PDA

View Full Version : I touched an iPhone!

Peter Wells
13th July 2007, 09:23 AM
and all i can say is, meh.

coverflow was beautiful, but i wouldnt really use it. the pinch was awesome too, but again, i cant imagine staring at photos on my phone. everything else was, well, kinda boring.

and the back looks quite ugly.

mechcon
13th July 2007, 09:25 AM
I touched my iPenis, but you don't see me making a new topic about that :P

and where did you get to touch an iphone?

lavo
13th July 2007, 09:56 AM
That's for the Inappropriate Wednesday thread Mechcon :-)

Peter Wells
13th July 2007, 09:57 AM
i went to a melbourne twitter meetup last night. the iPhone was there.

mechcon
13th July 2007, 10:05 AM
That's for the Inappropriate Wednesday thread Mechon :-)

thanks for spelling my nick wrong, but you're forgiven, STRONGBAAAAAD!!! rocks!!!

i went to a melbourne twitter meetup last night. the iPhone was there.

Well would you see yourself getting one once they officially come to australia?

stefanlod
13th July 2007, 10:06 AM
This thread looks so suss from the title...

Peter Wells
13th July 2007, 10:29 AM
Well would you see yourself getting one once they officially come to australia?

probably not. but then, i dont really want a full sized ipod either. i love my nano.

lazydesi
13th July 2007, 10:47 AM
u r lucky dude

Arkhum_Eramak
13th July 2007, 11:15 AM
As a smart phone/PDA user, I imagine that the features may appeal to me a little more. That - and I find it difficult to have my iPod and Treo on me at the same time.

Of course, I'd still like to see some more standard smartphone features on iPhone before I'd make the jump, but meh, whatever. My Treo still (mostly) works...except that Documents to Go doesn't work anymore...which means an iPhone would actually do more than my Treo currently does since it has multimedia features and my Treo's headphone port is busted :(

areal
13th July 2007, 11:27 AM
I can't say that I had the same reaction, but I can understand that you might be underwhelmed by the iPhone. To some extent it depends on how you approach it. Of course the iPhone doesn't do anything new in terms of its functionality, but the way that these functions are presented to the user (the UI, the simplicity of it all) makes it quite different from other products in the same category. I guess I think the iPhone will be a grower - use one for a week and then see if you can go back to your old iPod or cell phone or PDA or whatever. It probably doesn't seem so special though if you only tool around with it for five minutes.

Ahem.

Peter Wells
13th July 2007, 11:58 AM
well, i had to help my boss set up his palm treo running windows mobile 5, and it was a fucking nightmare, so i understand smartphone users loving it. but i like my dumbphone™.

spider-man
15th July 2007, 07:07 PM
Hello everyone, this message is written on an iPhone. It is one fantastic
Apple product. I cant wait till someone cracks the phone feature on it.
Untill then ill enjoy all the other features.

Regards, Spidey

DJY
15th July 2007, 07:16 PM
Have we worked out how many MacTalk members have one yet?

MacTalk iPhone owners:
OziMac
Spider-man
nbetts (del 18/7)
walexx (del 22/7)
jw1976
areal
jedda
peteryan7hao (del 25/7)

I can keep updating this post to have a "Hall Of Fame" if we like?!?

nbetts
15th July 2007, 07:25 PM
good idea.. maybe a new thread.

I get mine on wednesday

spider-man
15th July 2007, 08:30 PM
great idea. some one should start a who has one and take it from there.

spidey

walexx
15th July 2007, 08:40 PM
I get mine next weekend.... I think it was purchased today i think :)...... Now I just gotta wait till my friend gets back from the states

STK
15th July 2007, 08:51 PM
and tell us how they got their hands on it!

Peter Wells
15th July 2007, 09:43 PM
for shits and giggles (mainly giggles) i just bought jesusphonesightings.org
(http://jesusphonesightings.org/)
feel free to send me your stories, miraculous healings, etc.

ethania05
15th July 2007, 10:36 PM
The phone that just does everything that Jesus wouldn't....

[/URL][URL="http://imageshack.us"]http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9746/iphonecuresej5.gif (http://imageshack.us)
Shot at 2007-07-15

jw1976
16th July 2007, 09:20 AM
I got mine last week, but can safely say no miraculous healing from my iphone. Actually i am thinking of offloading it for what i paid for it. Ever since i brought it my wife hasn't been too happy with me.

And i prefer to have my wife then my iphone!

samuelclarke
16th July 2007, 09:39 AM
I'm over in the US studying and have been into the local AppleCentre to check it out - used it for over half an hour. It's a very nice piece of hardware...the phone side of it is really good - I called my mobile from the iPhone and it's fun and easy to make a call. Safari was the other thing that really jumped out at me - I was expecting to have to squint to see anything, but it's perfectly readable! On the wireless network in the Apple store the internet was fast (as is to be expected!), but when I switched the phone to the EDGE network the speed went to around 70-200kps (that's an estimate - it felt faster than dial-up, but definitely not as fast as broadband). The iPod side of it was nice, but I've got a 30GB Video and didn't think that it was all that much better than it - it's nice, but not off the wall.

I would've bought one right then, but my budget at the moment wouldn't let me...the joys of a weaker exchange rate! Though I will be getting one as soon as the budget will allow. Looking at the iPhone as a whole it truly is revolutionary, except for storage capacity Apple can't really add much to it - well I say that loosly, there's lots I would like to see on the iPhone...but in terms of the hardware it's almost perfect.

areal
16th July 2007, 10:22 AM
I agree with that. The design is exceptional. If the iPhone feels restricted at all it is because of software that is problematic or missing. After only a few days of getting used to the iPhone I honestly can't see myself using an old iPod again.

internet
16th July 2007, 12:07 PM
how much are you guys paying for your iPhone in AUD? What does it wind up costing?

DJY
16th July 2007, 01:21 PM
I agree with that. The design is exceptional. If the iPhone feels restricted at all it is because of software that is problematic or missing. After only a few days of getting used to the iPhone I honestly can't see myself using an old iPod again.

Sounds like you are also one of the enlightened ones areal?
I can add you to the list if you want.

OziMac
16th July 2007, 01:26 PM
iPhone actually winds up costing not so much more when converted - depending on sales tax (I got mine in NY with 8.75%) it came out to about AUD 750, with no extra charges for activation/cancellation (within 3 days).

Of course, if you're getting it shipped in, that's another matter entirely.

areal
16th July 2007, 01:48 PM
Shipping isn't much. It also made my decision much easier that the iPhone came with a dock and a USB charger, meaning that I could sell mine along with my iPod to offset the cost.

OziMac
16th July 2007, 02:19 PM
Yep - but bear in mind that the iPhone dock won't hold regular iPods due to the difference in physical shape, and the USB charger is of course US-based - both of which can be made to work anyway, through cables/adapters, but which do reduce their utility.

Comet
16th July 2007, 03:04 PM
If only Nike+ worked on the iPhone I would switch over to it.... I also played with the iPhone over the weekend. Lots of fun, and the typing isn't as bad. Of course you miss spell a lot, but it does the auto correct. Youtube was fun. Whats funny is that since it does so well, you start comparing it to a normal computer and feel a little disappointed.

stevekicks
22nd July 2007, 01:06 PM
i got to play with a yesterday here:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ideas_man69/iphone/IMG_5297.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ideas_man69/iphone/IMG_5306.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ideas_man69/iphone/IMG_5301.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ideas_man69/iphone/IMG_5302.jpg

i was going to buy one but i just bought a macbook over here too and didn't want to spend much more. i'll wait till it eventually comes out back home...

Peter Wells
17th August 2007, 12:05 AM
so, tonight i touched another iphone, this one owned by the lovely kids from plasq (comic life, skitch).

i must say i'm far more impressed by how cool and down to earth the plasq kids are, as opposed to how cool the iphone is...

dotnet
17th August 2007, 12:59 PM
i must say i'm far more impressed by how cool and down to earth the plasq kids are, as opposed to how cool the iphone is...

Don't worry, you'll come around eventually... :D

Cheers
Steffen.

fompsweeva
17th August 2007, 03:50 PM
I've touched one too and I didn't make a thread about it.