PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Battery life

Paul R
24th July 2007, 02:42 PM
Hello,
I have a problem with my battery (17" intel macbook pro). Hope someone might have some ideas, I usually have my laptop permanently powered in sleep mode when not in use and use it on battery for about two hours each day. Just lately, when on battery, it only gets down to about 70 to 80% and turns itself off! The laptop is about 12 months old. Is there any way I can do a test of the battery? I have upgraded the battery software to no avail,Help!
cheers,
Paul

andrew.wilson
24th July 2007, 02:46 PM
Google 'Coconut Battery'

Te easiest, nicest looking way to find out all kinds of details about your battery.

Paul R
24th July 2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks Andrew,
I have downloaded coconutBattery and now have it as a handy widget. My loadcycles are 107 and age of Mac 15mths. Current capacity 6003mAh (original 5500mAh). Is there any way I can do a load check on the battery?
Paul

andrew.wilson
24th July 2007, 03:12 PM
Hmm...with a health like that, your battery should be performing fine...perhaps try refreshing your battery as per these instructions and see how it goes:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Hope that helps...if not...give Apple a call..but judging by the age of your computer, whether you do that or not will depend on whether you have AppleCare....

Paul R
24th July 2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks again Andrew,
I read the article and this is basically what I am doing each day but now I dont see the "low Battery " warning, it just shuts down long before it should. Unfortunately I dont have Applecare(although they probably wouldnt cover batteries anyway) but I will give Apple a call to see if they can help
thanks for your quick response!
cheers
paul