PDA

View Full Version : Ebay And Super Cheap Apple Hardware

decryption
12th January 2004, 07:20 PM
Over on the Apple section of eBay (http://listings.ebay.com.au/aw/plistings/list/category4599/index.html?from=R4), there is a rash of really cheap relativley new, latest model Apple gear.
For example, 17", 1.44GHz PowerBook with a buy it now price of $2,200, 15" AlBook, $1,750 and others.

Now, obviously, this is fucking cheap, and I'm thinking... how trustworthy is it buying stuff from those kind of things?
They are eBay featured sales, and the sellers have great feedback.
Is it worth trying to buy a machine off them?
The savings are phenominal, almost 75% less than RRP.
I for one am very interested (being cash strapped, and *heaps* interested in a new machine), but I also don't want to lose $2,000 :P

Anyone have any experience or just comments to add on this situation?

Shawry
12th January 2004, 08:28 PM
That is damn cheap! If only i had a bit more money i would get one in a flash!...just hope its not a scam.

decryption
12th January 2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Shawry@Jan 12 2004, 09:28 PM
That is damn cheap! If only i had a bit more money i would get one in a flash!...just hope its not a scam.
Yeah, my girlfriend said she'd lend me some money to get it.. and I can pay her back pretty easily.. I just don't want it to be a scam and drag her into it...

cmetom
12th January 2004, 09:43 PM
as you said, the feedback is good.

i would be willing to trust that seller (nyrangersfan). i'm sure that he'd do an escrow service if you asked... i'm not sure how much they cost though.

although i personally don't bid on ebay things that are that expensive - not at this point in my life anyway (as i don't have that kind of money all-in-one go).

it says shipping is fedex, so that's good.

edit: reading his negative feedback, and the responses he's left for it, make sure your email works!!!

edit2: ALTHOUGH... his other sales seem to be cheaper stuff, around the US50$ mark and cheaper... and he's in the states... hmm i'm not as sure as i was 2 mintues ago :unsure: :blink:

decryption
12th January 2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by cmetom@Jan 12 2004, 10:43 PM
as you said, the feedback is good.

i would be willing to trust that seller (nyrangersfan). i'm sure that he'd do an escrow service if you asked... i'm not sure how much they cost though.

although i personally don't bid on ebay things that are that expensive - not at this point in my life anyway (as i don't have that kind of money all-in-one go).

it says shipping is fedex, so that's good.

the way i decide if i will trust someone on ebay is to look at their feedback, and if they have lots of positive and a few negatives, i will look at the negs and see if they've been resolved or whatever. nyrangersfan seems to be on his way to being a powerseller, and has had heaps of good sales as well as explanations for negatives.

i'd say if u've got the cash and it's what u want, go for it!!
edit: reading his negative feedback, and the responses he's left for it, make sure your email works!!!
Thanks for remind me about the escrow service!!!
My girlfriend wouldn't get as tense about giving me $1,800 that way...
I love you cmetom :P

*gets ready to buy it*

Radar
12th January 2004, 10:04 PM
Be careful, as they say "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Make sure you get all their details, all their phone numbers, everything, and most importantly confirm these by ringing them up or checking. That way if something goes sour, you can bring in the authorities and they can nab the bastard.

Good luck.

cmetom
13th January 2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Jan 12 2004, 10:49 PM
Thanks for remind me about the escrow service!!!
My girlfriend wouldn't get as tense about giving me $1,800 that way...
I love you cmetom :P

*gets ready to buy it*
hmm well i'm wondering now, so make sure u do escrow or whatever u can in order to make it safe for you.

yah, dude. i love u too. :lol:

Comet
13th January 2004, 02:42 AM
I just received an email from one of the guys

Hi,

The powerbook is sold. If you are still interested I have another Apple PowerBook G4, 17" new and sealed too with all the accessories listed for only $1,500 US. It also comes with a certificate for one year warranty. I can make another auction for you on eBay with the same product (with accessories too). I'll email you the link and you'll bid and win this new auction.

I purchased these powerbooks one week ago at an auction organized by the custom from Romania, Europe. I came here in Romania about 10 months ago to start a business in the field of advertising. These powerbooks were confiscated from some people who tried to introduce them in the country without paying the taxes, that's why I'm selling, but don't worry it's perfectly legal and I have all the papers.

For the payment I prefer money order (Western Union) because is very fast. I have paypal account in US but using paypal I have to wait more than a week for the money to be transferred from US to Romania through several banks. Same thing with escrow (I'll have to wait too long for the cash).

Iíll ship the package by UPS Air Service and you will receive it in 2 days. I will pay for shipping and insurance to your location.

If you're interested please reply ASAP.

Regards

PS: I sent you an attachment with the SN you asked for.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 02:23:25 PST, icekey@netspace.net.au said:
> Hi. Can I please ask what the serial number is for this powerbook?
> Also, where will this product be shipped from if purchased
> --------------------
>
>
> Question from: icekey21
> Title of item: NEW Apple PowerBook G4,17"
> Seller: rogervestal@yahoo.com
> Starts: 12-Jan-04 12:47:32 AEDST
> Ends: 19-Jan-04 12:47:32 AEDST
> Price: Starts at AU $2,000.00
> To view the item, go to:
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...item=2780122474 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2780122474)
>
>
>
> Visit eBay, The World's Online Marketplace TM at
> http://www.ebay.com.au

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
love email again

The photo was taken on the 06/7/2003 so no way could he have taken it a week ago

cmetom
13th January 2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Comet@Jan 13 2004, 03:42 AM
I just received an email from one of the guys

The photo was taken on the 06/7/2003 so no way could he have taken it a week ago
hmm well sounds too dodgy. once again "too good to be true" shines accurate.
sorry dude. <_<

it&#39;s more money, but a new one straight from apple is of course your safest bet.

Radar
13th January 2004, 08:35 AM
I&#39;m calling SCAM on that, do not go for it. Google for Romanian eBay scams for more info. I know of people that have purchesed items such as cameras from very similar people and nothing has ever eventuated once they paid. It is a SCAM for sure.

decryption
13th January 2004, 09:37 AM
Yeah, my PowerBook pipe dream was a Romanian scammer.
Fitted the description of such a scammer on http://www.flipshark.com/scams/rcscam.html
When I asked if he would use escrow, he declined with this:

Dear sir,

Using an escrow takes just too long for me to collect
my money, which at this excelent price is not acceptable.
My bussines is rather small and i just cannot accept having my money/merchandise stuck to third parties. I have to move fast to actually "survive" in this bussines.

Regards&#33;&#33;

So yeah.. sucks..

cmetom
13th January 2004, 11:59 PM
hmm i feel bad &#39;cause i was believing the scam at first too... lucky i mentioned escrow, i guess&#33;

glad we&#39;ve survived the experience&#33;

Comet
13th January 2004, 11:59 PM
It does suck how these people scam people&#33;

Anyways, I think I&#39;m going to go ahead with my plan on getting a powerbook from the US now

decryption
14th January 2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Comet@Jan 14 2004, 12:59 AM
Anyways, I think I&#39;m going to go ahead with my plan on getting a powerbook from the US now
Can you elaborate further? I&#39;m interested :D

Comet
14th January 2004, 08:54 PM
I&#39;ve decided to get my brother who is in NY to buy a powerbook from SOHO using his educational discount and ship it over here. I&#39;ll be saving nearly 900 if they don&#39;t tax me, and around 400 if they do

decryption
14th January 2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Comet@Jan 14 2004, 09:54 PM
I&#39;ve decided to get my brother who is in NY to buy a powerbook from SOHO using his educational discount and ship it over here. I&#39;ll be saving nearly 900 if they don&#39;t tax me, and around 400 if they do
You have a PM ;)

stevejay
20th January 2004, 05:44 AM
Sounds like the sell an item to Oz&#39;s at US dollar prices only not say it&#39;s us dollars scam. Come transaction time the Oz buyer gets a nasty shock when the fed ex parcel arrives (or a pile of abuse when they try to pay in AU&#036;)

Wayne Connor
20th January 2004, 06:39 AM
Same again today - 3 more powerbooks.
Here&#39;s the reply I recieved from the seller, bayern72@cosmo.com

Hello,

HI there and thanks for your interest.
The Apple is new in box, has 1 year international warranty wich can be
extended to 3 years for the amount of &#036;75.00 The listing was restricted to
bidding due the high amount of non-paying bidders wich eBay fights against.
Currently, I&#39;m in Bari,Italy and I have the unit with me, ready to be
shipped.
The package will be delivered with UPS 2 days air insured, or if you
prefere other career such as FedEx or DHL, let me know. I usually use UPS
and I never had a problem or long delay.
For the reason that you will pay the money transfer fees, I will cover all
shipping

etc...

moth
20th January 2004, 11:58 AM
HOT BARGAIN - A Dual 2GHz Powermac G5 with 23" HD Cinema Display with a buy it now price of &#036;1,670......um yeah SURE. That price wouldn&#39;t even cover the purchase of the display.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...5&category=4607 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2781918035&category=4607)

decryption
20th January 2004, 12:14 PM
There&#39;s just so much *shit* on eBay. People never make proper, clean ads or put up crappy stock photos or small resolution photos that show nothing.
Sometimes there are good auctions, but even then, idiots ramp up the price and it&#39;s not worth it.

Asher Tuzza
21st January 2004, 12:42 AM
dont forget to report these DODGIE eBay items to eBay - they can remove them and protect the australian public - which IS IMPROTANT...

cheers

kaisersozay
23rd January 2004, 01:41 PM
The scams from Romania, Ukraine, Russia, Poland and all the Baltics have been running for a few years. They NEVER accept an Escrow offer. I have emailed quite a few of these guys with similar results as earlier described. Often they will auction in AUD&#036; for a product ex USA. How dumb is that? When SOLD.com was active I approached them with plenty of details after watching people actually bid for these items. Large sums but cheaper than retail. e.g. AUD&#036;10k digital Canon for AUD&#036;2k. Tempting but too good to be true. Again Escrow stops them cold.
On the other hand I have purchased some quite expensive equipment ex eBay US with great results. Qualify your seller and you should have no problems.
It is apparent that this group is cautious and aware, anyway. Lots of good advice.
Do not forget that any item over AUD&#036;400 attracts GST as a replacement to the Import Duty.
One bidder who obviously knew the scam would bid &#036;10k as his opening bid with no intention of completing, but stopping other bidders. SOLD was so slack they never stopped the Sellers or the outrageous bidder.

trotkiller
24th January 2004, 09:45 AM
A few cheap dual 2GHz G5s today on ebay

here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2782697551&category=4607)
here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2782697797&category=4607)
here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2782698093&category=4607)
and here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2782698391&category=4607)

I have emailed the seller asking if i can use an escrow... <_<

I just wish i could get one of these babies legit for A&#036;2000 :(

EazyduzIt
24th January 2004, 11:01 AM
It&#39;s possible that some ebay vendors have been a victim of an identity hijack, which would explain some of the previous good feedback.

This auction (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4607&item=2782698391) (mafisersanguina) is very suspicious. An Apple Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz plus 23" Display for &#036;2300? No way. I went into an Apple shop a couple of days ago and the list price for just the display was well over &#036;3000.

I bet if you asked to see the goods before hand, they&#39;d give some lame excuse.

kaisersozay
24th January 2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by trotkiller@Jan 24 2004, 09:45 AM
A few cheap dual 2GHz G5s today on ebay

here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2782697551&category=4607)
here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2782697797&category=4607)
here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2782698093&category=4607)
and here (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2782698391&category=4607)

I have emailed the seller asking if i can use an escrow... <_<

I just wish i could get one of these babies legit for A&#036;2000 :(
Now this is a really interesting auction. Two of the seller&#39;s items <all G5&#39;s and apparently identical> are AUD&#036;1900 and the other two are AUD&#036;2300. Go figure.
I notice the seller is located on the Gold Coast, so an easy go look and physical exchange if the deal is legit. Assuming you are a Queenslander. If not maybe another Qld Groupie would act as your helper for a small fee.
If you are interstate freight is a huge problem. Aust Post will not insure or handle packages of more than a specific weight. Couriers are risky and very expensive. Personal pick up and payment is best for this type of transaction.
I will be interested to see how yoiu get on and what exactly he means by <pre approved bidders>. This is a *Buy Now* auction. Has an odd odour.
Hope someone posts any developments.

kaisersozay
24th January 2004, 12:17 PM
Just a bit more on those G5s. I took a few minutes to compare the AUD&#036;2300 offered and its options to the US AppleStore and these are the results:
Unit G5: &#036;2999
8gb Ram &#036;4950
23" display &#036;1999
Total US&#036;9948 not including burner etc. Convert to AUD&#036;12876.70 at today&#39;s rate.
Wow&#33;&#33;
Gotta be a gyp. Hope I am wrong but <Huge Liquidation> with 4 units? Doubtful and when in doubt... don&#39;t.

cmetom
24th January 2004, 12:51 PM
let me know as soon as they say "no escrow" and u are sure they&#39;re dodgy.

i feel the need to set up an ebay account to "bid" on those items... wink wink

trotkiller
24th January 2004, 02:41 PM
no reply to my email, but it looks like ebay have pulled the items :P

cmetom
25th January 2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by trotkiller@Jan 24 2004, 03:41 PM
no reply to my email, but it looks like ebay have pulled the items :P
oh good&#33;

LCGuy
1st February 2004, 12:29 AM
Sounds like a scam to me. Personally, i would never spend over &#036;200 on an ebay auction. eBay&#39;s still a great place to get stuff for vintage Macs though, provided everything goes right. :D

jameso
1st February 2004, 11:24 AM
A friend of mine lost a few grand on ebay buying a TiBook a few years back.

Sux to be him

jameso

kaisersozay
1st February 2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by jameso@Feb 1 2004, 11:24 AM
A friend of mine lost a few grand on ebay buying a TiBook a few years back.

Sux to be him

jameso
I hope that is a sympathetic remark. We all make mistakes.
Escrow is the only way to beat the scammers and give the buyer an opportunity to satisfy a need.
Boookmark Tradesecure. It works. Stops the scammers and guarantees the buyer in an honest trade that the goods arrive in good shape and are what they purport to be. Very cost effective as well. Even for low value items. AUD&#036;4.35 for buys under AUD&#036;100.
http://www.tradesecure.com.au

decryption
1st February 2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by kaisersozay@Feb 1 2004, 03:29 PM
I hope that is a sympathetic remark. We all make mistakes.
Escrow is the only way to beat the scammers and give the buyer an opportunity to satisfy a need.
Boookmark Tradesecure. It works. Stops the scammers and guarantees the buyer in an honest trade that the goods arrive in good shape and are what they purport to be. Very cost effective as well. Even for low value items. AUD&#036;4.35 for buys under AUD&#036;100.
http://www.tradesecure.com.au
I agree with that. Anything expensive = use escrow.
If the seller disagrees to it, you know it&#39;s a scam. When I was looking for a Mac a few weeks ago, I e-mailed about 15 or so of those cheap PowerBook/PowerMac sellers and all declined an escrow, surprise surprise :P

mbd
1st February 2004, 03:48 PM
The thing that annoys me about the ebay scammers is that it makes it a lot harder for the honest sellers to get bids. A friend of mine put his powerbook on ebay nearing on a year ago now. The 1st time he put it up for auction, ebay cancelled the auction on him, because someone he didn&#39;t know claimed it was a fraud. Once that was sorted out, he got lots of sceptical emails, and even had some emails from the winning bidder saying that he&#39;d received emails from people telling him the auction was a fraud...

It&#39;s a pity that there is scum out there that wrecks it for the honest folk.

cmetom
1st February 2004, 04:38 PM
easy way to tell: ask them to do escrow. if they agree, they&#39;ll require it to be with a company they choose&#33; *sneeze*dodgy*cough*

a normal honest seller isn&#39;t gonna sound like the scammers. the people that can&#39;t tell the difference during acual communications with the seller aren&#39;t worthy of owning a PowerBook&#33;&#33;

i emailed one the other day... i&#39;ll dig the email out soon and post it. it was a scam.

decryption
1st February 2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by cmetom@Feb 1 2004, 05:38 PM
a normal honest seller isn&#39;t gonna sound like the scammers. the people that can&#39;t tell the difference during acual communications with the seller aren&#39;t worthy of owning a PowerBook&#33;&#33;
That&#39;s true cmetom, the scams are so obvious, I don&#39;t know how people can be sucked in and actually hand over that much money to a person who can&#39;t even get the picture of the item right.
If people stopped buying the scam items, the scammers *might* get the idea and stop puting them up...

Shawry
1st February 2004, 08:59 PM
What exactly is escrow? Is it a payment system like paypal or what?

decryption
2nd February 2004, 06:39 AM
Escrow is sort of like a middle-man for deals.
The seller sends the item to the escrow company, and you send your money to the escrow company. The escrow then sends it to you, and you inspect it for 2-3 days to make sure it&#39;s what you ordered, then you tell the escrow to give the seller their money and the deal is done.
So the seller doesn&#39;t get your money unless you get the item and are satisfied with it.

pipsqeek
5th February 2004, 07:35 AM
Best bet? AppleCentre

Steve

stevejay
5th February 2004, 11:53 AM
Escrow is a Septic Tank word for what we in Australia call "Conveyancing." Not sure of the origins of the US term, but the english one goes way back and literally refers to conveying goods from one to the other via a third party. Mostly used in real estate (where the third party is a solicitor or a "conveyencing clerk") these days (oh, and eBay :) )

Currawong
8th February 2004, 03:48 PM
I busted two Romanian scammers...contacted them asking if i could pick up in person then reported them to ebay, who removed them a day later.

When you check the feedback, check if the previous auctions were for computer gear. One bloke who i contacted had his account hijacked the day before, but the hijacker hadn&#39;t changed his email address, so he replied to tell me it was dodgy.

Basically, contact the seller, if they say something I&#39;m in Romania/Italy/some other country, assume it&#39;s dodgy and don&#39;t do it.

The only legit 17" Powerbook seller I know is wizardmachine - I&#39;ve met him in person after he bought some keyboards from me. You&#39;ll know his auctions, they have "NO CREDIT CARDS FROM INDONESIA" on them.

Silent
9th February 2004, 04:10 PM
Not in reference to computer gear but i bought my camera last year on ebay. Godo camera EOS 30 35mm. Anyway retail they go for about 1100 AUS and i got it for 800. I just did some email stuff with the guy. The first thing for me though was the real picture. Something off a site as pretty as it is dont help me much. Anyway i got it two days later, no fuss no muss. Was great.
And the only thing that was wrong with it is what he said, al little scratch on teh body. So they aint all scum bags. Just a lof of them :). Guess you just gotta watch yourself.

Radar
9th February 2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Feb 5 2004, 08:35 AM
Best bet? AppleCentre

Steve
I couldn&#39;t agree more. Every single Mac I have owned has been purchesed directly from an AppleCenter, and I have never had a single problem. Just today for example I purchesed a G3 350 PowerMac (B&W), with 20GB HDD, 512MB RAM etc. for a total cost including courier to my door of &#036;350 (God Damm Bargain, I know, So happy). They emailed me photo&#39;s, arranged the courier, and answered all my questions regarding the machine within minutes. Sure, you may be able to get a better bargain when buying off people, but you just can&#39;t beat an AppleCenter for reliability and trustworthyness.

decryption
9th February 2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Radar@Feb 9 2004, 05:25 PM
Just today for example I purchesed a G3 350 PowerMac (B&W), with 20GB HDD, 512MB RAM etc. for a total cost including courier to my door of &#036;350
You lucky son of a bitch, that is a bargain&#33; I&#39;m jealous :P
You&#39;d be up for &#036;500 for one of those with just 128mb RAM and a 6gb HDD...
Though, my 1.6GHz G5 for &#036;2,000 was a pretty good bargain too ;)

Radar
9th February 2004, 05:11 PM
Sure, the B&W&#39;s I&#39;ve bought are great bargains, but I sure wish I could keep one. Me and the systems teacher at school decided that the crappy P-133&#39;s in the tech area were just shit for what we needed, so we dipped into the Tech budget, and I got to buy some shit hot PowerMac&#39;s for the school. So far we have bought 2 300&#39;s, and the 350, for a little over &#036;900. A nice easy way to grab a heap of nice machines for school.

Byrd
10th February 2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Radar@Feb 9 2004, 04:25 PM
I couldn&#39;t agree more. Every single Mac I have owned has been purchesed directly from an AppleCenter, and I have never had a single problem. Just today for example I purchesed a G3 350 PowerMac (B&W), with 20GB HDD, 512MB RAM etc. for a total cost including courier to my door of &#036;350 (God Damm Bargain, I know, So happy). They emailed me photo&#39;s, arranged the courier, and answered all my questions regarding the machine within minutes. Sure, you may be able to get a better bargain when buying off people, but you just can&#39;t beat an AppleCenter for reliability and trustworthyness.
Radar, which Applecentre did you get the B&W G3 from? I have a friend that is looking for a comparable machine.

JB

Craigglez
12th February 2004, 09:20 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...3&category=4607 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2787112443&category=4607)

23" + Dual G5 with a buy it now of &#036;2,500... but this one has an escrow service&#33; I do find it interesting that the people who are selling these usually sell other items, in this case DVDs, Videos & Clothing.... its a bit sus... almost like somebody has hacked their account.

kaisersozay
13th February 2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Craigglez@Feb 12 2004, 09:20 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...3&category=4607 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2787112443&category=4607)

23" + Dual G5 with a buy it now of &#036;2,500... but this one has an escrow service&#33; I do find it interesting that the people who are selling these usually sell other items, in this case DVDs, Videos & Clothing.... its a bit sus... almost like somebody has hacked their account.
Checked the link but your item has gone. I guess it was more than sus and interesting about your comment of someone hacking their account. How would the hacker get the funds? Only way would be a phony Escrow. What a nasty world we live in. :blink:

kim jong il
24th February 2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Feb 8 2004, 03:48 PM
I busted two Romanian scammers...contacted them asking if i could pick up in person then reported them to ebay, who removed them a day later.

When you check the feedback, check if the previous auctions were for computer gear. One bloke who i contacted had his account hijacked the day before, but the hijacker hadn&#39;t changed his email address, so he replied to tell me it was dodgy.

Not god old &#39;Novocastrian&#39; This guy had made a mistake with exchange rates and was asking (on a buy it now) half of the then current reselling price (a 17 inch powerbook for &#036;1700). I confronted him (electronically) <_< and the items&#33; were delisted within 5 minutes.

That feedback thingy is interesting, because this guy had a reputation and feedback report made exclusively of CHEAP collectable CD,s and memorabilia and THEN a powerbook scam?

cheers, kim

Currawong
25th February 2004, 07:03 AM
One of the most notorious eBay scammers used to start up accounts, would buy a heap of small, cheap items and get them mailed to fake addresses, just to rack up large feedback quickly, then he&#39;d do a heap of scams in one hit.

Lately, as this trick is too obvious, scammers hack an account with good feedback. Most of these had gone unused, and weren&#39;t noticed as being hacked by the original owner. This was easy to figure out, as the last positive feedback was more than a month prior to the dodgy auctions.

More recently though, they have hacked active accounts, even while auctions are still running&#33; They are chancing on the owner not checking their running auction until the last day, giving a 3 day window for a scam.

Basically though, if they aren&#39;t always selling computers, be very wary if they suddenly start.