PDA

View Full Version : how to do??: "a connect to menu"

crimespree
10th July 2007, 09:25 PM
i am trying to make a connect to network drive menu that i can use to access the myriad of network drives I access at home and at work, i know you can make shortcuts to drives but i dont like these as they are not readily accessible, basically i want to launch these alias' from a top right menu, i want quick access, quick eject would be helpful too.
anyone know how to do this, i wasn't having luck with inserting alias' into butler
how are other people quickly accessing network drives?
any help appreciated, ta

crimespree
15th July 2007, 09:02 PM
anyone??

jubilantjeremy
16th July 2007, 01:42 PM
Not really sure what you're talking about. Isn't an alias in the sidebar the quickest and most convenient?

Anyway, why don't you try opening finder and pressing :cmd: + K. It opens a 'connect to server' dialogue, and you can click the + button to add a favourite..

- Jeremy

Disko
16th July 2007, 01:44 PM
I'd start with a few automator scripts which mount each individual drive. Then you can dump each one into a folder and put it into your dock for easy right-click pop up access.

Aa
16th July 2007, 02:13 PM
i saw a couple of very handy new tools for this type of thing just the other day.

hang on and i'll have a looksy

Aa
16th July 2007, 03:03 PM
Nup couldn't find it mate. sorry.

the one i was thinking about had an odd icon like a speedway car or something. it sits in the dock, and i think it's made by the maker of another nice cocoa app like a coda or somesuch...

heres another handy link but it's not exactly what you're looking for...

http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/create-a-drives-menu-in-the-dock.html

crimespree
16th July 2007, 08:54 PM
thanks guys, I wanted something nice and discreet in t he menu bar, i ended up doing like what AA linked to and placed a folder in the dock with sub folders for work and home network drives, alias' for each contained within, seems to work quite well!
thanks all!