PDA

View Full Version : highly unrecommend samsung phones

supermans_alter_ego
14th July 2007, 04:42 PM
i got a samsung mobile about a year ago for something different and i'll never ever do it again. here are some of the things wrong with it.

keys are slow to react to presses.
keys are too far apart for quick messaging.
menu sometimes slow to react.
time sometimes doesn't update if not opened for a few hrs.
when i try to turn it off, usually automatically turns itself back on.
can't sync with laptop.

and as of today.
4 times out of 5 i cannot turn bluetooth on.

totaly piece of crap and i'll be going back to nokia or sony ericson asap. might even switch back to my old phone while my contract expires.

soadaholic
14th July 2007, 04:53 PM
I used to have a Samsung and it was the worst phone I ever had.. Switched to Motorolla and I can't say that they are too much better... but I haven't had TOO many problems with it... I think I'll go back to Nokia though.

silverdreamer
14th July 2007, 04:57 PM
I have had two Samsung Phones. Both have been extremely good phones in my opinion, sorry you scored a dud!:cool:

Arkhum_Eramak
14th July 2007, 04:57 PM
Perhaps it is just that it is a crummy low end phone? Surely their higher end feature rich $600+ phones aren't this bad? I have no idea of course, but that could just be it. The amount of times I've heard people damn a company's products because they used the most horrible model they produce has been astounding.
That said, don't think I'm some kind of Samsung mobile reseller or supporter. I own a Palm smartphone.

supermans_alter_ego
14th July 2007, 05:00 PM
no when i got this phone it was being advertised as the competition to the razr. it was their 3G best at the time. but compared to the alternative that was offered to me on the same plan, a nokia n70, there is no comparison. i have played with both since and my crappy samsung is exactly that.

silverdreamer
14th July 2007, 05:04 PM
no when i got this phone it was being advertised as the competition to the razr. it was their 3G best at the time. but compared to the alternative that was offered to me on the same plan, a nokia n70, there is no comparison. i have played with both since and my crappy samsung is exactly that.

Mines the Z510 Love it! Great phone.:)

Arkhum_Eramak
14th July 2007, 05:08 PM
Ah okay, cool. Just had to be sure :P

Too bad with that. If Palm weren't going down the proverbial shitter I'd advise getting a newer model Treo...but...well...and they are....so....nevermind.

supermans_alter_ego
14th July 2007, 05:11 PM
Mines the Z510 Love it! Great phone.:)

silver dreamer, thats the phone i have. maybe i just got a dodgy one. but yeah i find it slow and not really very friendly. looks ok. but given the list is growing of things on it that work when they feel like it, i'm not very impressed.

silverdreamer
14th July 2007, 05:32 PM
silver dreamer, thats the phone i have. maybe i just got a dodgy one. but yeah i find it slow and not really very friendly. looks ok. but given the list is growing of things on it that work when they feel like it, i'm not very impressed.

All I can say Dude, is sorry you got a Dud!:)

Shatter
14th July 2007, 05:37 PM
1MB of RAM isn't enough to run a phone. :D

halledise
14th July 2007, 06:19 PM
have had 2 Samsung phones - yeah they been ok.

had a few Moto's - they've been pretty good too.

yet when I got hold of a Sony-Ericsson I realised wot I'd been missing!

great software - easy to use - fast - also clear sound in & out.
(that is to say, I can hear other callers and they can hear me clearly.)

currently have the w880i - what a pearler
:cool: :thumbup:

astr0b0y
14th July 2007, 06:44 PM
Highly recommend a thesaurus ;)

zeddie2001
14th July 2007, 06:54 PM

The Oxford American Thesaurus doesn't actually have any antonyms for "recommend" - that's the one built in to OSX.

Just in case you were wondering :o

supermans_alter_ego
14th July 2007, 06:55 PM

and a smiley substitutes for a full stop? :P

nicwithsticks
14th July 2007, 07:16 PM
I was a Nokia boy before switching to Sony Ericsson three years ago. If the iPhone isn't my next phone, it will be a Nokia. My first Sony died just shy of its two year birthday, and my current phone is the supposedly good K800i - that has broken 3 times in the first 10 months.

halledise
14th July 2007, 08:03 PM

theasaurus says (confucius' brother)

'pearler - valuable thing offered or given to people who do not appreciate them'

cosmichobo
14th July 2007, 08:13 PM
I had a Samsung T100 - it was GREAT.

Now have a cheaper... um... some other Samsung phone... can't complain about it either...

thorevenge
14th July 2007, 09:14 PM
My fiance has the Samsung SGH-e420.

Apart from getting used to the SMS interface she loves it.

Johnny Appleseed
14th July 2007, 10:49 PM
Samsung did make the Matrix Reloaded phone. I've got one, but unfortunately it's CDMA and locked to Sprint in the US.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8636/cellularaccessorycom195xv2.th.gif (http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cellularaccessorycom195xv2.gif)

scritch
15th July 2007, 12:12 AM
Sorry to hear your negative Samsung experience. I'd love to say I disagree with you, but from my experience and for what I expected from a quality phone, the two Samsung Z510's I played with just didn't make it through the first day (bluetooth issues, random crashes, memory constraints, UI slowdowns, bad sync support etc).

Each brand has their hits and misses. I was originally an Ericsson user (T37), then went to Nokia with the 8810, then from Nokia to SonyEricsson when the T68/ T68i came out (now that was a flawed yet revolutionary phone), and stayed away from Nokia for a long time (what I call the "Toyota days" ie whilst their phones worked, they got boring, lacked features, proprietary interfaces and crummy software - both in phone and desktop sync).

Along the way i got attached to the clamshell design (I was always a candy bar person before), so when SE decided to focus on candy bars again to the detriment of their clamshells they lost me to Motorola (with the V3x, then V3xx). Motorola have alot to learn on user interface design and I think Samsung fits there too. Hardware is good but software in the phone is still non-intuitive.

Now I'm back on Nokia with the N95. Not a clamshell but a "slider" which isn't a bad compromise. Still a slightly flawed product (I need to manage my usage to ensure I have adequate battery power when I need it), but by far the best mobile phone/device I have ever owned. Nokia got almost everything right in this handset, learning from their early day mistakes.
Industry standard microSD - check
Industry standard miniUSB - check
Full featured bluetooth - check
3.5mm stereo headset plug - check
Good Windows and Mac support - check

But again - not the right phone for everyone - just those that need or want what it can do.

Over the years I've used a phone from almost every major mobile phone manufacturer out there, and the main thing that I have learned is that one person may be happy with a Sagem (I don't know how, but hey), whilst another needs a High End Symbian or Windows Mobile phone.

The main thing everyone seems to agree on is that we're not quite there yet with UI design and ease of use, but we get closer every day. I watch with anticipation how Apple progress with the iPhone. It's not right for me yet (I want 3G HSDPA, MMS, Vibrate, expandable memory, full bluetooth) but I think they are on the right track.

Regards,
Shane.

Exocet
15th July 2007, 12:44 AM
Bad Z510s? Wow. I had one myself before switching to the hiptop, and was thoroughly impressed. There were one or two dodgy software versions (C4 and D1 if I remember correctly) but I'd definitely recommend the phone to anyone. I'll say this though, they're one hell of a water-resistant phone - I know three which have gone for a swim and still work perfectly.

happyfrappy
15th July 2007, 05:05 AM
Samsung blows chunks in the US/Canada market on the GSM side and you'll hear carrier reps call them "Samsucks" for their high number of returns & dropped call complaints. They can't ring+vibe, lousy UI/menus, poor reception on most models(non-3G) and downright awful battery life. Oddly CDMA customers on Telus, Bell Mobility, Sprint & VerizonWireless enjoy the nicer-snappy UI/menus, spiffy voicedial without training it, good reception and call quality, etc.
Maybe when the pending T-Mobile Samsung Blast(T729) is launched, the trend of lousy models will be a thing of the past. T729 is a slider with a QWERTY keypad and supports BB Connect.

*sigh* I won a Samsung UpStage from Sprint via a music event, nice expensive paperweight. Heck I don't even live in a Sprint coverage zone and was shocked I could still win it... :D :eek:

I'm staying with SE & Nokia. If the worst happened, I'd take a Samsung over a Moto.

shiny
15th July 2007, 09:06 AM
I have a Z510 and it is a great phone, I also know of 4 other people who have got a Samsung phone and are happy.

I know Samsung's earlier efforts were pretty bad and the first few Z510's had issues with buggy software, my Z510 did the weird time thing for a couple of days , all I did was restart the phone and it has never done it since. Very happy with my Samsung.

supermans_alter_ego
15th July 2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry to hear your negative Samsung experience. I'd love to say I disagree with you, but from my experience and for what I expected from a quality phone, the two Samsung Z510's I played with just didn't make it through the first day (bluetooth issues, random crashes, memory constraints, UI slowdowns, bad sync support etc).

Each brand has their hits and misses. I was originally an Ericsson user (T37), then went to Nokia with the 8810, then from Nokia to SonyEricsson when the T68/ T68i came out (now that was a flawed yet revolutionary phone), and stayed away from Nokia for a long time (what I call the "Toyota days" ie whilst their phones worked, they got boring, lacked features, proprietary interfaces and crummy software - both in phone and desktop sync).

Along the way i got attached to the clamshell design (I was always a candy bar person before), so when SE decided to focus on candy bars again to the detriment of their clamshells they lost me to Motorola (with the V3x, then V3xx). Motorola have alot to learn on user interface design and I think Samsung fits there too. Hardware is good but software in the phone is still non-intuitive.

Now I'm back on Nokia with the N95. Not a clamshell but a "slider" which isn't a bad compromise. Still a slightly flawed product (I need to manage my usage to ensure I have adequate battery power when I need it), but by far the best mobile phone/device I have ever owned. Nokia got almost everything right in this handset, learning from their early day mistakes.

But again - not the right phone for everyone - just those that need or want what it can do.

Over the years I've used a phone from almost every major mobile phone manufacturer out there, and the main thing that I have learned is that one person may be happy with a Sagem (I don't know how, but hey), whilst another needs a High End Symbian or Windows Mobile phone.

The main thing everyone seems to agree on is that we're not quite there yet with UI design and ease of use, but we get closer every day. I watch with anticipation how Apple progress with the iPhone. It's not right for me yet (I want 3G HSDPA, MMS, Vibrate, expandable memory, full bluetooth) but I think they are on the right track.

Regards,
Shane.

how do you go through so many phones? do you buy them outright or work for a telco? i think i am gonna look into a way of getting a new one.

cosmichobo
15th July 2007, 12:06 PM
Samsung blows chunks....They can't ring+vibe.

My T100 rang and vibed.... My new cheap prepaid can't...

DJY
15th July 2007, 12:38 PM

Regards,
Shane.

So it now has good Mac support[?] - which is a big plus for me - and might make me go look at this one this week! Think I read in here recently about the Nokia Mac software, and have read that many members in here have a N95 working nicely with iSync. There are too many [hundreds] pages over at Whirlpool for me to try and read on this phone... so will start more searches here and on the net about N95 + Mac.

My SE W810i is giving me the SH*ts.

Wanted to move to NextG - but none of the phones go close...
so now I'm stuck - do I buy another 2G GSM phone?
SE still? Nokia? Moto UI is not something I am keen to have to put up with!!!!

Try and hang out till the new SE K850i arrives hopefully on NextG in Q4?

happyfrappy
16th July 2007, 12:32 AM
My T100 rang and vibed.... My new cheap prepaid can't...

It must of been one of the very few international models with that feature, remember I said "US/Canada-aka North America" which you snipped out- we use 850mhz & 1900mhz, sadly such a simple ring profile is only on Samsung's CDMA phones these days(non-branded GSM Samsungs aren't sold in the US so it could be different in other parts of the world). In the US/Canada we're stuck with massively carrier influenced, penny pinching and nickle 'n diming. For example carrier branded Samsungs like the C407, C417, A437, T-Mobile Stripe(T329) and other low-mid end models have bluetooth's OBEX profile stripped and just basic headset & carkit without much upfront info of "basic bluetooth" unless you open the box and read the users manual. I've noticed on campus more people have opted to imported phones from Europe or Hongkong as they aren't "crippled". I debranded my Nokia 5300 & Cingular 8125/HTC Wizard :D

supermans_alter_ego- some carriers have agreements with workplaces as a benefits package so a few people will take full advantage of 2-3 upgrades per year with a contract renewal. In this kind of situation, it allows anyone to hop from one maker to the next in a very short period of time :D

Mike111
16th July 2007, 07:34 AM
I just switched my (dog) Samsung Next G special to a Treo 750 and love it. You need Missing Sync though.

supermans_alter_ego
16th July 2007, 05:49 PM
well i think cos i was b*tching about it my samsung decided to give up the ghost. i didn't use it all day and had charged it last night yet my batter was empty. and i still have a year left on my contract. not happy at all.

silverdreamer
16th July 2007, 06:00 PM
well i think cos i was b*tching about it my samsung decided to give up the ghost. i didn't use it all day and had charged it last night yet my batter was empty. and i still have a year left on my contract. not happy at all.

get it fixed and stop bellyaching!:p

Disclaimer
18th February 2008, 03:56 PM
I know I'm about 6 months too late for this conversation but... stuff it... I need to add my 2 cents.

I bought a Samsung Z510 when they'd not long come out and it's given me nothing but trouble. Chaotic predictive text issues, over- and under-sensitive keys, random shut-offs... AND, over time, I've asked at least 5 people with the phone what they think and they ALL had the same problems. I've also been told by two different staff members at two different Fone Zone stores that it was ultimately a dud model.

What makes things worse is that Samsung seem unwilling to acknowledge their mistakes.

Following months of not being able to get the phone in to be looked at, I travelled overseas and accidentally damaged the outside screen. It was an inconsequential thing that simply meant I couldn't see the time or who was calling without flipping the phone open. Big whoop. Of course, when I finally went to get the software glitches fixed, I was told my warranty was voided by the damage and no pre-existing problems would be dealt with. Typical...

Finally sick of the phone, I contacted Samsung by letter... suggesting they accept responsibility for a phone known to be a dud (the same way Microsoft were willing to extend warranties on good faith for dodgy Xboxes) and fix it in spite of the red tape, they didn't even respond!

Needless to say, I can't even get out of the contract without spending more than the useless phone's worth.

bigdude101
18th February 2008, 04:30 PM
Dad's Z510 has the dud keypad as well, his plan finishes april, he's excited

tcn33
18th February 2008, 04:56 PM
In a past life I dealt with Samsung on a daily basis, as my employer's contact with them for prepaid handset network locking. As a vendor they were unresponsive, error-prone and generally worthless - much like their handsets.

emerson
18th February 2008, 05:23 PM
My previous phone was the Samsung D900, i was pretty impressed with it.
mine rang and vibrated from memory too.

internet
18th February 2008, 08:20 PM
I bought a Samsung Z510 when they'd not long come out and it's given me nothing but trouble. Chaotic predictive text issues, over- and under-sensitive keys, random shut-offs... AND, over time, I've asked at least 5 people with the phone what they think and they ALL had the same problems. I've also been told by two different staff members at two different Fone Zone stores that it was ultimately a dud model.

What makes things worse is that Samsung seem unwilling to acknowledge their mistakes.

i had the same problem with my Z510.. my D500 before that was unreal, so i gave them a second chance and got the Blackjack i610 Windows Mobile thingie for work. it's fast on next g, great with email, but battery life sucks..
waiting for iPhone with push email and 3G.. can't wait to get away from windows mobile and plastic crap!