these days - both are cheaper than ever! it's hardly stolen - you still paid a decent amount for something from someone that most eBay members are scared of, ie. a "new" eBayer with an expensive item for sale. I'd be surprised if it was stolen.

JB

thanks JB, really appriciate!!!!!:)

Currawong
27th July 2007, 09:09 PM
I wonder who the Applecare was originally registered to? The seller or someone else? You might find the original person who registered it had it stolen from them.

zen
27th July 2007, 09:14 PM
Your one lucky man :)

Wish something like that happened to me when I bought my Macbook Pro earlier this week, nope. I just got what I paid for :p

t43
27th July 2007, 09:21 PM
I wonder who the Applecare was originally registered to? The seller or someone else? You might find the original person who registered it had it stolen from them.

apple care is registered with the seller, his name is same as the name on the invoice and the person who send me the laptop. now i have transfered under my name now:D

limpboy
27th July 2007, 09:49 PM
apple care is registered with the seller, his name is same as the name on the invoice and the person who send me the laptop. now i have transfered under my name now:D

That should stop all the "It's stolen" posts. A very good buy. I just wished all my eBay purchases went so well.

purana
27th July 2007, 10:36 PM
It would be my guess the seller bought it via Salary Sac or something, then instantly sold it.

AppleSammy
27th July 2007, 11:06 PM
congrats and enjoy your MB!

a fine machine.
Applesammy :)

sanjay
28th July 2007, 01:28 AM
i love ebay noobs, thats how i got my compaq laptop (in sig) for $600 posted, brand new :)

semaja2
28th July 2007, 02:34 AM
i sold my iBook 12" G4 (mid-2005) on ebay for 810AUD i thought that was a great deal for me :P mind you i sold a iMac 17" C2D 2ghz for 1100AUD only 6 months old, but not bad for a scratched screen.

The thing is AppleCare does not get much price boost on eBay and all you need to do is make it sound good and usually you can get much more then any real Mac user would suggest

paulharrop
28th July 2007, 08:26 AM
Good luck mate!

Don't let the conversation get you down.

You seem to have acquired a really good deal.

Take it and enjoy it!

cheers

Paul:thumbup: :thumbup:

Squozen
28th July 2007, 08:33 AM
i love ebay noobs, thats how i got my compaq laptop (in sig) for $600 posted, brand new :)

The downside being that you ended up with a Compaq. :)

ilostmypassword
28th July 2007, 09:51 AM
Maybe you should change your thread title? It's a little mis-leading :)

Congrats on the laptop- lets hope the Karma is good for you ;)

stewiesno1
28th July 2007, 10:20 AM
Good score . His loss = your gain. Enjoy your new MB + Applecare.
Stewie

kaisersozay
28th July 2007, 11:07 AM
You are certainly lucky, T43 and it ended well.
No criticism of you, but your thread title is not that uncommon and every time I see it I will chuck in the one simple protection a buyer can use... Escrow...
http://www.escrowaustralia.com.au/
eBay is not quite the dangerous place so many people are claiming, but if you intend to buy something over the amount you are prepared to lose, email the seller and ask if he will accept Escrow.
If they are flakes, you will not get a reply. If they are genuine, they will reply but maybe with a 'no' response. You can accept that and drop the purchase or ask again offering to pay all the escrow fee. If the seller goes for it, factor in your top buy price, less the Escrow fee and go for it.
The same principle works for any large purchase and it doesn't have to be eBay.
If you watch Top Gear and ask the question, 'How many clicks to the liter?' when buying your Aston Martin... you shouldn't be buying one.

zerophil
28th July 2007, 06:39 PM
Just to point out that it is rare to put one over on Apple...they track EVERY serial number and if it is registered as stolen...well...bad luck. They will find you. If they havent yet then chances are it is buyers remorse.
"I just got this fantastic computer with (insert spec here) and the dealer says its the BEST THERE IS..." ,
"But..dude..its a mac, so it cant do anything no matter how fast it is" , "But he said it can run Windows and EVERYTHING!?!" ,
" Yeah but I have been (insert random IT position here) for years and I know (insert brag here about how much he can do with a PC) and this guy obviously knows (PG13), sell it on Ebay for whatever you can get and I will build you a machine!"
"...oh...okay..."
*sigh* if ignorance is bliss then this guy could possibly be the most ecstatic man in existence right about....now.

wesleyong
28th July 2007, 06:55 PM
Congrats on the great buy, I've also had a lot of very happy ebay purchases!

SyncMan
29th July 2007, 05:22 AM
Should not re-write history, just because you are unhappy with it.