PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Activation hacks getting close

lavo
19th July 2007, 11:11 AM
Prepaid SIM now works (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/18/iphone-disposable-cellphone-prepaid-cards-new-activation-t/)

Obviously with a catch folks, so read the article thoroughly before bidding on ebay ;)

Dante Kyar
19th July 2007, 12:02 PM
nice, nice....

at least you dont need a plan. That would really suit me who just uses the phone for the occasional text message, but wants to use it for email, web, and ipod over a wifi network.... :)

- a heck of a lot cheaper than the cancellation fee and i presume fixes the problem of needing a social security number... well i hope it does.

iSlayer
19th July 2007, 12:03 PM
still along way from being unlocked.

Dante Kyar
19th July 2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah, but hopefully it means that when it does make it to Aus, it will just be a quick to a site online to fully unlock it if it ends up with telstra. (dont want to get into the what type of phone, who its with debate again... enough of those threads :P)

lavo
19th July 2007, 12:16 PM
Last week you couldn't use a different sim card, so that's got to count for something :-)

nbetts
19th July 2007, 12:16 PM
iSlayer: 19 days since release and the hackers have got an unlock solution (albeit still tied to AT&T in a way). Do you think a full unlock is still a long way off? of has most of the hard work been done now?

gehenna
19th July 2007, 12:29 PM
you're going on the rationale that the version to hit asia/pacific is going to be the same architecture as the US model. considering its most likely going to be a 3g phone in asia/pacific (we hope) then the internal structure will need to change, as will the software design. if this is the case it is highly likely that any unlock method that is used on a US iphone will not work on an international iphone - and it will be left to clever hackers outside of the US to develop an unlock method for the iphone. i only hope that the collective knowledge around the world is as good as (or superior) to the people who are working on unlocking the US iphone.

judging by everything else americans do it stands to reason that there are smarter people outside the states :)

nbetts
19th July 2007, 12:39 PM
From what i can gather the majority of people working on hacking the iPhone are not in the US, certianly in Hackint0sh there a lot of people around the globe. The way i read it there they are looking for a universal unlock solution, not just a US unlock... but they have to start somewhere.

lavo
19th July 2007, 12:53 PM
Do I have to activate my iPhone through iTunes? No. You can use one of the several iPhone activation tools to get your iPhone out of the "Please Connect To iTunes" pre-activation stage. After, your iPhone can be used to browse the Web with WiFi and synced to iTunes for content. You can snap photos and use email to send them to friends. You cannot, however, make phone calls without signing up for AT&T service directly through iTunes or by using this hack.

This would be the most important paragraph out of the whole article. While activation can done without iTunes, getting the phone part to work still requires iTunes and AT&T. That is the biggest stumbling block.

gehenna
19th July 2007, 12:58 PM
From what i can gather the majority of people working on hacking the iPhone are not in the US, certianly in Hackint0sh there a lot of people around the globe. The way i read it there they are looking for a universal unlock solution, not just a US unlock... but they have to start somewhere.

i guess there can't be a universal solution though when testing on only one version of the hardware.

iSlayer
19th July 2007, 01:03 PM
iSlayer: 19 days since release and the hackers have got an unlock solution (albeit still tied to AT&T in a way). Do you think a full unlock is still a long way off? of has most of the hard work been done now?

Personally i think a full unlock is still quite a while away.

Edge
19th July 2007, 01:15 PM
I agree it's a little way off yet. It won't happen until after the European release IMO, whenever that happens.