PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new handset for a 3 account

omelette
25th July 2007, 10:11 PM
I've lost my Nokia N70 on a 3 business account and am looking for recommendations for a new handset.
The N70 was rubbish - slow to boot, and lacking the earlier Nokia's intuitive interface and its screen was too small for a PDA. I was interested in the Palm 680 but have been told that it won't work on the 3 network and am not sure if I want a Palm 750 as it's using a windoze OS. The key functions (other than a phone) I would like are synchronisation with entourage and/or exchange server, access to AvantGo and synchonisation with iTunes for Podcasts etc. ... oh yes and I need to get a new handset next week, so can't wait until the iPhone becomes a viable option in Oz.
Any thoughts? :confused:

omelette
28th July 2007, 08:16 AM
I need to get the handset asap, so have added a poll to get your input :)

scritch
28th July 2007, 10:02 AM
Quite possibly the best phone I have ever owned is the N95 and I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you can, try and get one that is unbranded (original Nokia) rather than one from 3. The only difference is they pre-install an icon for Orb (which you can access via the browser anyway), and also Skype (which you can install from Planet 3)... oh and the non-branded of course doesn't have 3 written all over it and can be used on other networks :)

I think 3 provide a leather(ette?) case as well, which the unbranded doesn't have.

Regards,
Shane.

decryption
28th July 2007, 10:04 AM
Disko just picked up a Nokia E65 and he loves it. I'm getting the Nokia E61i in a few weeks too :)

mjankor
28th July 2007, 10:31 AM
Nokia 6110 Navigator is quite good too. The GPS is better than the N95 but it doesn't have wifi. I got mine for $600.

E|dan
28th July 2007, 10:34 AM
i have bad experiences with phones from 3...simply becuase they locked up their phones and also they have their own software installed into the phone which makes the phone practically useless with out paying 3 to unlock everything....

nicwithsticks
28th July 2007, 11:38 AM
I have the k800i - and I used to love it. That was before it broke and needed to be sent away for repairs, three separate times! I look after my phones, and my handset is still in very good condition having just passed its 1st birthday.

If I have to get an interim handset while waiting for the iPhone it will be a Nokia. The e65 and 6110 are both solid phones, I wish I had one of them!

decryption
28th July 2007, 12:19 PM
i have bad experiences with phones from 3...simply becuase they locked up their phones and also they have their own software installed into the phone which makes the phone practically useless with out paying 3 to unlock everything....

My Nokia 6280 works the exact same as a 6280 without the 3 firmware. The only difference is the "Planet 3" button and a 3 logo on the casing.

What sort of troubles did you have due to 3's firmware restricting you?

Shere Khaan
28th July 2007, 12:30 PM
Depends what you need the handset for. You seem to have smart phones and pda phones.

If a smart phone will do, have a look at the nokia 6120 Classic. It came out this week and I picked one up. Pretty happy with it so far but I never owned a smart phone before. It works beautifully as a modem for my laptop on NextG/3G too.

kingkangkong
28th July 2007, 02:28 PM
Disko just picked up a Nokia E65 and he loves it. I'm getting the Nokia E61i in a few weeks too :)

Im waiting for the E61i as well.

seems to take forever to get here.

Was willing to settle for a E61 but even that is hard to find.

decryption
28th July 2007, 02:43 PM
You can get a Nokia E61i from Next Mobile (http://www.nextmobile.com.au) (Disko got his E65 from them), if you want to buy it outright :)

kingkangkong
28th July 2007, 02:59 PM
Great!

I guess I'll be getting my grubby lil paws on a new phone soon.

thanks for the link!

tangent23
28th July 2007, 11:02 PM
a couple of my friends have the dopod and are pretty happy with them

mac_man_luke
28th July 2007, 11:11 PM
I love my k800i, excellent phone!

kingkangkong
29th July 2007, 02:25 AM
hmm.

i have a dopod now and its a POS.

iMac
11th August 2007, 11:30 PM
yup I can second dopods being shit. I bought one and am now looking at downgrading to a SE W880im simply because the dopod is too big and isn't that reliable.