PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Nano, Future iPods to resemble iPhones

ninja
10th July 2007, 10:37 PM
This makes for a very interesting read. Of course we all know the speculation out there around a "nano iphone" but here is some more concrete info.

Personally speaking, im holding out for a smaller iphone.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/mobiles--handhelds/apple-mulls-cheaper-iphone/2007/07/10/1183833475061.html

Hope it hasnt already been posted

Shere Khaan
11th July 2007, 07:54 AM
JP Morgan in the US has distanced themselves from the previous report. Essentially they said that it was spurious to base all this off one patent as Apple register a lot of patents that don't end up as a product to market. They suggested it would be in the order of 2 years before they might create an entirely new version of the phone based on their history.

marc
11th July 2007, 09:08 AM
The only issue with speculation of an iPhone nano is the capacity of the current iPhone... 4gb/8gb. The iPod nanos have 2gb/4gb/8gb of flash... so how's that going to work?

The iPod and iPod nano are different size, form factor and capacity. The software is slightly different too (nanos don't play games etc), so they both have a reason to exist.

If an iPhone nano existed, you'd assume it'd have to run OS X and probably be touch screen. The iPhone also has something like 700mb of firmware. So a 2gb version doesn't make sense, nor does a smaller form factor. I just don't see the point in an iPhone nano right now... I think it's just wild speculation by analysts who don't really know what they're talking about.

And as for an iPod based on OS X with a touch screen... umm... pretty obvious assumption really.

bartron
11th July 2007, 09:48 AM
iPhone nano could be just a current Nano with phone capability added...i.e. not all the fluff of the current iPhone.

As for the iPod....iPhone withought the phone bits and a hard drive

yitzyf
11th July 2007, 10:47 AM
iPhone shuffle anybody? One button that shuffles your contacts and calls a random person? :) :D

WonderBoy
11th July 2007, 11:00 AM
iPhone shuffle anybody? One button that shuffles your contacts and calls a random person? :) :D

Haha! Yeah, I'd buy that. Might force me to call old friends and family that I haven't caught up with in a long time.

iSlayer
11th July 2007, 11:07 AM
I dont buy it. There really isnt any need for a cheaper iPhone i dont think. The current one is on par with other smartphones more or less already.

WonderBoy
11th July 2007, 11:17 AM
I dont buy it. There really isnt any need for a cheaper iPhone i dont think. The current one is on par with other smartphones more or less already.

Yes, but there would be a market for a smaller iPhone. The teenage / fashion conscious market.

iSlayer
11th July 2007, 11:19 AM
Yes, but there would be a market for a smaller iPhone. The teenage / fashion conscious market.

But to stop it from hurting the current iPhone sales it would need to have lots of features removed. It would just be another phone in a very crowded market.
The smartphone market is much more open then the consumer market.

Maybe in a year or 2 when the current iphone has more features they could do it but anytime soon probably wont happen i dont think

Johnny Appleseed
11th July 2007, 11:41 AM
I realised I was getting old and conservative when I though the iPhone was too much of a leap forward. I thought they should have started with a nano with slide-out keypad!

entropy
11th July 2007, 12:36 PM
An iphone nano would explicitly not be a smartphone. Just like the nano has less features than an ipod video, so an iphone nano would have less features than an iphone.
It would be a touchscreen nano that would have a virtual t9 keypad for sms and phone calls. it would not have email capability, and it would not have internet capability. It would probably store photos, but I am not even sure it would have a camera (I would guess it would have a basic camera). It would be designed for the early teen market or those that only want an ipod/basic phone in one unit.

Its purpose would be to expand apple's mobile phone market share by having a cheaper phone than can be built that includes smartphone capabilities. That is, exactly the same reason the ipod nano exists.

marc
11th July 2007, 01:17 PM
Maybe in a year or 2 when the current iphone has more features they could do it but anytime soon probably wont happen i dont think
I agree with that.

Why cripple a great device just to cram another product into the market (that will most likely cannibalize your own sales)? Doesn't make sense at all. There's not really anything that can be removed from the iPhone that will allow for a smaller form factor anyway. Losing the touch screen isn't going to happen, as it's the bases of the entire design (ie. you can't just make the phone work with arrows if you wanted, without totally redesigning the entire thing and making it suck).

Anyone who thinks this is possible now is dreaming.

chrissara
11th July 2007, 01:41 PM
My understanding is that Apple have plans in the next year to release a video Ipod but in a nano format i.e. flash memory.

I understand they are waiting for price to come down for the Samsung 32gig flash memory.

Essentially it will be a Video Ipod, but with the thin form-factor of the Nano.

They will still offer the standard Ipod but with increased capacities above 80gigs. The question one has to ask is how much storage does one really need for an Ipod before you move away from the standard video/audio useage. In other words the Ipod will need to "branch out" in some way beyond a video player and music player. The question is will this interfere with what the iPhone does. For example the Ipod may become a portable iCal, Contacts, etc that can sync with iTunes or OSX programs (or similar PC programs).

Really it is all hypothetical, but to a lesser degree you can work out which paths Apple will not take e.g. simply increasing the size of an Ipod's capacity, and then judge where they will go from there.