PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

The Fluffy Duck
16th July 2007, 07:25 PM
Two part question:

First, Ive had my MBP LED for about three weeks now and I have noticed some things that are quite diffrent to my ibook in regards to sleeping habbits.

* Its alwasy slower than my ibook to sleep or come out of sleep
* There is a massive junk of my HD dedicated to Sleep img.
* The sleep/awake times are at random legnths. some times it takes ages and sometimes its average.

Second.In the case of a crash/hard boot, it can take ages for my mac to boot, but it doest get there. Also occasionaly the system is frozen after I wake it from sleep.

Yes I have run permissions and cron tasks.

Is this normal intel mac behavior or am I being fussy with my sleep times?

Rayd
16th July 2007, 07:29 PM
the sleep timing is because it is writing the state to the hard drive as it prepares the laptop for "Safe sleep," quite usless really. I turned it off on my macbook and now its just as fast as my iBook at going in and out of sleep. this also resolves the huge file dedicated to sleep. :D

heres how: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070302210328928&query=safe%2Bsleep

The Fluffy Duck
16th July 2007, 07:42 PM
Oh thank god thats better :) thx dude

mac_man_luke
16th July 2007, 07:46 PM
Safe sleep always buggers up for me any way

STK
16th July 2007, 07:51 PM
Where does one find

/private var vm sleepimage

??

The Fluffy Duck
16th July 2007, 08:04 PM
go to "go to folder" in the finder and type in /private/var/vm and the sleep image should be there its a hefty few gig

choy
16th July 2007, 10:24 PM
safe sleep is a godsend for me! If the batt runs totally flat in my bag, I don't have to restart - which is essentially a crash. The downside is the slower wakeup and initial unresponsiveness, also I've managed to kill my RAM by trying to force shutdown whilst my macbook was saving contents from RAM to HD.

The Fluffy Duck
16th July 2007, 10:39 PM
I am as happy as a pig in mud now with quickly sleeping/waking mbp :) thx again

DJY
16th July 2007, 10:39 PM
Oh thank god thats better :) thx dude

Time to update your signature too Fluffy Duck!