PDA

View Full Version : firewall is 'off'?

elliptrical
14th July 2007, 10:55 PM
Hi. Just wondering if I should turn my firewall on as it is currently set to off. I wouldn't know how to do it at any rate so any guidance would be appreciated. I am connected to wireless broadband and my other computer is a PC. I dont expect to share anything with it-except maybe a printer.

Dumb question alert: does my PC activity affect my mac?--since we are attched to the same modem (Mac wireless and PC is regualr ether cable)

Byrd
14th July 2007, 11:10 PM
Hi elliptrical,

There is possibility that a firewall is already enabled on your wireless router - you'll need to login to this to see. A firewall is definately worthwhile, if not enabled I'd just enable it on your router, not on the Mac/PC itself. Same goes for enabling some form of encryption on your wireless network :)

JB

andrew.wilson
14th July 2007, 11:11 PM
I am pretty sure being attached to the modem won't have any affect on your mac.

If you don't really plan on sharing anything, there is nothing to be lost from turning it on. That's my thoughts anyway.

The pro's and con's of each setting are better left up to someone with more knowledge of OS X security settings.

Same goes for enabling some form of encryption on your wireless network

...unless your my neighbor :p *suffers through crappy monthly quota*

Currawong
15th July 2007, 10:51 AM
Going by the address you used to connect to MacTalk, you're not using wireless broadband, but are using wireless to connect to ADSL. In that case, whatever ADSL modem you have would act as a firewall, so you don't need it switched on.

meinrosebud
15th July 2007, 11:56 AM
Two layers of protection is better than one, I have a hardware firewall on my router & OS X has its software firewall.

Currawong
15th July 2007, 12:08 PM
meinrosebud: That may seem so on the surface, but is an illusion. Actually knowing about security is the real protection. For example, if you download software that is actually a trojan or virus and run it, then two firewalls wont have helped you at all.

elliptrical
15th July 2007, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone.
Currawong-thanks for your input too. You're right, I'm connected to a normal modem using wireless tech (Airport extreme) So that makes sense now. I did, however, set the firewall to on in system prefs so I guess I wont know until something gets blocked etc.

So am I safe to do internet banking etc???

Currawong
15th July 2007, 03:18 PM
You're very safe to do internet banking. :)

elliptrical
15th July 2007, 04:22 PM
:D Cool. Thanks