PDA

View Full Version : How to prep a machine for resale ?

scokim
17th July 2007, 10:20 AM
HI folks,
I'm selling my ibook and I would like to know how I can get the machine into the ex-factory state. i.e., when the new owner turns it on, it goes through the OSX installation phase and ask the owner to enter his account id, etc.

If that can't be done, then I would have to do a fresh install but what account id should i put so that the new owner can change it to his own ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Quamen
17th July 2007, 10:33 AM
Easy.

1. Backup all the data you want to keep.
2. Insert your install disks.
3. Do an install from scratch (customise the install)
4. When it boots up and starts the intro video simply hold down the power button and switch the machine off.
5. Ship it!

purana
17th July 2007, 10:37 AM
Easy.

1. Backup all the data you want to keep.
2. Insert your install disks.
3. Do an install from scratch (customise the install)
4. When it boots up and starts the intro video simply hold down the power button and switch the machine off.
5. Ship it!

+1.. exactly how I do it also.

scokim
17th July 2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks Quamen. :thumbup:

step_andy
17th July 2007, 12:06 PM
Don't forget to erase (zero out) the data via Disk Utility

W2ttsy
17th July 2007, 01:27 PM
if you are feeling really nice you could get all the latest updates off the apple site and burn them to disk.

helpful, especially if the buyer has a shitty internet connection. when i did a factory mini update recently, the total updates ran into almost a GB of data...

W2ttsy

mechcon
17th July 2007, 01:48 PM
there is a method apparently to delete a file or something, which will go through the whole welcome business again, so you could update everything, have all the software installed, but have everything look brand new i.e. welcome screen + registration..

If anyone could shed some light on that, that would be great!!

STK
17th July 2007, 02:05 PM
Google is your friend. (http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-48130.html)

Thats how to delete that file. The guy asking the question is in the same position as you are.

samuelclarke
17th July 2007, 02:17 PM
And don't forget to give it a clean - a damp sponge (but not too wet!) and lint free cloth (soft!). Clean Macs always look nicer and make the buyer feel that you're a good bloke - which hopefully is true!

The steps I normally will do when I sell a Mac are:

1. Get all my data off the hard drive
2. wipe the drive
3. reinstall Mac OSX
4. Install any updates
5. give it a clean
6. pack it carefully
7. ship it!

scokim
17th July 2007, 02:46 PM
And don't forget to give it a clean - a damp sponge (but not too wet!) and lint free cloth (soft!). Clean Macs always look nicer and make the buyer feel that you're a good bloke - which hopefully is true!

2. wipe the drive
3. reinstall Mac OSX
4. Install any updates
5. give it a clean
6. pack it carefully
7. ship it!

Most mac users pamper their machines... so i would think they are generally good blokes (people) !
Starting to miss my machine a bit already.

richbowen
17th July 2007, 02:46 PM
Don't forget to de-authorise iTunes before you do any of these.

Dubhousing
17th July 2007, 04:14 PM
I usually add a pamper ie a suede keyboard cover, a free isight. Original packing also helps make the buyer happy.

By the way I usually zerosum my HDD with at least 7 passes. Everybody calls me paranoid.

Evad
17th July 2007, 04:21 PM
a free isight! Now that's a good deal right there! ;-)

James
17th July 2007, 04:51 PM

2. wipe the drive
3. reinstall Mac OSX
4. Install any updates
5. give it a clean
6. pack it carefully
7. ship it!Don't forget Step 6.5... receive payment.

;)

samuelclarke
17th July 2007, 06:02 PM
Don't forget Step 6.5... receive payment.

;)

Yes, that is a minor detail. ;)

I was thinking about writing a book called 101 steps to selling you Mac - what every Apple lover needs to know...just kidding; and it isn't even funny :rolleyes: Me thinks that I've been at work too long today (15 hours) and need to go and get some rest (it's 1am here in the US)...

vwl
22nd July 2007, 08:34 PM
I usually add a pamper ie a suede keyboard cover, a free isight. Original packing also helps make the buyer happy.

By the way I usually zerosum my HDD with at least 7 passes. Everybody calls me paranoid.

Hi, how do you "zerosum" your HDD? By using Disk Utility or by another application?