PDA

View Full Version : iphone vs sidekick

aaron254
17th July 2007, 07:58 PM
does anyone think they may release the t3 sidekick when the iphone reaches Australia.

soadaholic
17th July 2007, 08:00 PM
The sidekick looks really dodgy if you ask me.. I mean come on... how are you going to use a track ball on a phone!?

aaron254
17th July 2007, 08:01 PM
The sidekick looks really dodgy if you ask me.. I mean come on... how are you going to use a track ball on a phone!?

i think it looks pretty good the iphone is good but i think that the t3 will give it a run.

kingkangkong
17th July 2007, 08:50 PM
but the iPhone is art!!

Johnny Appleseed
17th July 2007, 09:38 PM
The iPhone is a paradigm shift and a whole new device category. The others are just ... phones!

Shatter
17th July 2007, 09:40 PM
The sidekick is cool, especially the D-Wade edition, but it doesn't compare to the iPhone. Well, it does but...

soadaholic
17th July 2007, 09:51 PM
The sidekick is cool, especially the D-Wade edition, but it doesn't compare to the iPhone. Well, it does but...

but... it's not Apple :D

skip
17th July 2007, 09:56 PM
Sorry to cut into the iPhone loving, but it lacks so many basic features...

I'd always take it over the Sidekick, but Apple fans really need to stop apologising for the basics it's missing. Apple *should* act swiftly to rectify its 'issues', but I have no allusions that it will take ages to do so.

marc
17th July 2007, 10:25 PM
What are the issues Skip?

The only thing three I can think of that I care about are:
- 3G... which has been announced and will be available for EU and asian markets
- Being able to use your own ringtones... I imagine iTunes will do this soon (they can be hacked on already anyway)
- Proper 3rd party apps... give them time!

Stuff I don't care about:
- MMS... who cares!

Exocet
17th July 2007, 10:29 PM
Sidekick T3? Hrm, dunno what that is (unless its the Motorola Zante). However I'm typing this response on a Sidekick3. The Sidekick's been in Australia for nearly a year now - www.telstra.com/hiptop - just under the official names.

adam89
18th July 2007, 12:00 AM
iPhone gets two thumbs down from me, especially next to a hiptop3.

adam89
18th July 2007, 12:02 AM

It's worked for RIM :)

skip
18th July 2007, 12:09 AM
What are the issues Skip?
To quote my favourite review...

I'm talking about MMS. Video recording. Custom ringtones. Mass storage. Fully functioning Bluetooth with stereo audio streaming. Voice dialing when you're using a car kit. Sending contact info to other people. Instant friggin' messenging. Sending an SMS to more than one recipient at a time.I don't care about MMS, email will replace this. I know 3G is coming, in fact I think it's a lame argument against the iPhone as Apple has all but announced it's on the way.

But many things that my t610 could do years ago, and almost everything my k800 can do well is covered above. What the iPhone can do, it seems to do very, very well. But the lack of simple things that I can do eg. sending SMS messages to multiple recipients, or loading up custom ringtones, or using a BT headset to listen to music, or voice dialing strikes me as silly. I've even heard that you can't click on a phone number in an SMS to save it or use for a call!

The hardware can easily cope, but the software has been deliberately crippled (in some cases) or simple features unintentionally glossed over to prevent the most basic of tasks that cheap phones can do. Cutting off the nose to spite the face and all that just to be different it seems to me. I can't think of any other reason that some of these basics are missing.

That being said, I'm tempted to buy one already, that's how much I like its promise. I just can't believe how many obvious things have been missed (more of which come to light the longer it's been out). And I'm no 'power phone user', hence my choice of non-smartphones in the past.

Exocet
18th July 2007, 12:30 AM
It's worked for RIM :)

Actually it worked for Danger on the Hiptop/Sidekick3 long before the Pearl debuted ;)