PDA

View Full Version : 12" PB Headphone socket?

spathi
31st January 2005, 11:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to where I could get a headphone socket the same as the ones in the 12" (and other AL) powerbooks?

Powerbook was in a bag and fell off a chair and landed on its side, unfortunately the headphones were plugged in and its left a small dent, but more importantly the socket snapped clean off the motherboard. i've pulled it all apart and found the logic board is fine, but i need a new socket, I don't think i can fix this one.

I've checked jaycar.com.au, dicksmith.com.au and RSaustralia.com with no luck. I have found a few similar sockets but none the correct size.

I have also emailed every "powerbook spares" site under the sun (couldn't find any aussie ones though)

Any help as to where i could source one from would be great. at this stage i might use the line in port (assuming its the same) but id rather have a fully functioning PB.

Highly appreciate any suggestions

purana
31st January 2005, 12:47 PM
NO wonder the apple spares places can't help.. the bit in question is not a spare... The logic board would be replaced to fix that problem...

Your best bet might be finding a board with a similar type of headphone socket on it and taking it... ie desolder it and resolder onto your logic board.

Good luck :)

spathi
31st January 2005, 12:55 PM
thanks iodine, thats what im currently looking to do, but as yet i haven't found a socket small enough. i've checked a few pc motherboards, small potable radios.. cant find much at all.

I realise its not an actual apple spare parts, when i talked about emailed spare parts places i was referring to places that sell logic board etc, some of the sites claim to sell bits off them..

I knew without asking apple would just say replace the logic board, it seems crazy for a part that ought to cost a few bucks.

thanks for the suggestion, Ill keep looking :)

purana
31st January 2005, 02:18 PM
Getting someones logic board is going to be pretty difficult.. unless of course someone just recently drove off with it on the roof and then later claimed it on insurance..

I guess it might take you time to track one down...