PDA

View Full Version : Replacement iBook trackpads?

spilla
24th July 2007, 06:05 PM
My iBook G4 is around 1.5 years old, but the trackpad is getting quite shiny and it's not as easy to move my finger around on.

Does Apple (or 3rd parties) sell replacement trackpads? Failing that, is there some sort of sticker type thing that I can apply to it?

I don't mind doing it myself, as the warranty is already expired. :)

Edit: It was the last model iBook, so it has the two-finger scroll function.

melaus
24th July 2007, 06:35 PM
Just call Apple and ask for help.

Brains
24th July 2007, 06:53 PM
spilla: whilst trackpads can and do wear out physically, one thing that can stop them from working properly is a build-up of grease from your fingertips.

Get some isopropyl alcohol (meths will do in a pinch) and a paper towel, fold the towel into a wad, wet it with the iso and use it to give the trackpad a firm scrubbing. If you use meths, use a fresh paper towel or lint-free cloth and clean it down with distilled or filtered water to clean off the residue.

If a clean doesn't give you a bit more life out of it, then it's truly on its last legs and requires replacement. You can order replacement trackpads for your model from the US, through Wegener Media or iFixit, if you don't mind doing the replacement yourself.

B.

spilla
25th July 2007, 12:02 AM
Thanks Brains, I'll try the meth method tommorrow.

If that doesn't work, I'll guess I'll just have to live with it, as I didn't think that the replacement trackpads required a whole new top casing, which was a bit more expensive than what I was hoping for. http://spilla.net/files/lol.gif

scokim
25th July 2007, 06:28 AM
Please keep us updated. I have a few ibooks that need the same attention.

sanjay
27th July 2007, 01:06 AM
i dont mind the shiny-ness that the centre of my G4 ibook's trackpad is getting, but im certain there are stickers that you can put over the surface to give it that rough feel again.

Brains
27th July 2007, 02:43 AM
For screens that rely on a pressure-sensitive mechanism (such as PDA screens), yes. Not for trackpads, which rely on capacitance or RF.

B.

Mctastic
27th July 2007, 06:46 AM
i've personally repaired a few trackpad issues recently. since i have 'dead' ibooks all over the pl;ace, . . i've in some instances ripped a trackpad off an old topcase. it is just glued in place, . and as long as i don't bend it too much when removing, it always works ok. suppose if somebody asked, i would bill a small bit of labour plus ... in total say $100, .... which is nominal considering i have to remove the bottom case, .. a bunch of screws before i do this.... consider bying one second hand from a service centre & doing it yourself,.. can save the labour cost....

STK
27th July 2007, 07:23 AM
a soft plastic eraser get's the shininess off... dont use those cheap erasers though.