PDA

View Full Version : Problem playing CDs on PB

dann
28th January 2005, 03:58 PM
Hi all

Have had a problem with a couple of music CD's. They play fine on both a stereo and a PC. When i put them into my mac - they wont load, and the drive spits them out. They arent copy controlled, as far a i can tell... and the mac plays other CD's fine. Why not these ones? There are a few that won't play two that spring to mind are:
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots
Avalanches - Since i left you

Anyone have any ideas / workarounds so i can get these things to play (and put on my ipod?)

Cheers

Dan

hawker
28th January 2005, 04:44 PM
check apple.com and see if this is a known error, perhaps a firmware update is required along the way?

If not, it might need to go in for a service :(

Is it under warranty?

dann
28th January 2005, 05:07 PM
It is.. but this error occurred from new.
and only certain cd's

the_OM
28th January 2005, 05:08 PM
Same things happens to me too. I think its just that the slot-loading drives are pretty sensitive when it comes to small sctraches, fingerprints etc.. being on the disk.
Same with dvd's as well, some just get ejected from my pbook but play fine on my tray-loading ibook.

Ozi
28th January 2005, 05:17 PM
hmm perhaps you could burn the tracks onto a blank CD with the PC and then load them onto your mac that way? Not an elegent solution, I know. :(

I have the same problem too... a tiny scratch on one of my 12th Man CDs meant it wouldn't let me import.

_xfire
28th January 2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by dann@Jan 28 2005, 04:58 PM
There are a few that won't play two that spring to mind are:
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots
Avalanches - Since i left you

i've got both of these albums but haven't had any problems ripping them. i've got an ibook g4 800mhz. i have had problems with albums that aren't marked as copy controlled or anything like that with the drive not reading them and then being able to rip albums that ARE marked as copy controlled. go figure. i've had the thought of sending the ones that don't work back to the record companies for a) being dishonest about the way they go about preventing 'illegal file sharing' by not marking their cds as having these preventative measures and b.) dictating to me how i listen to the music that i enjoy. those bastards. /rant.
but if you can get around it, i'd probably suggest what ozi has already said. rip it to a pc (or a computer that it works with) and then burn it to a disc and transfer the music over that way.

dann
28th January 2005, 06:54 PM
Many thanks

I have tried importing a direct copy (thinking the originals might be scratched - causing probs with the slot load drive). This hasnt worked either. I think i will rip them - then burn the MP3's on to CD.

Cheers