PDA

View Full Version : My wireless is iffy!!

Thom
24th July 2007, 02:43 PM
Hey,
I have an Airport Extreme (11N) network in my home and connected to it are a MacBook, an Intel Mac Mini and a Macbook Pro. Everything works great- except my Macbook Pro!!!

About one in three boots leaves me with no wireless access- an all grey wireless symbol and no visible networks. Turning the wireless card off and on has no effect at all. There are at least 5 wireless networks visible from my home at any time and my lady can be online and running fine on her MB when this happens.

The only solution I've found is a restart and often it's the second restart that brings the wireless back. This is extremely annoying... and it gets worse!

Whenever I put the MBP to sleep it's a 50/50 chance whether the wireless problem described above will have turned up or not.

I've looked around the Apple boards and have tried a few things (deleting some library file and things, I can't really remember) but nothing seems to have worked and I can't take it any more!!

Do any of your geniuses know what to do or is it another trip to MyMac for this baby?

Brains
24th July 2007, 03:15 PM
How about stop using wireless altogether? Click the link in my signature.

At the very least, wait for 11n to become recognised as a standard before trying to use it and wondering why different chipsets won't talk nicely to each other.

B.

Disko
24th July 2007, 03:22 PM
Brains, please don't troll wireless threads.

Do any of your geniuses know what to do or is it another trip to MyMac for this baby?

That was exactly what i'd have suggested... get a tech to look at it.

Last ditch attempt troubleshooting: Try a new user account on the macbook pro. Try turning off security on the network. Try changing the security on the network.

jubilantjeremy
24th July 2007, 04:10 PM
Try Disko's suggestion first, but if that doesn't help, I would have a go booting (via target disk mode) from another intel mac - so you're using your hardware but a different OSX. If it still stuffs up, you know it's your hardware.

You could also try the reverse (putting your machine into target disk mode and booting from another mac), and obviously, if it still stuffs up on the other machine, it's your software.

Jeremy

patcanuck
24th July 2007, 04:46 PM
Perhaps have a look at the threads regarding wireless problems being experienced by owners of Macbooks and MacBookPro who have updated to 10.4.10 :)

silverdreamer
24th July 2007, 05:00 PM
try this.

Go> Utilities>Airport admin utility>Highlight your network>configure

Airport(First Tab)

Down the bottom there is a channell setting with a drop down menu,

Change the channel.

Hope this works.
:)

Thom
24th July 2007, 08:51 PM
Hey,
Thanks guys, I'll try these out and report back ASAP.

...Well, thanks to most of you , anyway!

Currawong
24th July 2007, 09:08 PM
There was a wireless update for MBP's...did you install it?

BlueBucket
24th July 2007, 09:30 PM
Hi all!

I don't know whether my problem is the same, but I've had problems since I got my MBP 2.4 last month, however I only have problems with Safari/Firefox and any other downloading (ie Software update, dashboard widgets) in the Mac OS, not when surfing the web through IE in Windows XP using Parallels? This is on the same laptop! I'm totally stumped. :confused:

I have another iMac (Rev A intel about 18 months old) on the same network (Optus Cable plugged into a Airport Express, with 1 WDS) yet the iMac seems unaffected, and my brothers Windows computer seems unaffected aswell (directly linked to the WDS).

Should I take my MBP back to shop? I bought it at DJ's so I'm worried they are going to look at me with two heads! :D

(I've installed all updates, and have tried resetting the network a couple of times).

Any ideas would be helpful!

One very confused Blue Bucket :(

Thom
1st August 2007, 12:09 PM
Just an update... I found I had all the relevant updates that were available and switching channels didn't work. I was just gearing up for the annoyance of being computerless while it's being investigated by some professionals but Apple have released another update specifically for intel macs!

More news as it breaks...

~Coxy
1st August 2007, 12:25 PM
I just installed the latest update and my Rev A MBP is still being shitty about connecting to certain wireless networks at all.

I feel the pain. :(

asphotos
1st August 2007, 12:46 PM
brains, can you stop with the "we are all going to die" drivelle..

your diatribe is only fit for john laws listeners,

dont mix science with the little voices inside yourt head,

do you get around wearing this?

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h158/octolora/tinfoil1.jpg

Thom
15th August 2007, 11:48 PM
Two wireless updates down and nothings changed... Looks like it's back to MyMac.

I just feel like a drop-kick when I take stuff in and can't accurately replicate the issue! Damn damn damn random problems!