PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Tardiness

Rasta
21st July 2007, 06:33 AM
Uh oh...

iPhone lovers aren't going to like this

Apple iPhone won't arrive until late 2008 (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22105399-2,00.html)

(according to news.com.au)

This quote has me particularly down mouthed...

Sources suggest Telstra has shown most interest and appears to be early favourite to carry the device in 2008.

entropy
21st July 2007, 07:22 AM
Oh I don't know. I was particualry amused at this quote:

Optus also slammed the door on speculation with a similarly short statement.

"For commercial reasons, Optus cannot comment on future product launches."

Has Optus been studying at the Apple school of winding up future product announcements?

tcn33
21st July 2007, 07:26 AM
news.com.au? This article would have more credibility if it were written on toilet paper.

BLINDER
21st July 2007, 07:35 AM
Any telco worth their salt would be all over this product.
Late 08 seems a long way away especially now that our dollar buys so much of the US stuff...
As for "news.com" and toilet paper - where do you think the staffer wrote it??:)

Kuma
21st July 2007, 07:43 AM
Shit so many iPhone threads
where to drop this gem in

I'll go with the latest thread...

Lightspeed Research has concluded, after a survey of 39,000 Americans, that one in three Americans want an iPhone. According (http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070715/tc_pcworld/134594) to Reuters, 32 percent of those who don't currently own an iPhone plan to buy one, with 8 percent intending to do so within the next three months. Ninety percent of respondents had heard of the device, too

Although I could also drop it in the 3G discussion....

For a phone which is proving to be so hot.. you would think any telco would be saying to Apple... "Where do we sign??? We want no need the iPhone NOW!!!!"

Apparently the number of switchers has been huge.

It also proves that the masses don't care about no stinking 3G..
Other phone makers must be shitting themselves...

nicwithsticks
21st July 2007, 03:57 PM
news.com.au? This article would have more credibility if it were written on toilet paper.

Correct! This article is based on nothing but conjecture, citing a "decidedly lukewarm response" from telco's as a reason for the delays. The article has nothing to substantiate these claims apart from the fact that most telco's wont comment on if they'll carry the phone or not - pretty standard commentary for an unreleased product i would think.

It's just another iPhone related news piece because they know people are hot for them right now. More clicks+adds on each page=money for Newscorp. That's all this is,I wouldn't take any of it as gospel that's for sure.

silverdreamer
21st July 2007, 04:23 PM
I won't be suprised if it does not appear here until early 2009. :)
But then it doesn't really bother me, I can't see myself buying one, I am going to stick with my ear phone, :p

walexx
21st July 2007, 04:45 PM
For those who say they wont use it, or that its not for them, or they can wait for it, once you have acutally used one, it becomes quite addictive that is very difficult to put it down and suddenly that "i can wait for it', will be "I cant wait anymore !" :)

Thiis phone is sh*t hot. It takes only a few mins to figure out and get used to navigating around it, and for a rev A, Apple have done an amazing job. It oozes quality and feels solid, and switching between fuctions is as fast as all the videos shown.

I got one for the novelty factor of getting one, but now am already finding practical uses for it. Ok so I cant use it as a phone in Aus, but web browsing and email features make it very useful for short trips saving me lugging my laptop around. The Ipod feature obviously speaks for itself.

Im sure the telcos out there are falling over themselves trying to get this phone signed to their network. For any user out there thinking they dont need a phone like this, that thought is quickly changed after trying it out, and the telcos out there know this is a sure fire way to get more subscribers signed up and locked in.

I guess the only benefit is that by the time we get it, it will be a much better phone with lots of the missing pieces ie: 3G, video recorder, a hgher pixel camerae etc included as well as a few more toys (hopefully GPS) thrown in.

This phone has exceeded my expectations and I know it will everyone else out there. I took mine to work yesterday and half the guys there are already in line to buy one once they become avail here.

Apple have a gold mine, and the telcos are just hanging outside with their picks ready to dig for gold :). Thats why they are all being so cagey, They all want it !!!. I do agree, the Optus comments sound soooo Apple hehehe.

marc
21st July 2007, 04:50 PM
I'm with nicwithsticks. The only people that know anything about the iPhone Australia release either work at Apple or a telco with a signed deal on the table. Everything else is just speculation.