PDA

View Full Version : 1st Day with Macbook Pro..

NelsonX
20th July 2007, 02:05 PM
g'day all - just thought I let you know I am the proud owner of a new Macbook Pro, and must say its one sweet machine. It was delivered yesterday (bad timing) as I was rushing to complete a study assignment.

A couple of newbie questions below (help):
- how do I allow permissions on a usb hard drive/stick - in order to delete files;
- when installing programs (such Adobe Acrobat) I have an icon that looks like a drive of some sort - can I delete it?

Anyway I have to commend apple for a nicely designed product.

Nelson

Rasta
20th July 2007, 02:08 PM
Congrats on the new baby!

For the ownership/permissions, just right click on it when it's on the desktop and go to Get Info and you can alter the permissions there (I would have thought)

After you've installed the application (simply by dropping it in your application folder) you can delete the 'drive looking' icon as it's just the image and the application has already been installed.

soadaholic
20th July 2007, 02:57 PM
great work on the purchase... I might be doing the same in the next few weeks :)

Mikey D
20th July 2007, 03:14 PM
- how do I allow permissions on a usb hard drive/stick - in order to delete files;
- when installing programs (such Adobe Acrobat) I have an icon that looks like a drive of some sort - can I delete it?

The second is a mounted disk image, if you drag it to the trash the trash can will change to an eject icon - so no fear.

usbhard drive might be formatted as ntfs.. if so you'll likely want to reformat it as hfs+.. depends on your use, though.

NelsonX
20th July 2007, 06:34 PM
thanks, I'm still getting use to the OS - but very nice. I'm dreading going back to Vista (except no choice - as I need excel, word, and my password prog.). I'm using fusion for this however.

So many things to do..

Nelson.
ps. can anyone recommend a backup solution. I have an external USB drive but also look for an online alternative.

The Fluffy Duck
20th July 2007, 06:47 PM
excel and word exist on a mac too.

NelsonX
20th July 2007, 06:59 PM
I'll probably wait for the next release. Strangely the Office Mac expired yesterday (apparently your supposed to have a 30 day trial).

What do you recommend installing on the mac?

Nelson

kingkangkong
20th July 2007, 07:03 PM
open office seems to be quite popular with mac users.

give it a go and see if you like it.

as for me, im just waiting for the new office mac

DJY
20th July 2007, 11:17 PM
I prefer Office for Mac over Office on a Windoze machine by a long shot!

For a range of reasons!
Can't wait for the UB new version though!

Lovin my new MBP as well! IT screams along nice and quickly for most apps that are either Apple or UB!

hiredgoon
20th July 2007, 11:36 PM
hey. i have had mine for just over a month and just worked out how fix wireless as it wasnt auto connecting. all i can say is : its beautiful

NelsonX
21st July 2007, 12:37 AM
yeah I'm extremely pleased with the purchase..

Can you/anyone recommend any useful programs to install on the mac? I know this has been asked before, but i couldn't find anything using the 'forum search'.

semaja2
21st July 2007, 12:46 AM
Check my sites cool mac apps list, it has apps specific to the laptop line that are just fun :P

Johnny Appleseed
21st July 2007, 12:53 AM
excel and word exist on a mac too.

In fact they existed on Mac before Windows!

You could always run them in Coherence mode in Parallels - then you wouldn't have to know you're in Windows!

hiredgoon
21st July 2007, 12:57 AM
i just downloaded a set of icons from interfacelift. and i dont want to pay for pixadex! why oh why. anyone got a suggestion?

Johnny Appleseed
21st July 2007, 01:08 AM
Use the demo version. It lets you apply icons 25 times or for 15 days.

Currawong
21st July 2007, 10:26 AM
The student version of MS Office for Mac is much cheaper than regular retail. It might be worth waiting as there's supposed to be a much better version released in the next few months.

jimdrum
22nd July 2007, 05:56 PM
thanks, I'm still getting use to the OS - but very nice. I'm dreading going back to Vista (except no choice - as I need excel, word, and my password prog.). I'm using fusion for this however.

So many things to do..

Nelson.
ps. can anyone recommend a backup solution. I have an external USB drive but also look for an online alternative.

The Mac OS has an excellent Keychain application that allows you to safely and conveniently store your passwords.