PDA

View Full Version : MBPro Suitable for desktop?

rickyd
12th July 2007, 04:39 PM
Hey there.

I have a MacBook Pro (the one before the Santa Rosa chips), and wanted to use this as a desktop replacement for my iMac G5. Ideally, I wish to attach a 23" ACD, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse. Will my MB handle the display (ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card)?

Also - do you think I'd be pushing it too hard to use it as an all day desktop, as in overheating etc?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Ricky.

geektechnu
12th July 2007, 04:44 PM
The setup you describe should work without problems.

I sometimes use my MacBook (integrated Intel GMA graphics) to drive a 24" screen.
It handles both the 24" LCD and the internal 13" screen at the same time without issues.

bertofski
12th July 2007, 04:44 PM
if you are worried about it overheating you can get an Elevator/iCurve. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elevator/ that way the bottom of the MBP isnt sitting on a surface getting hot.

Seon
12th July 2007, 04:47 PM
I use my MBPro at home when I work, 4-6 hours at a time, and I also never turn it off.... It performs seamlessly... Love it! Awesome desktop replacement when compared to an iMac.

gaehl
12th July 2007, 04:51 PM
rickydamelio@mac.com that Macbook Pro can handle the 30" so the 23" should be "no worries mate" :P

silverdreamer
Have had my ibook since 2001, I doubt it has been turned off more than a doze times. The new Macbook is similarly, always on, no problems at all.:)

decryption
Laptops are more prone to exploding after long periods of use. If you look in the manual, Apple state that you give the laptop a rest every 2 hours to make sure you don't overwork it.

silverdreamer
12th July 2007, 04:57 PM
Laptops are more prone to exploding after long periods of use. If you look in the manual, Apple state that you give the laptop a rest every 2 hours to make sure you don't overwork it.

Do you know anyone who's laptop exploded after a long period of use? And if so, did you get it on video?:p

rickyd
12th July 2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks for everything so far folks!

I always charge up and use the AC for a while, then let the battery drain to exercise it, will this help?

Ricky.

decryption
12th July 2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for everything so far folks!

I always charge up and use the AC for a while, then let the battery drain to exercise it, will this help?

Ricky.

To further help it along, charge the laptop upside down. It separates the positive and negative ions in the battery to lessen the chance of a reaction.

rickyd
12th July 2007, 05:28 PM
To further help it along, charge the laptop upside down. It separates the positive and negative ions in the battery to lessen the chance of a reaction.

Ooooo, interesting. Thanks decryption :thumbup:
Won't this apply unwanted pressure on my display though??

Whilst on this, does anyone recommend a good external hard drive for my media??

Ricky.

sollys
13th July 2007, 08:30 AM
I use my MBP 2.4 8600GT as a desktop replacement connected to 24" Dell LCD & eSata connected external drive. I have it sitting on a Griffin Elevator stand for cooling with the harddrive case sitting underneath - looks really neat and takes up hardly any room. It works fine and handles anything I throw at it. Considering the size of the PC beast I replaced with the MBP it is a very sweet unit - and takes about 30 secs to unhitch and chuck in my backpack if I'm travelling or whatever.

rickyd
16th July 2007, 07:22 PM
Would anyone please be able to tell me what ports the 23" will take up?

Ricky.

gaehl
16th July 2007, 07:29 PM
The DVI port one USB and one Firewire port (you don't have to plug them in and you will get 2 USB ports and 2 Firewire ports back) and one power point :P.

The Fluffy Duck
16th July 2007, 07:44 PM
MBP is perfect for a desktop. Its got grunt and its portable. Give it an iCurve and you are set

rickyd
16th July 2007, 08:01 PM
Cool. Thanks guys. Just restating my earlier questions. Is it harmful to the MBP to charge it upside down, like decryption suggested??

Cheers,
Ricky.

Aladdin
16th July 2007, 08:11 PM
No one's mentioned whether they use the MBP (with attached external display) with the clamshell open or closed!

Won't it run hotter with the clamshell closed?

I'm thinking of the same setup, but am concerned with heat issues.

Perhaps the (rumoured aluminium) iMac would be better.

new2mac
16th July 2007, 09:00 PM
Definitley the way to go.
I don't close mine, it's too useful to have two monitors on the go

halledise
16th July 2007, 09:28 PM

then next time, you gotta charge right side up in order to reconnect them to be sure to be sure

Currawong
16th July 2007, 09:47 PM
I'm using an MBP as a desktop replacement - an eSATA card with external drive(s) or FW800 external will be a great extra for storing large files on too. The slowest thing in the MBP's is the hard disk.

qwijibo
16th July 2007, 10:04 PM
No one's mentioned whether they use the MBP (with attached external display) with the clamshell open or closed!

Won't it run hotter with the clamshell closed?

I'm thinking of the same setup, but am concerned with heat issues.

Perhaps the (rumoured aluminium) iMac would be better.

I run mine in clamshell mode (hooked up to a 24" dell). Mine does get hot, but its also a rev.A MBP - current MBP run a bit cooler, I think. In summer it was overheating when doing stuff like large compilations - but I used to just open the screen a bit, and it cooled down enough.

Like I said, a modern MBP shouldn't have a problem though.

Eurosnob
17th November 2007, 08:20 PM
*Bump* Okay, thread is awake now.

Does anyone know if a MBP will run a 4:3 aspect external screen @ 1600x1200 or does it need to be the same as the built-in?

Anyone, anyone ...?

gameon
17th November 2007, 08:46 PM
if you are mirroring the screens it may have a problem with the aspect ratio

otherwise no problem at all

TheWatchman
17th November 2007, 09:37 PM
I'd say it would perform pretty well just get a nice big screen :)

Phase
17th November 2007, 09:54 PM
30" screen and an MBP as a desktop replacement here;

Upgrading to the new Mac Pro when it launches however

morn
18th November 2007, 03:24 PM
Makes a great desktop. Just plug in a LCD and a keyboard. And when you need to go some where, you can just unplug and take with you.
It will run just fine in lid closed mode, maybe the fan will run a little faster but it certainly won't overheat the laptop has very carefully monitored thermal management. But you have the LCD sitting over hot parts of the laptop, probably not so good for it.

semaja2
18th November 2007, 03:27 PM
If your making it a desktop i highly recommend a fast harddrive, it is the biggest biggest down fall in my MBP which i use as a semi desktop

Linux_insidev2
18th November 2007, 03:29 PM
I use my mbp as a desktop and a laptop and it's great! I even use a 4:3 display at home with bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

The Fluffy Duck
18th November 2007, 03:40 PM
MBP is a great desktop computer :0

jonnos
18th November 2007, 04:43 PM
can the macbook pros on the current model handle the native resolutions on 3d games on 23", 24" or the 30" LCDs?

leon
18th November 2007, 04:46 PM
*Bump* Okay, thread is awake now.

Does anyone know if a MBP will run a 4:3 aspect external screen @ 1600x1200 or does it need to be the same as the built-in?

Anyone, anyone ...?

The macbook pro will just put black bars on the image if it is having trouble with aspect ratios, like watching a widescreen DVD on a 4:3 TV. Not a big deal.

new2mac
18th November 2007, 05:20 PM
MBPro + 30' display + fast external drives = :D
Power + freedom is heaven for me.

(that's for everything besides heavy video editing of course)

Linux_insidev2
18th November 2007, 05:23 PM
can the macbook pros on the current model handle the native resolutions on 3d games on 23", 24" or the 30" LCDs?

It can drive the displays at native res, running current generation pc games at the native res for a 24" or up? probably not all too well.

Currawong
18th November 2007, 05:41 PM
The MBP will drive most displays fine. I wouldn't particularly choose a MBP for more than casual gaming though any more than any notebook being suitable. They are designed primarily for graphic, audio and video professionals. With a 7200rpm 200GB or larger drive installed though, they make excellent desktop replacements.

SilverJ
19th November 2007, 09:19 AM
I use my MBP 2.4 8600GT as a desktop replacement connected to 24" Dell LCD & eSata connected external drive. I have it sitting on a Griffin Elevator stand for cooling with the harddrive case sitting underneath - looks really neat and takes up hardly any room. It works fine and handles anything I throw at it. Considering the size of the PC beast I replaced with the MBP it is a very sweet unit - and takes about 30 secs to unhitch and chuck in my backpack if I'm travelling or whatever.

Cool mate, sounds like you are using the setup I want.
I am hanging out for the best dell 24" to drop down in price,
(I heard this happens every 3 weeks..?)
then I think I will pick up the Dell 24" and rock out in its 1920 glory :D

undertow
19th November 2007, 09:59 AM
You'd want probably want to invest in a monitor,keyboard and mouse if it was going to be used for long periods of time.

shorebuck
19th November 2007, 10:11 AM
Just my two cents, I start my laptop closed, and then open it when booting has finished - I don't like to use both screens on but I keep the lid open for ventilation.

jerrah
19th November 2007, 10:31 AM
I've found the current generation MBP disappointing for gaming even on the internal screen. I haven't tried gaming on my 30" but I expect it to be pretty woeful. :(

Meanwhile my 2 year old 7900GTX card drives the 30" just fine. Desktop still wins for power which is why I still want the next-gen Mac Pro. (Not just for gaming)

chocho
19th November 2007, 10:32 AM
how do you start it closed?

:)

Eurosnob
19th November 2007, 10:33 AM
Thanks all for the info.

While the Intel Mini has given faithful service, I have been drawn into the rort of salary sacrificing of laptops and will be doing so when the new FBT year come around. I was thinking of using the $$$ saved to put in the bigger-better-faster-more hard drive and update the monitor too, hence the questions about aspect ratio. I mean, what's the point of buying a big 4:3 (24" of Dell lurve!) if the MBP won't use all of it?

Eurosnob
19th November 2007, 10:35 AM
You'd want probably want to invest in a monitor,keyboard and mouse if it was going to be used for long periods of time.

Just on this point. Is anyone else still using an old extended II keyboard - that is, the best keyboard ever made?

jerrah
19th November 2007, 10:38 AM
how do you start it closed?From a sleeping state I'd assume. It always wakes up the internal screen when I open mine though?

jerrah
19th November 2007, 10:40 AM
I mean, what's the point of buying a big 4:3 (24" of Dell lurve!) if the MBP won't use all of it?Dell 24" isn't 4:3. It's more like 16:10.

I've had no problems using Macs on all sorts of resolutions and aspects with no difficulties using the whole screen.

Eurosnob
19th November 2007, 10:55 AM
Dell 24" isn't 4:3. It's more like 16:10.

I've had no problems using Macs on all sorts of resolutions and aspects with no difficulties using the whole screen.

Ooh! Did not know that.

This is looking better all the time. :)

jonnos
19th November 2007, 02:26 PM
ah kk yeah i plan on using it for graphic design work and such. im studying digital media at uni atm. i just plan on playing games like starcraft 2, guild wars 1/2, counter strike source and prob gears of war.

Linux_insidev2
19th November 2007, 02:42 PM
From a sleeping state I'd assume. It always wakes up the internal screen when I open mine though?

You start it up then close the lid, when OSX loads it ignores the laptop's internal screen.

I find gaming on my macbook pro fine, and it's only a core 2 duo 2.16ghz with the X1600 (128mb) And i play things like BF2/BF2142, HL2, HL2 Ep 1, HL2 Ep 2, TF2, Far Cry, etc. Obviously it isn't going to play things like Crysis too well but still.

If you're running any games at native res on a 30" display you're going to run into problems, the higher the res, the more processing power required to pump out those pixels.

jonnos
19th November 2007, 02:48 PM
the memory and core speed on the 17" mbp clocked faster than the ones in the 15"?

morn
21st November 2007, 01:11 AM
8600GT ain't bad. You simply aren't going to easily find a laptop better for gaming, in other words MBP is pretty much as good as a gaming laptop comes, aside from one that use powerful battery life sucking GPU's.
Best GPU's as always are in desktops. But it should be noted that a macbook pro is at least as good as an imac for gaming! Only mac that will do better, is a mac pro.

jerrah
21st November 2007, 01:15 AM
the memory and core speed on the 17" mbp clocked faster than the ones in the 15"?Yes it is.

stewiesno1
21st November 2007, 05:27 AM
Just on this point. Is anyone else still using an old extended II keyboard - that is, the best keyboard ever made?

You mean the old beige ADB ones ?
Sure am . On my 8600/250 as a print server for my plotter using OS 9.
They are good aren't they.

Stewie

~Coxy
21st November 2007, 01:04 PM

Yep, I use one on my Power Mac G5 and laptop. Works OK under Windows too, except for the numeric keypad.

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3372/1509071909cc7.jpg

morn
21st November 2007, 06:50 PM
What's so good about it. Doesn't even have volume keys.
If I was going for an old keyboard I'd like to try out a....
http://www.blackmac.ch/nextstation/images/keyboard.gif
Of course I dunno how good the keys actually feel, but I have a extended II keyboard laying around here.

snark
27th February 2008, 04:40 PM
Old thread I know, but this topic has been touched on earlier in this thread.

Can anyone shed some light on how the MBP works with an external monitor that is 4:3, compared to the internal display which is 16:9 (or thereabouts)?
From what I've read, there are different "modes" eg. using the external display as an additional screen (more desktop real estate), vs using it as the primary display (mirror of what would be on the internal display). How do you switch between them?
Can you have the desktop spanning the internal and external displays if they are different aspect ratios?

morn
28th February 2008, 01:05 AM
Mirroring might be difficult, Petronius. I'm not quite sure how that would work.
But spanning should work just fine.

Xavier
2nd March 2008, 08:37 PM
I know that with my MB and my normal old aspect ratio (4:3 i think - not widescreen) when I mirror the old screen it goes the same aspect ratio as the MB and has big black bars across the top and bottom to mirror the screens.

When I have it extended the other monitor works fine.

There is a third option that I use when I only want a 4:3 rather than the MB screen. What you do is select mirroring then you close the lid of the laptop. You then connect a device to the laptop (mouse, keyboard, etc...) and it will wake up and the 4:3 monitor will become the main monitor at proper aspect size. If i remember correctly you only need to open the lid and it will go back to normal.

I normally just extend the desktop over both unless I am playing a game or something.

jonnos
2nd March 2008, 09:15 PM
when in dual screen mode it shares the video card ram 50/50 right? does that mean if u have ur mbp closed or open but lcd off and just running off the external it uses all of the 512(current top model) or 256(current bottom model) RAM that is on the video card?