PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my i Book!

ando5
27th January 2005, 05:57 PM
:o For some stupid reason, I can't get my i Book to turn on properly. I switch it on, it makes the starting sound and then nothing. Blank screen. I've tried the control, shift and option thingy but no good! The little circle light at the front of the i Book isn't lit up either. I don't know if it is just a screen problem or there is more to it. Will appreciate any suggestions!

hawker
27th January 2005, 06:01 PM
maybe your screen brightness is turned down? I'd say that is a small option, but a possible one. Past that, your OS could be playing up, or your screen/logic board id having a fit.

Anything strage happen before it started? Any weird Kernal Panics? drop it? anything?

suryo
27th January 2005, 06:14 PM
What model iBook is it?

Does it do this when it's plugged in?

Have you done anything to your machine recently? Upgrades? Knocks or bumps?

This sounds like it could be one of several things:
- RAM not seated properly causing Kernel Panics immediately after power on. Try reseating RAM.
- Battery not seated properly or completely flat. Remove and reseat battery. Start up with machine plugged in.
- It's a long-shot, but you could try removing the airport card if you have one.

Beyond this, it could be so many things. Dodgy power button, ribbon switch at the very worst a toasted logic board. Really need more info.

ando5
27th January 2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the quick replies!

It is an iBook G3 (I think!) and it is 18 months old.

Where do you adjust the screen brightness? I would love for that to be the problem!

It does do it when it is plugged in.

The only thing I have done recently that may have contributed to this prob is play a DVD and the screen went funny. Had to turn it off by holding the switch in. But I did get it to work after that (albeit briefly)

hawker
27th January 2005, 07:26 PM
Not too sure about the brightness on the iBook, but on my powerbook it is two of the "F" buttons next to the volume control.

Although this does not sound like the problem :(

Is it under warranty?

scruffie
27th January 2005, 07:34 PM
The screen brightness buttons are the 'F1' and 'F2' buttons.
They are above the 1, 2 & 3, keys.

suryo
27th January 2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ando5@Jan 27 2005, 06:30 PM

The only thing I have done recently that may have contributed to this prob is play a DVD and the screen went funny. Had to turn it off by holding the switch in. But I did get it to work after that (albeit briefly)
Is your iBook's serial number in the range UV117XXXXXX to UV342XXXXXX by any chance?
The screen going "funny" and then starting up to a blank screen makes me suspect the dreaded logic board problem. If it is, Apple will fix it for free. Find out more here (http://www.apple.com.au/support/ibook/faq/).

Suryo

pipsqeek
27th January 2005, 09:37 PM
That sounds very likely a logic board failure.

You say you got it 18 months ago? If it was brand new, then I can assume it would be around the 700-900MHz mark?

I think the serial numbers quoted before should relate to this era of iBook's.

pipsqeek

ando5
28th January 2005, 08:47 AM
Thank you all so much for the help. The serial number does fall between the range you mentioned so I will take it into an apple service place.

You guys rock!