PDA

View Full Version : Is there anywhere to get component level repairs in Vicco??

rooread
16th July 2007, 09:04 PM
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this but:.....
I have an ibook g4 with the ol' graphic chip/board issue. I have successfully brought it back to life by using the ol' g-clamp under the alt key fix but I know this fix won't last very long and its a real pain in the arse to use with a clamp hanging off it....
Anyway, I know this issue can be fixed relatively cheaply with the right equipment at component level and have seen the service advertised in the US and on ebay after googling it.
Does anyone do this in Australia???:confused: :confused:

rooread
18th July 2007, 09:26 AM
It just seems like a huge waste on money to not get this wonderful little notebook fixed.

stewiesno1
18th July 2007, 10:20 AM
I've done some board level soldering to fix issues like this for a few different problems and had 100% success rate so far for myself and for others. Basically I taught myself by reading up a lot then practising on some old crapped out circuits. It can be done but when I do it for others I don't give any sort of guarantee. I usually do it for free anyway. If you did find someone to do this for you I think the same rule would apply where if they didn;t charge you anything there would be no guarantee or if you found a company to do this , it would cost an arm and a leg. You just have to track down someone, preferably close to where you live.
I agree too. Too good a laptop to chuck , although if you parted it out you would likely get quite a bit back if you chose to go down that road.
Stewie

sanjay
19th July 2007, 09:07 PM
my G4 ibook in my sig cost me $100 from a mate who still had all the original gear and box for it. it obviously had this logic board issue.

a piece of rubber cut out in the form of a step was placed on a certain chip (http://coreyarnold.org/ibook/?p=20#comments) under the motherboard in the same vein as the G3 ibook logic board repair, and to this day it still works perfectly; it boots first time, every time and ive had no freezes, KPs or anything else on it :)

so yeah id give that a go if i were you, then you can flog it on ebay later on (whether you tell the buyer about how you fixed it or not is up to you of course ;) )

rooread
20th July 2007, 07:05 AM
Well, I'm finding the G-clamp method is starting to become unreliable so I'll check out that link.... Thanks for that. I'd love to get it fixed properly... Doesn't it seem ridiculous that in this day and age, I can't just take it down the street and get it fixed...... Bloody throw away society!

der
20th July 2007, 09:26 AM
there's these guys:

http://www.laptoptec.com.au/

and i've read some good things about them on whirlpool. however, i don't know if they touch macs, and they're based in sydney. best to email them and ask i guess.

they've got my pc laptop atm, so i don't really know what they're like personally.

good luck!

sanjay
22nd July 2007, 06:43 PM
Well, I'm finding the G-clamp method is starting to become unreliable so I'll check out that link.... Thanks for that. I'd love to get it fixed properly... Doesn't it seem ridiculous that in this day and age, I can't just take it down the street and get it fixed...... Bloody throw away society!

the ONLY sure fire way to fix this issue is a logic board replacement.

and even then, the new logic board will still have the same design flaw (lead free solder on a BGA array) and the same thing will inevitably happen again.

hence the 'pressure on the lone chip' fix will do me just fine, cost me nothing and im using it right now, still perfect :)

by the way, dont blame society, blame apple for putting the ibook with its atrocious design flaw into production, and ignoring the millions of customers worldwide who have complained of this problem on their G4s. blame apple for not learning after the abomination that was the G3 ibook recall. but blaming apple is all too difficult for most of the people on this forum.

rooread
22nd July 2007, 07:51 PM
Oh I blame Apple. I'm spewing that all the wonderful, pretty, and oh so usable products that I've bought from Apple aren't that reliable anymore. Ipod nightmares and other well known product defects are becoming waayyyyy to common and Apple's image will suffer accordingly. Fortunately for Apple, the mere thought of going back to a Windows machine is just unpalatable for me and many other Mac users around the world.

kim jong il
23rd July 2007, 01:04 PM
I did a quick google search (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=circuit+board+repairs&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryAU) selecting sites in Australia and the first page came up with two component level circuit board repairers that are located in or have a branch in Melbourne (further refinement of the search may find someone located nearer to you; e.g. Geelong might be a possibility). While one is a large commercial concern (http://www.startronics.com.au/product_intro.html) (and maybe not your best bet), the other seems to be a small business (http://www.mjr.net.au/index.html) and may be the best bet for an economical repair. In this case you will also have the benefit of telling the person concerned exactly what it it is that needs to be done. (is it reflowing the solder on a BGA chip in the G4's?)

sanjay
23rd July 2007, 07:30 PM
the solder on one of the chips (the one you have to apply pressure to) cracks and makes a loose connection with the motherboard, i imagine the solder attaching that IC back onto the board would fix it for good (possibly using some lead based solder too to make the fix permanent).

rooread
23rd July 2007, 08:40 PM
Many thanks guys. I had done a search for this service on the net but you know those days you have when you just can't find ANYTHING you're looking for on the web?? I was having one of those days!