PDA

View Full Version : How to quickly transfer files from Mac to PC?

vwl
23rd July 2007, 09:19 PM
Hi all, I've searched the forum and can't seem to find an easy and short answer to this.

I need to transfer ~ 20GB of .rec files (from PVR) on my Powerbook to my Windows XP laptop. I have enabled Windows sharing in my PB but I can't access the PB from my Windows laptop. Can anyone shed some light on how to do this?

Many thanks. If anyone out there has a Topfield PVR and has managed to get Mac TF to upload and download files without constantly crashing, I would really appreciate some advice. The reason why I am transferring the .rec files to my XP laptop is simply because (dare I say it) the PC version of Altair to upload files is far more stable and reliable than the Mac based Mac TF.

Cheers

purana
23rd July 2007, 09:26 PM
Hi all, I've searched the forum and can't seem to find an easy and short answer to this.

I need to transfer ~ 20GB of .rec files (from PVR) on my Powerbook to my Windows XP laptop. I have enabled Windows sharing in my PB but I can't access the PB from my Windows laptop. Can anyone shed some light on how to do this?

Many thanks. If anyone out there has a Topfield PVR and has managed to get Mac TF to upload and download files without constantly crashing, I would really appreciate some advice. The reason why I am transferring the .rec files to my XP laptop is simply because (dare I say it) the PC version of Altair to upload files is far more stable and reliable than the Mac based Mac TF.

Cheers

MacTF works okay here, although not used it for sometime. Have you tried using an older version to confirm it's okay.

As to the share, once you setup Windows Sharing and ticked a user to enable it for (and set a password) you just do \\ipaddress on the Windows machine to the ip of the Mac currently, when prompted for user/pass use the one you setup.

Simple really.

rtc
23rd July 2007, 09:32 PM
kdx.

www.haxial.com

vwl
23rd July 2007, 09:48 PM
MacTF works okay here, although not used it for sometime. Have you tried using an older version to confirm it's okay.

As to the share, once you setup Windows Sharing and ticked a user to enable it for (and set a password) you just do \\ipaddress on the Windows machine to the ip of the Mac currently, when prompted for user/pass use the one you setup.

Simple really.

Thanks purana, it does sound simple enough except that when I go to the Windows machine and go to to ipaddress, it doesn't go anywhere. Are there some settings I nneed to check on the windows machine?

Cheers

vwl
23rd July 2007, 10:22 PM

Simple really.

Oh, I have tried an earlier version of Mac TF but still having hanging issues.

denwol
23rd July 2007, 10:34 PM
its easier to go the other way. Share a folder in xp and then go to network in your finder and the xp machine should pop up.

vwl
23rd July 2007, 10:47 PM
its easier to go the other way. Share a folder in xp and then go to network in your finder and the xp machine should pop up.

Thanks denwol. I've just tried that but nothing shows up in my network on the Mac.

Do I need to change/disable any firewall settings on either machine??

denwol
23rd July 2007, 10:50 PM
shouldnt have to,
make sure both macines have their setting set to use dhcp

vwl
23rd July 2007, 11:09 PM
yep, checked that. This is getting very frustrating...

The files are on an external HDD which is formatted for Mac only (connected to my Powerbook via FireWire). Can I simply directly connect the HDD with my windows laptop that way?

gaehl
23rd July 2007, 11:59 PM
If the HDD is formatted FAT32 then it will work no problems if its HFS then windows will not be able to access it without Macdrive (a program for accessing mac drives on windows).

On the file sharing problem how are the computers hooked up (we might be able to fix that so you have file sharing in the future).

vwl
24th July 2007, 01:02 AM
If the HDD is formatted FAT32 then it will work no problems if its HFS then windows will not be able to access it without Macdrive (a program for accessing mac drives on windows).

On the file sharing problem how are the computers hooked up (we might be able to fix that so you have file sharing in the future).

hi gaehl, the 2 laptops are on the same wireless network.

Do they need to be connected by some other way (ethernet to ethernet)?

I've googled some other methods of using crossover cables etc but that all sounds too complicated.

As for the external HDD, it's formatted HFS so I'm in no luck there.

thanks.

trickcycle
24th July 2007, 01:44 AM
MPEG streamclip is the best program for transferring Topfield .rec files from PVR to a powerbook. Get it from squared5.com.

milliedog
24th July 2007, 05:36 AM
yep, checked that. This is getting very frustrating...

The files are on an external HDD which is formatted for Mac only (connected to my Powerbook via FireWire). Can I simply directly connect the HDD with my windows laptop that way?

Macdrive allows you to mount an HFS disk in Windows. Download the demo (http://www.mediafour.com/support/trials_updates.asp) (I think it lasts 5 days).

Squozen
24th July 2007, 07:45 AM
You could just turn the FTP server on and transfer them that way. Quick and easy.

purana
24th July 2007, 08:53 AM
MPEG streamclip is the best program for transferring Topfield .rec files from PVR to a powerbook. Get it from squared5.com.

I think you'll find the poster has no issues getting files down, just pushing them back doesn't seem to work as well. (or what it appears to read like).

scokim
24th July 2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks denwol. I've just tried that but nothing shows up in my network on the Mac.

Do I need to change/disable any firewall settings on either machine??

Have you checked the share permission on your xp folder to make sure that
1) you are sharing it out to the right user group or "everyone"
2) the shares have the right attributes

rtc
24th July 2007, 07:18 PM
are you logged on to the xp machine as a domain user or a local user?

i.e. are you logged on to a domain or workgroup name, or to "this computer"?

win2k and winxp restrict the ability to network out of the machine zone unless it is logged on as "this computer" (i.e. when you are logged on as a local clone user of a usual domain or workgroup user).

Alternatively, try "connect to server" in the finder, and type exactly the following:
cifs://192.168.1.1/c$

(where "192.168.1.1" is replaced by the IP address of the XP machine).

This can work because all win2k and winxp machines have a default share called "c$" which is your whole c drive shared out, and it's difficult to UN-share it. It is an invisible share, i.e. you can navigate to it by typing it in, but it won't show up in the list of shares once you access the machine window.

vwl
24th July 2007, 08:24 PM
are you logged on to the xp machine as a domain user or a local user?

i.e. are you logged on to a domain or workgroup name, or to "this computer"?

win2k and winxp restrict the ability to network out of the machine zone unless it is logged on as "this computer" (i.e. when you are logged on as a local clone user of a usual domain or workgroup user).

Alternatively, try "connect to server" in the finder, and type exactly the following:
cifs://192.168.1.1/c$

(where "192.168.1.1" is replaced by the IP address of the XP machine).

This can work because all win2k and winxp machines have a default share called "c$" which is your whole c drive shared out, and it's difficult to UN-share it. It is an invisible share, i.e. you can navigate to it by typing it in, but it won't show up in the list of shares once you access the machine window.

Hi rtc, I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I think I am logged on to a domain rather than "this computer". I will check this. thanks.

The windows laptop is happily accessing the files from my external HDD using MacDrive as suggested by milliedog - thanks for the tip, works really well.

I happened to drop into my friendly mac reseller today and they said it may well be that although the Mac and Windows machines are on the same wireless network, my wireless router may not support file sharing. Not sure how to check this but that could have been another problem.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Ended up being a long exercise (still uploading 30GB of files!) but MacDrive seems to have saved the day.

Next project - now having upgraded my Topfield 80GB HDD to 320GB, have to think what I can do with the old 80GB drive!