PDA

View Full Version : getting home videos into iDVD

DebB
18th July 2007, 02:41 PM
Hi. I am having huge trouble getting my movies into iDVD. I have read the help files and cannot get the movies to drag from the media pane into the menu. I have tried dragging them from the movies folder (nothing happens), importing them (nothing happens), putting the clips into imovie and saving them as imovie projects, all to no avail. The movies are in .mpg format.

Any ideas about what I need to do please?

Deb

gameon
18th July 2007, 02:46 PM
what file format are the movies?

DebB
18th July 2007, 02:48 PM
They are in .mpg format

WonderBoy
18th July 2007, 03:32 PM
Can I ask what application you created these movies in? If it was iMovie, you would have been better off using iMovie's "share to iDVD" function.

If the movies were created in a different application, what would happen if you tried importing them into an iMovie project and then share to iDVD from there?

I believe .mpg files can use different codecs which might mean that while one .mpg could import with no issue, another might not.

Granny Smith
18th July 2007, 03:51 PM
Hi. I am having huge trouble getting my movies into iDVD. I have read the help files and cannot get the movies to drag from the media pane into the menu. I have tried dragging them from the movies folder (nothing happens), importing them (nothing happens), putting the clips into imovie and saving them as imovie projects, all to no avail. The movies are in .mpg format.

Any ideas about what I need to do please?

Deb

The files you need to drag into you iDVD project appear in the Media pane with an iMovie logo in the corner of them. Make sure it's those files you're trying to drag into your iDVD project.

DebB
18th July 2007, 05:27 PM
Some of them are straight off the digital camera (still), others are old movies I converted using a dvico device on my pc.

WonderBoy
19th July 2007, 12:53 PM
Some of them are straight off the digital camera (still), others are old movies I converted using a dvico device on my pc.

Yeah I'd say they are not the correct format (or rather not using the correct codec). I would recommend using QuickTime Pro (you need to buy this online) or ever better, buy Toast Titanium at your local Apple reseller. Toast converts all types of video files and even has a DVD burning feature similar to (although not as pretty as) iDVD.