PDA

View Full Version : eBay seller scam "Apple service cds"

mivory
17th March 2004, 11:20 PM
I just want to warn other Mac users who may have seen the service manual cd's for sale on eBay recently. I purchased these supposed Apple service manuals cds, only to discover upon their arrival that they are actually just a couple of burnt cd's (the guy made himself) that have a collection of public and not public apple information, apple logos and images etc with some dodgy apple look alike labels affixed to the front of them. Beware. The description of these goods make them sound like apple products but they are not. The seller's name is matthewmcdonald from Brisbane.

pipsqeek
18th March 2004, 06:52 AM
Lets all send him massive amounts of spam, selling him Apple Service CD's

:D

Steve

Byrd
18th March 2004, 09:20 AM
Those CD's on eBay look just plain dodgy in the first place! I've also seen the exact same CDs being sold at Swap Meets in Melbourne - also containing bits and pieces of service manuals, some from Gamba.

JB

jimmytim
18th March 2004, 05:01 PM
What a ripper, you can get them off torrent easily, he/she probably just downloaded them, burnt them on the cd and sell them on ebay.

cmetom
18th March 2004, 10:30 PM
*goes off to hassle him*

does anybody know where to report people, on ebay?

kim jong il
16th April 2004, 03:59 PM
I too have seen these CD's advertised but figured that most of the info would be public domain.

As for what to do about suspect or non genuine items, I do remember seeing a link at the ebay site recently that referrred to reporting fraudulent items (maybe not exactly what you were looking for), so I went offf to look for it but cannot find a damn thing. This annoys me a tiny bit, that I can find something by accident at a site, but no amount of searching brings any joy.

To get even may be a bad idea. Have you tried emailing the individual directly suggesting that a refund may be in order because the product was misrepresented. Does the term 'caveat emptor' (sp?) apply to goods that are misrepresented?

Fortunately I have only ever bought two pieces of complete junk from ebay for a total of $30. Of these one matched the description more or less precisely, the other was highly ambiguous. I thought I was bidding on four items, but discovered this referred to something completely different in the same add and so got one item for the price of three. Turned out it was one of those Hong Kong guys with a bogus Australian location listed. These guys never respond to email enquiries before the end of the auction.

EDIT 1: bigotry removed
EDIT 2: sent a couple of links to piracy@apple.com

cheers, kim

Kreats
30th April 2004, 04:34 PM
Well they pretty much are what was described, burned or no. They are the official apple service manuals (Replace Logic Board!).

Whether apple would like that he is burning and selling these is another thing altogether (the same could probably said about gamba distributing these; although gamba is not profiting from it).

If the seller was totally honest they would say where they were downloading it from and that they were providing a downloading/burning service, but I can't see where they explicitly lied in their description.

purana
15th June 2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by jimmytim@Mar 18 2004, 05:01 PM
What a ripper, you can get them off torrent easily, he/she probably just downloaded them, burnt them on the cd and sell them on ebay.
rofl.

You can download them from apple directly, although you require a service logon (which is not a problem since I am a certified tech)... which reminds me I need to produce another updated cdrom with manuals for our service staff. Since they don't usually have access to the online manuals from remote locations.

kim jong il
30th July 2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Kreats@Apr 30 2004, 04:34 PM
Well they pretty much are what was described, burned or no. ..................

Whether apple would like that he is burning and selling these is another thing altogether ................

.................... but I can't see where they explicitly lied in their description.
I don't think the word "lied" was mentioned. I might have said misrepresented. Would you be happy about paying money for e.g: a copy of OS X only to dicover some kid was selling unauthorised duplicates. Probably not

When something is sold on ebay. Most people assume that the person they are buying from actually owns or has the right to sell the goods advertised. This guy is not the author. He and a couple of others are selling material from an array of technology vendors to which they have no rights. They are not advertised as duplicates of the apple service manuals (plus about 25 other manufacturers manuals as well). Not exactly a lie. Not exactly truthful.

That they have not been prosecuted is not so much that what they are doing is legal, but more to do with it being too expensive to prosecute them for the magnitude of the crime. Meanwhile, these individuals kick back and make a few thousand a year. Not bad for some, but something like this would cost me my job if I were to attempt it. It's an honesty thing.

kim

Kreats
15th August 2004, 01:13 AM
Well, if the only people who could distribute the service manuals were Apple, then gamba would be shut down also. That would be a sad day.

I remember trying to get repair information from Apple back in the day before I had the internet and it wasn't fun at all (not that the service manuals are a lot of good anyway).

Having downloaded these manuals myself (on dial up then), I'd say that if I could have bought a cd for a reasonable price (like $5 or so) instead of wasting my time downloading then I would have considered doing so.

At worst, I'd say it is misleading.. but I'd hope that Apple has better things to do than prosecute borderline cases such as these.

Bozman69
21st September 2004, 01:24 PM
Hey All,

I bought some of these too....Shocking I must say....Not even easiy to find anything...I'm sure Apple would have made a better interface than whats in those CD's....Very very poor indeed....I have his ebay details if anyone wants them....;)

purana
21st September 2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Bozman69@Sep 21 2004, 01:24 PM
Hey All,

I bought some of these too....Shocking I must say....Not even easiy to find anything...I'm sure Apple would have made a better interface than whats in those CD's....Very very poor indeed....I have his ebay details if anyone wants them....;)
Ironically enough apples service manuals have no interface... apart from the fact its listed on a website in this fashion..

eg;

iMac-eMac
eMac [21-Jan-04] Download
eMac (ATI Graphics)[10-Jun-04] Download
eMac (USB 2.0)[10-Jun-04] Download
iMac G5 (20-inch) [13-Sep-04] Download
... snip ....

varsis
21st September 2004, 01:35 PM
http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html
Intresting to find, Someone on spymac.com gave me the link when i was asking about my imac g3 monitor prob, and they said that look there and it seems to have a big list of em i say go sell those:) that would be alot better also you could damn make something nice for it too:) i could thats all i know

macintoshrules
12th February 2005, 03:53 PM
I bought one, $5, because it was easier than downloading. I knew they weren't official.

macintoshrules
13th February 2005, 09:54 AM
eBay have added an ask the seller a question link on the auction page, and the questions appear on the auction page. If we use this to post links where they can be downloaded, and ask questions like "Are these approved by Apple" and "Do you have the rights to distribute this copyrighted material?", we might turn people away from buying them.

Herbie
6th March 2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by macintoshrules@Feb 13 2005, 09:54 AM
eBay have added an ask the seller a question link on the auction page, and the questions appear on the auction page. If we use this to post links where they can be downloaded, and ask questions like "Are these approved by Apple" and "Do you have the rights to distribute this copyrighted material?", we might turn people away from buying them.
You're upset because you feel like you got taken. Understandable. If you'd have checked with your local AppleCentre (or Apple directly) you'd know that the only way these files are distributed are via the 'Net. At least you would have known that expecting a stamped Apple CD was unrealistic. Best bet would be to consider it a learning experience.

the_OM
6th March 2005, 05:24 PM
geez this threads going backa bit.

And herbie, if you read macintoshrules previous post you'll see that he said that he bought them for $5 because it was easier than downloading them, so i don't think he feels like he got taken.

Kreats
6th March 2005, 07:16 PM
BTW it is the sellers choice if the question/answer appears on the auction page. They can also choose to ignore the question.

macintoshrules
7th March 2005, 08:57 PM
Damn...

sabre1
6th July 2005, 09:39 PM
Ok my two cents worth

Myself and quite a few other ppl got ripped for large amounts of money (myself $500 others up to $4000) by a *ahem*gentleman by the last name of mcdonald in the NSW area selling mac gear on auctiontrader

and my other cent if its only $5 wtf cheap price for a heap a manuals I bought one of ebay from someone else same thing it was a lot of manuals and tech reports slapped together BUT it had a few manuals on things I havnt found elsewhere and helped me out when I ran out of idea's as what to do next

Basically an old adage you get what you pay for so if it's only $5 then thats what you get $5 worth

23rd June 2006, 12:36 AM
I've seen a seller who are selling .Mac accounts at starting bid of $5 do you think these are legitimate?

hawker
23rd June 2006, 07:36 AM
This is why I never use ebay.

Well okay I used it once, but I got an awesome mac mini deal. Apart from that, I won't be going back, just took out my info, sick of the bull ebay spam even after taking off "please contact me with special offers"

I prefer to use here :)

purana
23rd June 2006, 07:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mivory &#064; Mar 17 2004, 11&#58;20 PM) 3126</div>

I just want to warn other Mac users who may have seen the service manual cd&#39;s for sale on eBay recently. I purchased these supposed Apple service manuals cds, only to discover upon their arrival that they are actually just a couple of burnt cd&#39;s (the guy made himself) that have a collection of public and not public apple information, apple logos and images etc with some dodgy apple look alike labels affixed to the front of them. Beware. The description of these goods make them sound like apple products but they are not. The seller&#39;s name is matthewmcdonald from Brisbane.
[/b]

I just cant believe you even thought these were legit. Even before buying. A little research would of told you these were in no way Apple produced. Many people collect service manuals and burn them. You can find HP, Compaq ones too.

vicmeldrew
23rd June 2006, 10:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Newbie &#064; Jun 23 2006, 12&#58;36 AM) 187502</div>

I&#39;ve seen a seller who are selling .Mac accounts at starting bid of &#036;5 do you think these are legitimate?
[/b]

I bought a .mac acccount from ebay in second chance offer. I paid around &#036;60. It was the second time I had been outbid in auctions by the same seller. There was no box and it appeared to be an older version as it had a copy of Virex on it. The users name was pheonix_777. and he appeared to be a very good seller being very friendly and considerate.

I have only had one bad experience on ebay when I paid &#036;60 for 9 emac software restore discs from a seller in Queensland who still sells a lot of apple OEM software. I assumed it contained the install discs for OSX. I didn&#39;t know then that the emac restore discs had 13 in total including the hardware test. The seller had stated that the set would install OS 10.3 in his ad. I wrote back and told him about the lack of OSx discs. He appeared surprised and said" thats Apple for you" which was BS of course. I wrote back and offered &#036;50 for the OS install discs. He wrote back and wanted &#036;100. I asked for a refund or an acceptance of my previous offer. He said I make the rules so tough luck. I warned I would post negative feedback and he said go ahead, so I did.

I bought the 13 discs and an 10.3.9 update on a burnt disc a couple of months later for &#036;20 from another seller on ebay. I have noticed the guy that ripped me now has his feedback private and some self-serving BS about people telling lies about him in his about me.

mivory
23rd June 2006, 11:35 PM
The title, description, use of apple logos and images etc... led me to believe they were a used copy of &#39;service source&#39; cd&#39;s that techs used. Of course I know better now, but Im surprised apple and ebay dont seem to care about jerks like this misleading people by using their copyrighted material to pass themselves or their products off as something they are not. As nobody else seemed to care I decided to post this thread (ages ago) to warn aussie mac users. Ebay is now very well renowned as a place for crap and scams though, so I&#39;d say this thread is probably not that useful anymore.