PDA

View Full Version : Video Conversion Users - Help Needed!

Alessiman
27th January 2005, 08:25 PM
Evening all,

I guess I am lucky/stupid enough (grin) to own two fairly high end machines

A dual 1.8 PM G5 and a Intel LGA755 3.0Ghz machine with lots of Ram for Vmware

Anyway I do most of video work on the mac. I like/love iDVD, Roxio Toast, etc etc however one little utility that totally blows me away is a 2.8 meg file on the pc call DVD Santa

Santa lets me drag as many DivX files i like into its "to do" area and then will sort out and do the necessary conversions and compressions to fit onto a single layer DVD b4 burning

This way I can get 3-4 episode of say Lost, The Amazing Race etc onto a single DVD.

Two things why Santa is so good.

1.) It conversion to DVD format shows little to no loss of image quality what so ever. Toast, iDVD all show noticeable video degradation when converting

2.) Support widescreen!!

Does anyone know of a mac equivalent?

If anyone here has pc and does video conversions. Download and check it out

Yes its that good!

But..... I want it for the mac :-)

Help please

zefi
29th January 2005, 12:19 PM
Try MpegStreamClip - a free utility.

Alessiman
30th January 2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by zefi@Jan 29 2005, 12:19 PM
Try MpegStreamClip - a free utility.
Hey Zefi,

Had a chance to try it out. This is no different from the other video convertors I have

What i need is one that will left me select as many files as I want and then batch compress and burn onto a single layer DVD

titan44
30th January 2005, 09:13 PM
I think FFmpegX will do it

Alessiman
30th January 2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by titan44@Jan 30 2005, 09:13 PM
I think FFmpegX will do it
Nope,

Been there done that as well

Toast is the closest I've seen thus far as it lets me select the number of shows I want to burn but will not let me burn more than 2 hours of video. There is just no option to select a higher comression ratio.

Also it doesn't support 16:9 files

FFmpegX just does the conversions of video format.

vid
30th January 2005, 11:24 PM
I'm Not sure if it's what you want but I think POPCORN which is also Roxio Product does some of the thing you want.

titan44
31st January 2005, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by Alessiman@Jan 30 2005, 09:45 PM
Also it doesn't support 16:9 files

Are you using the latest verson?

The reason i use it for divx => DVD is because it supports and converts 4:3, 1.85:1, 2:35.1 and 16:9, i could never get DVDSP to handle a 1.85.1, as for shrinking, you could run the files out on FFmpegX and use DVDRemaser to fit on a SL DVD.

Alessiman
31st January 2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by titan44@Jan 31 2005, 06:53 AM
Are you using the latest verson?

The reason i use it for divx => DVD is because it supports and converts 4:3, 1.85:1, 2:35.1 and 16:9, i could never get DVDSP to handle a 1.85.1, as for shrinking, you could run the files out on FFmpegX and use DVDRemaser to fit on a SL DVD.
I have the latest versions of both ffmpegx and popcorn

I was refering to popcorn/toast not support 16:9 files

I can't see how you get from ffmpegx -> dvdremaster ??

Dvdremaster only accepts input from a video_ts and audio_ts directory

What i want to do its group say 3 to 4 hours worth of Divx AVI's and have them converted and compressed onto a single layer DVD

Dvdremaster doesn't do that

purana
31st January 2005, 09:50 AM
I need to do more tinkering with video stuff.. I am still yet to find an application that is easy to use and works well for editing out commericals in my mpeg streams.

Seriously my quicktime just doesn't do it. I tried and tried, but still can't get it to work.

titan44
31st January 2005, 10:08 AM
Master dvd from ffmpegX , outputs VIDEO_TS Folder, run that thru DVDRemaster

But you can set your output filesize in FFmpegX anyhow.

You could join your DIVX's in FFmpegX, You may be able to auto chapter them as a quicker way to navagate thru them (Not sure on this).