PDA

View Full Version : Disable iBook Keyboard

ibook in bkk
10th July 2007, 08:10 PM
I would like to completely disable my iBook keyboard

(I would like to make the iBook think that the only keyboard that exists is my USB keyboard)

Note: physically removing the iBook keyboard does not work

Any ideas?

Thanks.

(iBook G4, 12", 1.2Ghz, 256Mb RAM, 30GB HD, OS 10.3.9)

Byrd
10th July 2007, 08:16 PM
Hi welcome :)

iBooks think their internal keyboards are ADB, which I suppose complicates things a little (read your thread on Applefritter), making them functionally different than USB.

So with the keyboard disconnected, it continues to type random keys? Is the connectoe damaged? Have you tried the usual PRAM/power manager resets?

I'd suggest trying to find the iBook's keyboard pinouts; there may be a way to cut one of the traces that provides power to the line, effectively disabling the keyboard.

EDIT: you may also be able to disable the AppleADBkeyboard.kext driver.

http://people.cs.uu.nl/stefan/blog/00014.html

JB

ibook in bkk
11th July 2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks, yeah I tried the usual PRAM/power manager resets, no results.

I removed the AppleADBkeyboard.kext driver and that disabled the iBooks keyboard.

I had a look at the pins that connect the keyboard connector to the logic board with a bright light, there was a very fine fibre/hair resting across 2 of the pins. I removed it. I was wondering if it could be possible for a charge to be transmitted through the fibre. Thus disturbing the keyboard. Could the computer really be that sensitive? Could a charge pass through the fibre?
Anyway I will continue experimenting. Thanks for your previous advice!

Hobartion in Bangkok.

Byrd
11th July 2007, 04:45 PM
Bangkok - cool :)

Unless it was a piece of metal, I'd doubt that the fibre was conductive - but stranger things have happened. At least it sounds like you're making good progress :)

JB