PDA

View Full Version : Network Problems - update OS X 10.4.10

catbert6
18th July 2007, 01:13 PM
Since upgrading to OS 10.4.10, I seem to be experiencing frequent network dropouts on my MBP C2D. It reconnects automatically, so I only notice if I am in the middle of something like WOW, in which case I get disconnected from the server. I have the network configured to show the time up in the menu bar, and it resets to 0:0:0. This is occuring every 20 - 30 minutes.

It seems that others are also having this problem. although it is not widespread and seems to be limited to macbook / macbook pro users:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303448

Anyone here experienced similar problems?

Is it possible to roll back to 10.4.9, or do I need to do a complete reinstall?

nortonjg
18th July 2007, 02:07 PM
i sometimes have problems with my iMac dropping out connection and my powerbook

purana
18th July 2007, 02:13 PM
Anyone here experienced similar problems?

Nope, not on 3 machines. Mac Mini 1.66 Duo, iMac 2.16 C2D and Black Macbook 2.16 C2D. All 3 machines have 10.4.10 and I don't experience any sort of network issues that have been suggested by various people since it came out.

Can I do anything to test it for certain? or assist you to determine what might cause it?

Currawong
18th July 2007, 07:39 PM
When I recently downloaded the Mac OS X 10.4.10 combined update (combo update) it was listed as v1.1, suggesting that something or other was fixed in it. It's always worth a try installing the combo update (as opposed to the point update), as over the years it has fixed issues for numerous people.

catbert6
19th July 2007, 08:57 AM
I have installed the latest version of the update (1.1) and turned off all other computers using the wireless network. The longest it has stayed up is around two hours - usually it seems to reset every 30 minutes or so.

I have a ASDL modem with an Airport Extreme base station attached. I have a Powermac G4 on the ethernet port of the airport and a G5 iMac and MacBook Pro operating wirelessly. Up until the most recent round of updates, it was rock solid. Nothing has changed apart from the installing the updates

Any ideas on diagnostic approaches would be welcomed.

purana
19th July 2007, 09:31 AM
Any ideas on diagnostic approaches would be welcomed.

Is it your ethernet device that appears to loose connection? ie. your connected via ethernet?

Granny Smith
19th July 2007, 10:29 AM
Does it have something to do with DHCP leases expiring? (Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?!?)

catbert6
19th July 2007, 11:06 AM
Is it your ethernet device that appears to loose connection? ie. your connected via ethernet?

No, its connected wirelessly to the Airport Base Station

It looks like the Airport base station is actually resetting. My recollection is that when you log on to a network, if you have configured it so, the time shown in the menu bar is the up time for the network - that is, I seem to recall connecting to the network and having it show the number of days / hours / minutes the network has been up. Now when I get thrown off the network and reconnect, the counter has been set back to zero. It is as though the network has reset.

I am going to try and update all the airport software, in case an incompatibility has crept in - I know I don't have the most recent airport software, as when I tried to run the most recent airport update it would not run because the airport utility is too old a version. I have found a workaround for that.