PDA

View Full Version : aligning desktop icons on the left

Sofa Surfer
15th July 2007, 12:47 PM
Hi guys,

is there any way to align the desktop icons on the left hand side of the screen instead of the right hand side?

nortonjg
15th July 2007, 12:58 PM
Maybe just dragging them across? not sure if you can change it any other way

Rayd
15th July 2007, 01:06 PM
the hard drive keeps moving to the right everytime you resart though, it annoying.

andrew.wilson
15th July 2007, 01:12 PM
In view options for the desktop, uncheck 'snap to grid', then you should be able to drag the icons from the right, all the way to the left, the only problem is that you will have to align them manually. I run with my two HD partitions and 3 man folders on the right and two or three extra apps (I didn't want in dock) on the left. Windows habits I guess...

Currawong
15th July 2007, 03:26 PM
No essentially - I recommend just adapting to the Mac's way of doing things. Trying to make things behave like Windows (people used to want it to behave like OS9 in the days when many people were planning to make the transition) is just opening one up to a load of frustration.

meinrosebud
15th July 2007, 04:21 PM
OS X is not windows, the reason the icons are where they are is so they don't get hidden under the pull down menus. If it is annoying I am sure you could find a utility somewhere.

Johnny Appleseed
15th July 2007, 04:57 PM
Yup, the only reason Windows dresses to the left is to make it look like less of a rip-off of the Mac. The same reason the Start menu is at the bottom, window buttons are on the right etc.