PDA

View Full Version : No 3G iPhone?...

azajohns
18th July 2007, 12:28 PM
just read this article...

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/07/17/iphone-3g-size-and-battery-life-analysis/

And it got me wondering. Is the iPhone going to be any use at all in Australia? If there is in fact no 3G iphone coming any time soon, are our current network speeds capable of seeing the current iPhone reach its full potential? Are plans going to be so expensive that nobody but big corporate users will be able to use them? Will connections be so slow that things like web surfing, you tube, even mail will be pointless features? Is WiFi going to be any use at all to anyone but the lucky few who might wander into a hotspot and be happy to pay big bucks for the luxury? Are there comparable products and plans out there already by which we can gauge iPhone's likely placement?
Worst case scenario, could Apple just decide that this backwater burg is just too behind-the-times and too much effort to even bother with?
There seems to be a lot of rumours and speculation about Australian iPhone prospects, but are there any hard facts at this stage, at least on the network side of things?

Just curious. :)

Kuma
18th July 2007, 12:34 PM
but are there any hard facts at this stage, at least on the network side of things?

No

apparently there is a 5 character limit.. so I have to type more.

OziMac
18th July 2007, 12:37 PM
No hard facts doesn't mean never, or even not soon.

It took 2 years to get iTunes AU (don't we all remember that long wait) but now that it's here, I don't think our wait for other products is going to be as long necessarily.

So 3G uses more battery life - it's not like Apple has been sitting still on improving battery life since the inception of the iPod. Colour/photos/video were all foregone in earlier iterations of the iPod in order to preserve battery life, then rolled out incrementally as batteries improved. The same I would imagine goes for a future 3G iPhone.

Apple claimed that Q4 2007 would see a European iPhone launch, and it does seem pretty close to happening now. And trust me, if the US roll out is anything to go by, the demand is there and
Apple certainly has the cash reserves to meet it.

Realistically, I'm thinking we won't officially get it until late next year, and it will be a hard ball game with whichever provider they partner with. But it will come. :)

iSlayer
18th July 2007, 12:49 PM
apple have already said there will be a 3g version for asian markets so i wouldnt worry.

Kuma
18th July 2007, 12:57 PM
apple have already said there will be a 3g version for asian markets so i wouldnt worry.

source?

they have said 3G
and they have said asia

both of which are given...

I don't believe the 2 have been put together
I could of course be wrong.

if of course you believe the battery life issues where the reason why 3G was not released in America then we could be a while from 3G anywhere else

if on the other hand you believe that was only a line to pacify the American consumer
then we could see 3G handsets very shortly.

iSlayer
18th July 2007, 01:04 PM
source?

Not sure. I could be wrong but i swear someone did say it. Either way its a given anyway for asian markets.

OziMac
18th July 2007, 01:08 PM
source?

Steve Jobs, MacWorld 2007.

You don't have to be a genius to put together the facts that when a 3G iPhone appears, it will replace the incumbent model - and that we likely won't be getting an iPhone until well after the

Now Steve can't always keep his promises or ship dates, but I think you'd have to be pretty
obstinate not to accept that there will be a 3G iPhone in Australia sometime in the next couple of years.

Razer
18th July 2007, 01:58 PM
I think the assumption people are working on is that 3G are the networks of choice in Europe and Asia. It would be a stupid move to go into those markets with a phone that isn't 3G. The Australia market doesn't really matter but it's pretty safe to assume we'll get the 3G model designed for the European/Asian Market. No one has any idea regarding a time frame on this though.

W9cae
18th July 2007, 02:37 PM
Damm this board has really got some missinformed 3g folks. 3g is only really big in Japan & Korea. Europe is mostly GSM. If your in any of the main cites in Australia you got 3g coverage. But go out of them 3g coverage is minimal & GSM is avail. Go as far as Romsey out of Melbourne & there is no 3g. So who wants a phone that will not work 60k's out most metropolitan areas.

Telephone companies have bought into technology like PCS, CDMA, 3g, etc then marketed them to make money.

CDMA & PCS has flopped so now they are moving those networks to 3g. And telling you the missinfomed customer how great they are & selling you new phones.

As far as iPhone being 3g Apple & Steve Job's has already stated they will not be making a 3g model. And are backing GSM with WiFi to be the winning phone technology.

Myself having worked for many years in the USA for AT&T / Lucent & Siemens designing phone systems. 3g will not be around for very long.

OziMac
18th July 2007, 02:44 PM
Damm this board has really got some missinformed 3g folks.

<snip>

As far as iPhone being 3g Apple & Steve Job's has already stated they will not be making a 3g model. And are backing GSM with WiFi to be the winning phone technology.

I'm sorry, but you're actually a little misinformed yourself. Have you actually watched the MacWorld keynote from this year? If not, please do and you'll see that Steve Jobs does say that a 3G iPhone is in the pipeline.

No doubt I'm with you, I'd much rather have WiMax than 3G, but surely you'd have to agree that until the time that there actually is a full roll out of another standard, 3G is here to stay for the moment. Apple would be off their rocker not to be looking at a 3G phone, and there's one thing that Apple no longer is - off their rocker. ;)

marc
18th July 2007, 02:57 PM
OziMac's right, SJ announced that EU and Asia would have a 3G iPhone as he announced the iPhone itself.

I'm not even sure why this thread exists.

W9cae
18th July 2007, 03:03 PM
I did see the keynote live OziMac but if you see the later interviews with Steve Job's he states 3g will not be supported & GSM with WiFi is the std they are backing to be the winning phone technology.

I feel this is a very wise move on Apples part. If Japan & Korea want to be 3g let them, they have always been on funky mobile phone technology to the rest of the world.

Just this week more areas in Europe & UK have free WiFi networks. The USA has been slow in rolling out WiFi & Australia even slower.

Telstra & Optus do not want free WiFi networks. They prefer the model of charge the customer big $ for service. Once Google in the US turn on there WiFi network you will see one hell of a technology shift. And 3g will take its place alogside of CDMA, TDMA & PCS as dead technology.

marc
18th July 2007, 03:06 PM
I did see the keynote live OziMac but if you see the later interviews with Steve Job's he states 3g will not be supported & GSM with WiFi is the std they are backing to be the winning phone technology.
I'm sure he said that regarding the current iPhone.

It doesn't override what he said at the keynote (there would be no reason to bring up future plans for the iPhone, given that it had already been mentioned in public).

I feel this is a very wise move on Apples part. If Japan & Korea want to be 3g let them, they have always been on funky mobile phone technology to the rest of the world.
Not really. Apple need 3G for EU and Asia, as it's the dominant tech for fast(ish) data on mobile devices.

W9cae
18th July 2007, 03:14 PM
If Apple now release a 3g phone with all the fan fare over the current model in the USA. They will destroy all the customer base in the USA who have purchased iPhone. Some of you don't realise 3g does exist in the USA up & down both the east & west coasts in all the places where telephone companies installed CDMA & PCS.

FYI PCS is the 850 network which so many have talked about the new 850 3g phones.

Japan & Korea are actually small markets for Apple. The USA, Europe & Australia are more important to Apple. GSM is the most popular phone system in Australia. We are the country with the highest mobile phone saturation. I bet in the scope 3g only represents 5% of the Australian phone users.

silverdreamer
18th July 2007, 03:14 PM
Just one more pointless iphone thread.:rolleyes:

There are other things in life!

Whats your favourite Tim Tam Biscuit? :)

uncyherb
18th July 2007, 03:24 PM
Just one more pointless iphone thread.:rolleyes:

There are other things in life!

Whats your favourite Tim Tam Biscuit? :)

The one's made by Dick Smith which keep the $$$ within Australia.

silverdreamer
18th July 2007, 03:40 PM
The one's made by Dick Smith which keep the $$$ within Australia.

Yeah! but have you ever seen a Chinaman walking into the airport with a shopping trolley full of them? I live on the Gold Coast and I have to wonder why they have such a Fetish for them, I have seen groups of Asians walk out of shops here with the entire stock off the shelves!:eek:

mechcon
18th July 2007, 03:53 PM
In before the lock...

W9cae
18th July 2007, 03:54 PM
When I lived in Chicago, our most famous depertment store Marshal Fields had a gourmet food section. The stocked TimTams cost was $10 US and they constantly were selling out.