PDA

View Full Version : iStat Pro 4.1 - Heatsink B temperature

myanagisawa
25th July 2007, 05:38 AM
I have been enjoying the iStat Pro 4.1 on my first-generation 13" MacBook (2GHz Core Duo), and have noticed an anomaly: My "Heatsink B" temperature reading often fluctuates anywhere from as low as 2 degree C to as high as 126 degree C. This cannot be correct, and I am wondering if anybody else has noticed similar phenomenon. All other temperature readings seem reasonable and normal. Is my temp sensor hardware on Heatsink B defective? -- Or is this a known anomaly of the iStat Pro or the IntelSensorsiStatPro ???

Thank you for the great piece of software; I look forward to a response!

iSlayer
26th July 2007, 10:32 AM
Hi,
I don't have a definite answer sorry. We don't have a macbook to test with so i cant confirm its a bug. I don't think we have received any other reports of the same issue though so it could be a faulty sensor in your system.

myanagisawa
26th July 2007, 03:27 PM
Hi,
I don't have a definite answer sorry. We don't have a macbook to test with so i cant confirm its a bug. I don't think we have received any other reports of the same issue though so it could be a faulty sensor in your system.

Thanks for the response. Yes, that is my impression, too.

The only thing I hope is that the alleged sensor defect does not cause anything really bad -- after all, if I wasn't using iStat Pro, I would have never noticed it...

THanks again!

iSlayer
26th July 2007, 03:32 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. I'd think that aslong as all the other sensors are fine there shouldn't be any issues.

nergllak
29th October 2007, 09:44 AM
hey i know this thread is old but i get the exact same problem in istat pro 4.2. right now heatsink b is at 58 degrees C but two minutes ago it was 126 degrees exactly. now it is at 113 degrees. it really likes that 126 number... maybe it is the maximum? i won't worry about it, but if anybody has updated information on it that would be nice.

iSlayer
29th October 2007, 12:00 PM
It's just these 2 reports still so we still think its more likely to be a system specific issue rather then a global issue

iTrooper
29th October 2007, 12:55 PM
Where does one get this wonderful program?

iSlayer
29th October 2007, 01:36 PM
Where does one get this wonderful program?

http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=7

iTrooper
29th October 2007, 01:39 PM
Ahhh, how very creative you are iSlayer, thank you for the link, I shall download it & check it out when I get home today.

miffyelmo
17th January 2008, 09:17 AM
Hi,

Like the previous guy, I know this thread is old, but I found it after a short search in google. I have the same symptom as the previous two posters on my MacBook with iStat Pro 4.5 except it's the Heatsink A temperature that displays 126 degrees C. It did fluctuate right down to single digits, but is now stuck at 126!

There is no way that the actual temperature is 126, I'm sure of that and so am not worried about it. Just thought I'd add another report for anyone else looking.

saperlipopette
14th May 2008, 03:19 AM
I am wondering if there is something defective in all of our macbooks (sensor) or if it is something wrong with iStat. I am too having this problem. Heatsink A goes from 6 degrees to 126 degrees ... hopefully it is iStat and not the more expensive, problematic option.

If anything gets updated, please let me know!

anythinglah
26th May 2008, 04:48 PM
The same goes for my Macbook (CoreDuo) .. 126degrees for Heatsink B .. i'm using istat pro 4.6

xja
21st June 2008, 01:58 AM
Hi,
this is my first message,
I found only this website talking about the Heatsink sensor.
I have this same problem with Heatsink A on MacBook 1,1, right now is showing 125 C, sometimes it shows a very low temp, often 90C.
Did someone tried a PMU reset? I'm thinking about it, I don't know if it will solve the problem.
The most strange thing about that is that the system seems not to care about this sensor, I mean, the fan is always quiet, even if Heatsikn A is "boiling".

Bye

slark
1st March 2009, 10:41 PM
I am also reading 126 degrees C on Heatsink A reported with both iStat pro 4.7 and Temperature Monitor (http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html) 4.6. Temperature Monitor have a FAQ on this very issue:

The application displays a warning that I am using an Intel CPU with out-of-date microcode and that the per-core temperature sensors may stop working after the system is waking from sleep mode. What should I do?
Temperature Monitor: Notes (http://www.bresink.com/osx/0TemperatureMonitor/issues.html)

RemoteSensingMac
16th March 2009, 12:31 AM
hey there!
indeed this thread is old, as well as the Heatsink B temperature issues (as described before) I'm observing on my mid-2006 MacBook (2nd build) since using iStat Menus 1.3 (by the way a neat little app, thx iSlayer)
I found that the pretty annoying fan noise, which occurs from time to time, might be related to Heatsink B falsely alternating between high 3-digit temps e.g. 126C and extremely low temps around 20C within the blink of an eye...
I wonder if the heat sink issues are somehow related to obviously B-part heatsinks built-in by ASUS in 2006, which even caused heat-related shut downs... as reported here (in German) fscklog: MacBook: Heatsink im Vergleich (http://www.fscklog.com/2006/10/macbook_heatsin.html)
One guy (see link) replaced the heatsink and found the problem resolved... there was a poorly soldered "hobby-garage-build" heatsink in his early build MacBook Intel Core Duo...
This might be the reason...

gr8bob
18th March 2009, 04:47 PM
Try popping the diagnostics CD/DVD that came with your machine (press and hold "D" with the disc in the drive during power-up) into the drive and run a simple diagnostics test. If there were any faulty sensors it'll be easier to pin-point the fault.

RemoteSensingMac
19th March 2009, 01:45 AM
thx!
I gonna try that... however I talked with apple and they offered to replace the faulty heat sink under my apple care protection plan. They told me about a cable issue with the heat sink. The sensor itself should work fine but the cable attached to it is too close to the hot heat pipe, thus melting the plastic insulation, resulting in faulty measurements of the sensor... a replacement with a differently and better designed heat pipe would actually prevent the fan to spin up for no reason... I guess I will hand my macbook in...
IMPORTANT NOTE! According to Apple the solution proposed here only applies to 1st build macbooks as of June/July 2006... so in my first post I was wrong with my claim that I would own a 2nd build device...
I hope these remarks will be helpful for some of you out there.

RemoteSensingMac
19th March 2009, 01:51 AM
I talked with apple and they offered to replace the faulty heat sink under my apple care protection plan. They told me about a cable issue with the heat sink. The sensor itself should work fine but the cable attached to it is too close to the hot heat pipe, thus melting the plastic insulation, resulting in faulty measurements of the sensor... a replacement with a differently and better designed heat pipe would actually prevent the fan to spin up for no reason... I guess I will hand my macbook in...
IMPORTANT NOTE! According to Apple the solution proposed here only applies to 1st build macbooks as of June/July 2006... so in my first post I was wrong with my claim that I would own a 2nd build device...
I hope these remarks will be helpful for some of you out there.