PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] iPhone & 3G (Steve jobs, phone market & kitchen sink)

Kuma
18th July 2007, 06:57 PM
The thread was closed before I had a chance to reply...

Steve made no mention of when 3G would be made available and where

what he did say regarding availability was

Now, when’s it going to be available? We’re going to be shipping these in June. We’re announcing it today because with products like this we’ve got to go ahead and get FCC approval which takes a few months, and we thought it would be better if we introduced this rather than ask the FCC to introduce it for us. So here we are, and we’re going to be shipping it in June in the U.S. We’re going to Europe hopefully by the fourth calendar quarter of this year. And in Asia in 2008.and re 3G

iPhone is a quad-band, GSM plus Edge phone. We have decided to go with the most popular international standard, which is GSM. We’re on that bandwagon, headed on that roadmap, and plan to make 3G phones and all sorts of amazing things in the future.emphasis is mine.

No where has anyone said 3G will be the phone released in Europe or Asia.
Everybody is assuming that is what will be released because those markets are further along 3G deployment.

I am not saying that 3G release is not going to happen.. my point was purely that we no nothing about Apples plans for 3G release.

we can only speculate and make assumptions.

transcript source http://www.myitablet.com/complete-transcript-of-steve-jobs-macworld-conference-and-expo-january-9-2007-23447.php

W9cae
18th July 2007, 07:37 PM
Kuma thank you for finding the correct info. Hopefully the talk of 3g iPhone is put to rest now.

mechcon
18th July 2007, 07:47 PM
hah! yeah right.. tomorrow somebody else will ask if it'll be on virgin mobile.. or or here's something wacky.. vodafone!?!?!?

anyhow.. if any admins are reading this, perhaps an "iphone in australia" FAQ should be in order??

OziMac
18th July 2007, 08:12 PM
Good on you.

I hear Apple plan to release a new iMac soon. No word if it's going to be released in Australia though.

Currawong
18th July 2007, 09:05 PM
I hadn't realised the other thread was closed - I was going to say, the 3G markets are huge, I'm sure Apple could easily sell a few million 3G iphones in Japan, Korea and Australia easily.

marc
18th July 2007, 10:07 PM
Even reading those quotes I still get the feeling 3G is on the way for EU and Asia.

So... W9cae & Kuma... want to put some money on it?

sanjay
18th July 2007, 10:12 PM
hang on, when was the last macworld expo? :O

Exocet
18th July 2007, 10:46 PM
January this year?

Razer
18th July 2007, 11:33 PM
Isn't all talking about future mac products half the fun of being on an Apple forum? The assumption that there will be a 3G Iphone for Asia/Europe isn't the worst assumption ever, but as you say it's all made up :)

Kuma
18th July 2007, 11:57 PM
Even reading those quotes I still get the feeling 3G is on the way for EU and Asia.

So... W9cae & Kuma... want to put some money on it?

Nope

I believe that the rest of the world will be getting 3G models on debut...

I was just clarifying what we know
and what we dont.:)

I hadn't realised the other thread was closed - I was going to say, the 3G markets are huge, I'm sure Apple could easily sell a few million 3G iphones in Japan, Korea and Australia easily.

I dont know what it is like where you are Currawong.. but the nobody here (except Mac fanboys) know about the iPhone... I think Apple will have to do some heavy marketing to lift its profile here in Japan

W9cae
19th July 2007, 01:21 AM
Kuma I just had friends from Tokyo all they know from Apple is iPod. To them brands like Sony, Toshiba & National and likes are what comes to there mind. They really liked my mac mini, but felt they could buy a Sony Vaio for allot less in Japan.

As for waging a bet NO, I was just wanting folks to get there facts sorted. If we are going to speculate then why not Apple support 4g which is the next replacement slated for 3g.

I think Apple is now days taking a conservative approach to the market place. Prime example is past std they used for monitor connection. Also why have they not slotted either Blue Ray or HD DVD into a mac ?

Cheers Scott

azajohns
19th July 2007, 10:01 AM
Humble apologies but my last thread was closed, presumably because my questions were not very clear. Let me re-phrase...

I wasn't so much after speculation about what Apple will do with the iPhone, but rather interested in the current state of affairs with Australian networks. There's plenty of talk about overseas networks etc, but not much aus specific stuff. All I'm wondering is - assuming that a 3G iPhone MAY not be arriving any time soon...

A. Are our current networks able to offer speeds similar to that being used in the US with the current iPhone model?

B. Is WIFI really a viable option in Australia? (most hotspots that I've come across are a complete rip off and liimited to a few prime locations) Am I wrong here?

I ask just out of pure curiosity, much like the iTunes store, if it could be 4 years before the iPhone reaches our shores then that would be a good piece of information to have, particularly before I go and buy another phone.

And I realise a lot of this is speculation but hey, its not the Apple forums.
:D

mechcon
19th July 2007, 10:51 AM
Oh for f**k sakes...

Yes is the answer for question A. (but not 100% coverage of the entire nation, but it is growing).

Yes is the answer for question B. (same as above, but it is growing day by day).

Thank you and good night :P

azajohns
19th July 2007, 11:14 AM
It's a strange psychology in forums sometimes, people come to ask questions, then other people get annoyed that they're asking questions. Its a bit like a volunteer firefighter getting annoyed when people call them to put out a fire. :)

But thanks for your kind response.

macpunc
19th July 2007, 11:34 AM
Here is another interesting article about iPhone and 3G. (http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q3.07/4C34C283-82F8-4A35-AA20-3917204BF819.html)

cheers

macpunc

nard
19th July 2007, 11:39 AM
It's a strange psychology in forums sometimes, people come to ask questions, then other people get annoyed that they're asking questions. Its a bit like a volunteer firefighter getting annoyed when people call them to put out a fire. :)

But thanks for your kind response.

A superbly mature response. Well done. :thumbup:

nbetts
19th July 2007, 12:13 PM
The US and Australia are such totally different markets. Apple have looked after their home market first - which is just good simple buiness sense. They have created a GSM phone on one of the largest networks there.

3G in the US is not as prevallent as it is in Europe where its pretty much the norm. Apple said a 3G version of the phone is coming to suit the European market - 2nd in importance to Apple after their Home Market.

Will the iPhone be 3G: yes, but when is the big question at the moment. It will be 3G for Europe and the timeline apple gave is "early 2008" . thats as much as they have given in any official capacity at this stage.

Will the iPhone be 3G in Australia? most likely answer is yes. 3G, while not the majority or the norm here is certainly growing with the investment being put behind it by the telco's However When will it arrive in Oz is the big question. My feeling is we wont see it until mid 2008. Sadly for us Australia is not a big market, decent yes but not as big as sorting out Europe before we get out mits on it.

In the larger markets like the US and Europe free or low cost wifi hot spots are everywhere and growing. In Australia, a market largely under control by the government and 1 company, we dont have it. I dont see this changing anytime soon. I mean can you really see telstra giving stuff away for free? I also cant see an OS company coming in to set up a free/low cost wifi network in the immediate future simply because of our paltry 20million population spread out over such a large space. The infrastructure required would make it cost prohibitive.

If 3G is your priority your in for a wait.

If not the current iPhone is suited to Australia (and only when the brilliant nerds manage to unlock it). Based on what i know the "best" network the current format the iphone works on will probably be Telstra, but theoretically it could work on each of the GSM networks when unlocked.

* I am not a telco expert, i am just a consumer who has tried to do some homework.

W9cae
19th July 2007, 12:56 PM
I know there are a few of you who have bought 3g handsets. And want iPhone to be 3g. But I would not get your hopes up. 3g technology was a dissaster on the planning table. I know I was there and received a award for my contribution.

3g is the most prevelent in Korea & Japan, Europe does have a large 3g network but this is mainly in westen part of Europe. The vast majoraty of Europe is still GSM. And all 3g handsets revert down to a std GSM when 3g is not avail.

For Apple to bring a 3g handset out it will requier a totally new handset with not allot of the circuit design from the current model being of use to a 3g handset. Now making a totally new handset will take time & money & have its own set of problems.

Apple decided to support GSM because it is the most popular mobile phone std on the market place & also the most reliable. They added a new twist by adding WiFi for data. Data on a mobile phone on any system is expensive. And most users do not use these features because of this fact.

I do not expect Apple to release a diff handset for Europe & Asia. The current model GSM phone will work on all the networks. WiFi access is an issue, but any carrier wanting to sell iPhone will offer WiFi. Which is not a complicated to set up or of a great cost, thus why there is free WiFi of a low speed avail in most of the world.

Currawong
19th July 2007, 02:43 PM
Threads merged. I think we don't need 2 of them. ;)

Kuma
19th July 2007, 09:32 PM
Apple said a 3G version of the phone is coming to suit the European market

This where the last thread went...

can you please provide source for this information.

to the best of my knowledge (as pointed out by Steve's quotes above)

Apple said Europe end of this year - anytime after September (assuming agreements can be made etc) Asia next year...

As for 3G there is no indication of a 3G phone from Apple at this time.
Steve clearly said it is in the future, which is like saying that tomorrow the sun will rise!

There are only 2 nations that a marketing success is really 3G dependent and those are Japan and Sth Korea,
analysts are just assuming Europe will get the 3G model.

DJY
19th July 2007, 09:38 PM
Steve clearly said it is in the future, which is like saying that tomorrow the sun will rise!

Or it is like saying that the sun will rise (but not mention tomorrow).
No timeframe, no regions or countries mentioned.

Kuma
20th July 2007, 12:23 AM
Or it is like saying that the sun will rise (but not mention tomorrow).
No timeframe, no regions or countries mentioned.

ahh well I was referring more to the certainty of the event more than a time frame
but point taken.:D

Shere Khaan
20th July 2007, 08:22 AM
It's probable that a next gen iphone would be 3g and 3.5g given that AT&T are in the process of rolling out 3.5g. Given their current biggest market is switching to 3.5g any new version would surely include this technology since Apple signed up with AT&T for 5 years.

marc
20th July 2007, 10:04 AM
why have they not slotted either Blue Ray or HD DVD into a mac ?
Probably due to the DRM requirements for both.

And you know what? I'm happy not having either in my Mac. Not particularly useful, especially if my OS need to be crippled (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html) for the feature. No thanks!

asphotos
20th July 2007, 10:21 AM
2G (edge) in australia has a shelf life no longer than the early tweens.. (2012 ish)..

:)

383kbps 3g was release 99'

3G is a name, think 3.75G (3gpp release 5 and 6) which is really hsdpa/ hsupa and then hspa!..

all australian 3G operators have release 4 3g, which is 3.6mbps down and 384kbps up.

release 5 adds the faster uplink

release 6 is faster in both directiosn, in theroy upto 14.4mbps up and 10.8mbps down, but not so much in reality.

release 4 will get you around 3.3mpbs down today the 3.6 is at a transport layer, not the application layer.

we dont want an edge device, would you buy a new car without abs and airbags?

post hspa is a wimax roadmap!.

Kuma
20th July 2007, 12:57 PM
we dont want an edge device,

err many australians already have bought one
hoping that the phone will be unlocked...

and I would bet a lot of money that if a 2G phone was released before the end of 07 (and with no mention of a 3G phone in the near future) that it would be a success.

maybe not for tech heads like us... (I would be sorely tempted though) the masses would gobble this phone up in a heartbeat.. just like the Americans already have done. And listen to their tech heads... most of them have who have bought an iphone love it... the just hate edge... but they still bought it.

zillatron
20th July 2007, 01:45 PM
I know that edge is 'slow' compared to all the flavours of 3G...but what if --insert carrier here-- pulls the same magic as AT&T and makes edge 'better'?

The other thing is, it doesn't matter who carries it or how fast it is - just like Kuma said above, most people will lap it up regardless. Its us tech types that will pick it apart, point out flaws etc, but get one anyway :D

Z

asphotos
20th July 2007, 01:51 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution

i have a milo tin network faster than edge.. :)

edge is ok, for a mid 90's technology.. its very resource hungry!..

yes, a fancy new iphone will grab austalia as a funky phone, but we don't want half a device. version 1 is done, apple, give us version 2. otherwise we dont want it..

zillatron
20th July 2007, 02:04 PM
edge is ok, for a mid 90's technology.. its very resource hungry!..

Not as power hungry as 3G though according to Apple..

I really think we are not going to see a 3G iPhone until the 3G hardware is comparable to whatever they use now (in terms of power use, size, heat etc) - no matter how great the speed is...they compensate the 'always' fast 3G with 'sometimes' ultra fast wi-fi and 'mostly' faster than dial-up edge.
It's a fair trade off when you consider the battery life amongst other things... like available networks (globally, not just here or in the states).

version 1 is done, apple, give us version 2. otherwise we dont want it..
oh no! we DO want it! ignore him...really...! :D

Z

DJY
20th July 2007, 06:31 PM
It's probable that a next gen iphone would be 3g and 3.5g given that AT&T are in the process of rolling out 3.5g. Given their current biggest market is switching to 3.5g any new version would surely include this technology since Apple signed up with AT&T for 5 years.

They have an exclusive arrangement till 2012 don't they?
And aren't they also rolling out a 3.5G on the 850 spectrum like NextG?

If the second question is true - me are looking good for a possible 3G version of iPhone developed for the Yanks - that will work here!