PDA

View Full Version : Finder & scrolling horizontally

tania2412
13th July 2007, 09:57 PM
This is probably a really basic question but I'm madly trying to finish a project involving a lot of family photos and I have my Finder window open and I'm showing decent sized thumbnails of each file in the window (like 2cm x 2cm). I pressed the green plus in the top left of the window to make it take up the whole screen but I don't understand why I have to scroll in both directions to see all files. What I'm trying to do is set the window up so I only have to scroll vertically, not horizontally. What am I missing?

andrew.wilson
13th July 2007, 10:05 PM
Try clicking the view options for that folder, snapping to grid or aligning by name or something like that, I usually find that does the trick.

Snap to grid I think is the one you want.

forgie
13th July 2007, 10:10 PM
If you press ⌘+J in Finder, then at the bottom press the "Keep arranged by" checkbox, Finder will make the icons fit in the window automatically.

feeze
13th July 2007, 10:12 PM
View -> Clean up

tania2412
13th July 2007, 10:21 PM
Keep arranged by did it. It got rid of the vertical scroller and made it horizontal scrolling only which is close enough. I never understood the snap to grid option, anytime I check it nothing appears to happen. Clean up ended up putting more space between the icons it appears! Anyway, Im happy to scroll across ways instead of down. Thanks for saving me from pulling my hair out :)

forgie
13th July 2007, 11:03 PM
"Snap to grid" means that when you are arranging icons yourself (which can only happen when you don't have "Keep arranged by" checked) the icons will 'snap' to a grid - you can only put the icons on an invisible grid which keeps them all lined up.