PDA

View Full Version : iPod - can it overheat.

dolbinau
13th July 2007, 05:41 PM
Can my 4G Photo (recently refurbished) overhead if it is being constantly accessed/used to transfer large files?

It's getting kind of warm :-/

Shatter
13th July 2007, 05:43 PM
Most likely not, but the HDD is gonna wear out quicker than normal.

Rasta
13th July 2007, 05:52 PM
Isn't it designed to get warm because the casing is taking the heat from the HDD to the surface to dissipate... the same way the Airport Express and powerpacks are designed?

Of course it can overheat like this (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=33797) but that's a pretty rare occurrence.
:)

Byrd
13th July 2007, 05:58 PM
Should be fine, although I'd one day look into getting another external HD for copying stuff onto. By design the hard disk spins up and down repeatedly playing music, keeping it cool, the iPod's casing does not have any cooling at all to disippate heat if the drive is accessed constantly.

JB

Shatter
13th July 2007, 06:00 PM
Should be fine, although I'd one day look into getting another external HD for copying stuff onto. By design the hard disk spins up and down repeatedly playing music, keeping it cool, the iPod's casing does not have any cooling at all to disippate heat if the drive is accessed constantly.

JB

And so it can avoid this, it loads the next few songs in advance when you're using it as an iPod.

Smart.

Atomac
13th July 2007, 06:10 PM
There was a problem that I discovered with 3G iPods. Silicon cases could cause them to overheat and warp the case. I kid you not.