PDA

View Full Version : eject now triggers dashboard ... wtf?

xfodder
16th July 2007, 04:08 PM
just after i installed an update for my Logitech S530 keyboard for some strange reason, when i press the eject key on my keyboard it triggers the dashboard instead of ejecting. anyone have any idea how i can change it back ?

Jimbo
16th July 2007, 04:15 PM
you can't, the keyboard maps f12 to the eject key. You simply hold down that key to eject the cd drive.

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 04:20 PM
just after i installed an update for my Logitech S530 keyboard for some strange reason, when i press the eject key on my keyboard it triggers the dashboard instead of ejecting. anyone have any idea how i can change it back ?

Buy a Windows Keyboard, and what you get is...... , a windows keyboard!;) See Jimbos comment!

xfodder
16th July 2007, 04:23 PM
but this isnt a windows keyboard ... its made for the mac
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/158&cl=us,en

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 04:30 PM
but this isnt a windows keyboard ... its made for the mac
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/158&cl=us,en

Obviously then, someone stuffed up! Does it say made for Mac or did the sales guy tell you that!:confused:

One would assume that if it is made for mac, the funcions would be correct. Question: Did it come with an install CD? or is it plug n play? does it have a preferences panel?:confused:

cosmichobo
16th July 2007, 04:44 PM
Not wanting to hijack this.. but I want to know why F12 opens Dashboard.... and Shift + F12 opens Dashboard - really slowly...

Trying to use Shift F12 in FCP, and I keep getting dashboard instead of toggling external video.

andrew.wilson
16th July 2007, 04:46 PM
Shift + any of the F commands brings it up slowly...I read about it on one of the tip websites...not sure why.

Kinda cool for the first time or two...

xfodder
16th July 2007, 04:50 PM
i am absolutely certain that this keyboard is made for the mac ... i bought it, i didnt let the sales guy tell me what to buy and yes it does have a control panel but it doesnt have anything to do with normal function keys ... only the extra special keys ...

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 04:55 PM
i am absolutely certain that this keyboard is made for the mac ... i bought it, i didnt let the sales guy tell me what to buy and yes it does have a control panel but it doesnt have anything to do with normal function keys ... only the extra special keys ...

Does it say categorically anywhere on the packaging or instructions, "Made for Mac"? Should have the Mac finder symbol on the box if it is. Same as wwhen you buy a printer, you look for the "Made for Mac"

Redman
16th July 2007, 05:10 PM
i am absolutely certain that this keyboard is made for the mac ..

I have the same keyboard.
Running version 1.6.2 and all is OK here, but haven't installed any update since I bought it (about 8 months ago)

Check your version ( System Profiler - Software - Preference Panes - Logitech Control Centre)
You may need to revert to the previous version

soadaholic
16th July 2007, 05:18 PM
try getting updated drivers from the site.. the ones on the CD are usually bogus and really out of date..

xfodder
16th July 2007, 05:37 PM
Does it say categorically anywhere on the packaging or instructions, "Made for Mac"? Should have the Mac finder symbol on the box if it is. Same as wwhen you buy a printer, you look for the "Made for Mac"

im not a mac noob :) i know how to check for mac compatibility :P this IS a mac keyboard

im running version 2.2.2 of LCC and yes they are the latest drivers available

Currawong
16th July 2007, 06:07 PM
I can second that, the S530 set IS made for use with Macs. That being said, when Mac OS X can't detect an Apple keyboard, it assigns F12 to the eject key. However, eject should be a long press, not a short one. Have you checked the keyboard settings in the System Preferences?

rtc
16th July 2007, 06:11 PM
The Tiger functions of Exposť and Dashboard (defaults are F9 thru F12) come with a built in slow-mo mode invoked via shift key. Word on the street is that this was developed for the tiger demo that The Unmentionable One did at Macworld or WWDC (whichever it was that had Tiger) so that the audience could go "ooh" and "aah" appropriately. The story continues that it was left in for (a) salesman demonstrating macs and (b) mac zealots showing off and rubbing it in to their PC nemeses.

Holding down the F12 key on a keyboard that does not have an eject button, functions the same way as if you pressed the eject key. This is true even for native mac keyboards that used to ship with macs, e.g. my black-keyed graphite monstrosity.

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 06:12 PM
im not a mac noob :) i know how to check for mac compatibility :P this IS a mac keyboard

im running version 2.2.2 of LCC and yes they are the latest drivers available

Sorry to offend, But the question was Valid!:cool:

Rayd
16th July 2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry to offend, But the question was Valid!:cool:

maybe the first time, but after the 3rd time.. its kinda makes you look stoopid ;) maybe you should be introduced to google :D

anyway, i also have this set... it works great for me, try to remap some keys in the LCC :D

PS: Shift plus any annimation will make it go in slow-mo, try it when minimising a window :D

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 07:01 PM
maybe the first time, but after the 3rd time.. its kinda makes you look stoopid ;) maybe you should be introduced to google :D

anyway, i also have this set... it works great for me, try to remap some keys in the LCC :D

PS: Shift plus any annimation will make it go in slow-mo, try it when minimising a window :D

No more help from me mate, :( Google it yourself!!, I dont know you or your situation from a bar of soap, and the question, even if it was asked 3 times was still legitimate, in clarifying your query. your answers did not provide the full picture so the question needed to be asked again.

Save yourself the bother next time and go buy an Apple product.

xfodder
16th July 2007, 07:29 PM
No more help from me mate, :( Google it yourself!!, I dont know you or your situation from a bar of soap, and the question, even if it was asked 3 times was still legitimate, in clarifying your query. your answers did not provide the full picture so the question needed to be asked again.

Save yourself the bother next time and go buy an Apple product.

i believe it was i who answered your questions ... not rayd oh and i already own an apple keyboard and i think its rubbish, so i bought this one last year i also linked to a page that displays all info about the keyboard so i dont know why you asked me 3 times :P

now settle down, mac users have nothing to fight over

im not sure people understand what my problem is ... my EJECT KEY doesnt eject anymore ... instead it displays dashboard ... my F12 key works fine

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 08:10 PM
i believe it was i who answered your questions ... not rayd oh and i already own an apple keyboard and i think its rubbish, so i bought this one last year i also linked to a page that displays all info about the keyboard so i dont know why you asked me 3 times :P

now settle down, mac users have nothing to fight over

im not sure people understand what my problem is ... my EJECT KEY doesnt eject anymore ... instead it displays dashboard ... my F12 key works fine

No haven't understood a word you said because I usually read these posts while standing on my head reading through a mirror!

Re read the last sentence of my last comment and have a nice day!:mad:

Brains
16th July 2007, 08:13 PM
I think it was in 10.4.8 that Apple decided to slide Eject over to F12 for all machines. If you want to trigger Dashboard, press and release F12 quickly. If you want to eject a disc, press and hold F12 til the disc pops out, it won't trigger Dashboard.

This press-and-hold also applies to all keyboards with a dedicated Eject key, too -- before the change, a simple tap would eject the disc, now you have to press and hold it for about half a second before the unmount-and-eject command is issued. A simple tap on the Eject key will trigger Dashboard.

No, there's no way to revert the behaviour.

B.