PDA

View Full Version : 270K iPhones sold

iSlayer
26th July 2007, 07:19 AM
Apple announced they have sold 270,000 iPhones during todays earnings call. Much less then alot of people predicted but still a good number.
Apple's stock price plummeted recently after AT&T announced they only activated 146,000 iPhones in the first few days so 270,000 doesnt seem all that bad after that. Should bring the stock price up again.

Edit - the 270,000 figure is for the 30 hours it was on sale during Q3

BLINDER
26th July 2007, 08:05 AM
It would be interesting to have context to the figure.
How well do other phone models sell when released?
Also - will Apple drop the price for the phone at some point in the next 12 months?
Will it work like the ipod did upon release - my memory was that the ipod was well received but it took a generation or two (?) before it became THE tool of choice...

Aa
26th July 2007, 08:25 AM
It would be interesting to have context to the figure.
How well do other phone models sell when released?
Also - will Apple drop the price for the phone at some point in the next 12 months?
Will it work like the ipod did upon release - my memory was that the ipod was well received but it took a generation or two (?) before it became THE tool of choice...

There were quotes from experts saying that 50k is a wonderful figure for any model release and is rarely achieved. So 270k is a enormous sales figure. I'd speculate it's unmatched in any single phone release - but i'm no expert..

It only pales in comparison to the figures bandied about to get extra digs (http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/03/iphone.breaks.att.record/).

W2ttsy
26th July 2007, 08:26 AM
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1723585385

after reading this article about the proof of concept to address some serious flaws in iPhone's security model, im sure that sales may stem quite substantially until v.2

W2ttsy

Aa
26th July 2007, 08:36 AM
Had a look around to find some big phone release sales figures and came accross this link (http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/31/magazines/fortune/razr_greatteams_fortune/index.htm).

looks like the razr launch was probably bigger (though it was released worldwide so it's not surprising). they sold 700 000 in the first quarter they were released in 04, and went on to sell their 50 000 000th before the end of the 05/06 financial year.

iSlayer
26th July 2007, 08:38 AM
The 270k figure is only for 30 hours(the time it was on sale before end of Q3) so total sold by now is would be much much higher

And a quote from MacWorld

During a question and answer session with analysts following Peter Oppenheimer’s preamble, Apple COO Tim Cook said that AT&T reports that it sold more iPhones during the first weekend than it had sold in a month of any other wireless device in its history.

Aa
26th July 2007, 08:46 AM
yeah right, i didn't realise that iSlayer.

thats one shitload of phones.

Shere Khaan
26th July 2007, 11:27 AM
As I suspected Apple did sell far more iphones than the AT&T figure of activated iphones in the first 2 days listed in another thread. That was 146,000 in 48 hours, so 270,000 in 30 hours is substantially more.