PDA

View Full Version : 3 Weeks Later and I still don't have my MacBook Pro... :(

bleach1st
10th July 2007, 03:05 PM
Hey Guys :D i was just wondering if there is anything wrong with the current supply of MacBook Pro's? 3 weeks ago i brought a new model 15.4 "2.4 GHz model MacBook Pro and i still haven't recieved it and it's really starting to annoy me. :mad: :mad: I brought it through JB-HiFi and they keep saying that Mac's having 'supply issues' and are giving him hollow answers and when i call them up they dont tell me anything saying 'Sorry, we dont deal with that'... :confused: :confused: :confused: Thus 3 weeks later and im still without my B'day present and it's tomorrow :( not good
anyone with any info please reply because my first impression of Mac Support is well, lets just say; crap :thumbdn: :thumbdn:

BlowMeDown
10th July 2007, 03:09 PM
JB Hifi??? I didn't even realise they sold Macs :confused:

As for your thoughts with Mac support, if you did buy it from JB Hifi (or any other reseller for that matter) it's up to them to get your order to you and no sense blaming Apple for it.

Did you order a glossy screen? From what I understand they are B.T.O. (built to order) in Malaysia and that will cause a delay. Of course your reseller knows that.

purana
10th July 2007, 03:13 PM
Yes currently a delay according to various sources.. People who purchased through DSE Powerhouse during that 15% off special are mostly waiting also.

A fellow at my work bought through a Premium Reseller and he is waiting still also. He was told it could be this week sometime.

cosmichobo
10th July 2007, 03:15 PM
Hi bleach, and welcome to the club.... hopefully soon...
Oh, and happy birthday for tomorrow :)
From memory it took 3-4 weeks for my eMac to reach me back in '04... I know it's a pain, but basically my understanding is that Apple really don't have any storage of Macs here in Oz, they just order them as required (out of Asia, as BMD suggested).
Sadly it's a problem that doesn't seem to faze Apple Oz... All I can say, is just keep reminding yourself of the joy when it eventually arrives... There's nothing like unpacking a new Mac... :)

bleach1st
10th July 2007, 03:16 PM

As for your thoughts with Mac support, if you did buy it from JB Hifi (or any other reseller for that matter) it's up to them to get your order to you and no sense blaming Apple for it.

Did you order a glossy screen? From what I understand they are B.T.O. (built to order) in Malaysia and that will cause a delay. Of course your reseller knows that.

yeah but JB keep contacting Mac and they keep saying that they can't get them a com because they dont have any... and as for the screen i got whatever is standard for that model i didn't ask for anything diff ;) ...

Yes currently a delay according to various sources.. People who purchased through DSE Powerhouse during that 15% off special are mostly waiting also.

A fellow at my work bought through a Premium Reseller and he is waiting still also. He was told it could be this week sometime.

ahh so there are other people in the same boat as me... thats comforting to hear :) lets hope we both get it this week :D

Oh, and happy birthday for tomorrow :)
From memory it took 3-4 weeks for my eMac to reach me back in '04... I know it's a pain, but basically my understanding is that Apple really don't have any storage of Macs here in Oz, they just order them as required (out of Asia, as BMD suggested).
Thx :D
oh really thats too bad, the annoying thing is that apple told JB it would be less than 4 working days so i've been in major suspense since then... if i was told 3-4 weeks since the start it would be different story... thx

Razer
10th July 2007, 04:52 PM

What are JB Hifi going to do about a supply shortage? The is more sense in blaming Apple than JB Hifi. It's not really a blame thing anyway, it's just a supply thing. In my experience getting a delivery date from Apple for stock that is out of supply is impossible. I think it comes down to Apple not wanting to lose sales, if they told a potentional customer that a product will be 5 weeks away the customer might just by a windows machine.

Geoff3DMN
10th July 2007, 05:23 PM
When I bought my MacBook Pro about 8 months ago it arrived after about 6 weeks (it really dragged too!).

You have my sympathy...

mab
10th July 2007, 06:14 PM
Bought mine (17") about 3 weeks ago took about a week. A friend ordered one (17") last week arrived yesterday another friend ordered last week (15") and should be here tomorrow.

edit: Friend just rang his 15" arrived today took about a week.

DJY
10th July 2007, 06:27 PM
When I was ringing around on the weekend trying to find one (here in Canberra)...
I discovered that a couple of resellers advised that Apple Aust "allegedly" were due to receive their next shipment on Tue this week (today) - and they were all hoping to get stock from within a day or so.

I did manage to find DSE had stocks of the 2.2GHz 15" so I needed some retail therapy and impulse shopping - so went for that one!

jeloz
10th July 2007, 06:41 PM
Supply is at the worst i can ever remember for 3-4 years

Jeloz

dev_enter
10th July 2007, 07:09 PM
I ordered mine (CTO) 2 days after the were announced, and it arrived this Friday, took 4 weeks.

aswitcher
10th July 2007, 07:25 PM
Mmmm. Supply problems. These guys just got updated, surely there should be enough about.

bleach1st
11th July 2007, 12:52 PM
wow i love these forums everyone is so willing to share info with Mac noobs like me :D :D thx for all the info, i guess i was expecting my mac a bit too fast seeing as most of you guys had to wait a couple of more weeks than me to get yr coms... now all i gotta do i play the waiting game, although i dont think my toshiba will survive a couple more weeks (DVD-drive died last week, now i have no sound because the card is 'unavailable'... not good)

dev_enter
11th July 2007, 01:06 PM
It will be worth the wait. That's all that matters. :)

WonderBoy
11th July 2007, 01:22 PM
bleach1st - JB HiFi like anywhere else rely on Apple for their stock. They can't say "Oh Apple are mucking me around, I'll call Acme Computers and get some off them". And I can vouch that they telling you a number of truths.

A) MacBook Pros are indeed constrained in Australia. Which means no one would have them in stock. This is common when an Apple product is brand new. Remind yourself that when you get it, it will be bleeding edge.

B) Dealing with manufacturers like Apple can be difficult. When someone calls a big company like Apple to ask about stock, they give you a bunch of statistics like "We're expecting 215 on Monday, however this is for all of Australia. You placed your order of <insert number> on <insert date> so with any luck, you may get one or two on <insert another date>. In other words, JB calling Apple would give them only a tiny bit more info.

This has nothing to do with Apple's support. Support is a completely different issue to supply and demand. It's a popular model with a world wide shortage - you'll have to deal with it. Having said that, in your situation I'd probably be anxious too.

But... as others have stated. You won't be waiting in vain. You'll love your MacBook Pro!

P.S. Apple are not called "Mac". Mac is a brand, not a company. Common mistake :)

infact
20th July 2007, 04:57 PM
Its been 7+ weeks now... and i still haven't received my 15" 2.2 :'(

don't know how some of u've been getting it in 4 weeks or so...

Ginamos
20th July 2007, 05:25 PM
I came across this article a couple of days ago that may explain the delays.

MacBook Pro Display Component Shortages Strangling Supply? (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/18/macbook-pro-display-component-shortages-strangling-supply/)

"Some high-volume Apple dealers tell AppleInsider that thousand of units have remained on backorder since early June, while others claim they've yet to receive a single shipment of the new notebooks. In speaking to these dealers, Apple representatives have reportedly identified the new 15-inch LED backlit display panels as the root of the problem."

[MREVO8]
20th July 2007, 05:51 PM
I bought a 2.2 15" at Domayne Campbelltown last Thursday. They still had 2 in stock there at the time too.

purana
20th July 2007, 06:11 PM
;327209']I bought a 2.2 15" at Domayne Campbelltown last Thursday. They still had 2 in stock there at the time too.

Sweet.

The guy from my work just got his on Wednesday. And he is a first time switcher. Totally loves the machine so far and bootcamp works well for him too as you would expect :)

samwalk
20th July 2007, 07:08 PM
I ordered my wifes 15" 2.4 gig with faster hard disk 2 weeks ago. I have just been told that it wont be available until the 10th. They are using the upgraded hard drive as the reason - no stock in Australia at the moment!

step_andy
20th July 2007, 08:21 PM
Ordered 2.2 version. Was quoted 10 days for delivery

soadaholic
20th July 2007, 08:35 PM
Its been 7+ weeks now... and i still haven't received my 15" 2.2 :'(

don't know how some of u've been getting it in 4 weeks or so...

Dude, over 7 weeks is crazy... BUT it will be worth the wait!

jimdrum
20th July 2007, 08:38 PM
Mac resellers are offering various opinions regarding when the 2.4 GHz 15" models will be available. It seems that they're very scarce, and that Apple is promising deliveries that vary from " the middle of next week" , "to nothing until the end of August".

Here's a post from Mac Rumors dated July 18th: (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to AppleInsider, a supply shortage of the LED-backlit displays (http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.appleinsider.com%2Farticl es%2F07%2F07%2F18%2Fapple_struggling_to_meet_deman d_for_new_led_lit_notebooks.html&t=1184911203) powering Apple's latest MacBook Pros are the cause of continuing shipping delays. In addition, the site reports that third party retailers have seen virtually non-existent stock of the units.Some high-volume Apple dealers tell AppleInsider that thousand of units have remained on backorder since early June, while others claim they've yet to receive a single shipment of the new notebooks. In speaking to these dealers, Apple representatives have reportedly identified the new 15-inch LED backlit display panels as the root of the problem.
Apple has not specified whether quality-assurance related yield issues are to blame, or rather it is simply a case of production not being fully ramped up for a relatively new technology.

Currently, Apple's U.S. Online Store (http://www.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fstore.apple.com%2F&t=1184911203) cites a 7-10 day ship time for 15" base configurations.
Mac Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/): MacBook Pro (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro)

FBTN
20th July 2007, 10:21 PM
I came across this article a couple of days ago that may explain the delays.

MacBook Pro Display Component Shortages Strangling Supply? (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/18/macbook-pro-display-component-shortages-strangling-supply/)

"Some high-volume Apple dealers tell AppleInsider that thousand of units have remained on backorder since early June, while others claim they've yet to receive a single shipment of the new notebooks. In speaking to these dealers, Apple representatives have reportedly identified the new 15-inch LED backlit display panels as the root of the problem."

This is correct.
MyMac at Melbourne does have 10 available as today afternoon, all sold out in 2 hours. Next shipping due at coming tuesday, want one? hurry up!

stealth
20th July 2007, 11:18 PM
Two weeks ago I ordered and received my 2.4 MBP (CTO - Gloss & 7200HD) within 7 days ... My fatherlaw ( a switcher) ordered a 2.2 MBP on Monday 17th July at 3.00 pm and received it 8.00 am the very next day...made a great impression on him ...I just shook my head (Both ordered via Apple online store)

semaja2
20th July 2007, 11:34 PM
It would seem people ordering online are receiving at high priority, mine as stated before was basically a 2 day wait time *weekend screwed that up*

I have heard many reports of online orders being received in between 24 hours - 4 days, however i do believe the statements that retailers are being put at last priority so delays are massive

bleach1st
21st July 2007, 11:03 AM
OMG thx so much people for all the info... it reassuring to hear that it's a world-wide thing and not just Australia or me... :P :D

andy
21st July 2007, 12:05 PM
I was waiting for my MacBook Pro order to be filled for 6 weeks. I was going nuts about it! I happened to be at Myer Chermside (Brisbane), where I had a look at their computer section, and they have 4 of the 2.4GHz models in stock ready to walk out the door right now! Hence, after a 6 week wait with one company, I now have a shiny new MacBook Pro on my desk thanks to Myer Chermside!

bleach1st
21st July 2007, 01:52 PM
I was waiting for my MacBook Pro order to be filled for 6 weeks. I was going nuts about it! I happened to be at Myer Chermside (Brisbane), where I had a look at their computer section, and they have 4 of the 2.4GHz models in stock ready to walk out the door right now! Hence, after a 6 week wait with one company, I now have a shiny new MacBook Pro on my desk thanks to Myer Chermside!

hmm sounds like an interesting story that one :eek: makes me wonder if i should try looking elsewhere for mine, ive got mine under order with JB-Hifi still and nothing has happened :mad:

gnosis
31st July 2007, 11:10 AM
It's been 5 weeks now since I ordered from a reseller in Melb. Surely a company the size of apple can predict demand and have tested for any issues before release!

I remember the same thing occurred when the mac mini was released.

Just found out that the resellers premises burnt down last week to add to the fun and game...

jimdrum
31st July 2007, 05:29 PM
[quote=gnosis;331505]It's been 5 weeks now since I ordered from a reseller in Melb. Surely a company the size of apple can predict demand and have tested for any issues before release!

I agree! I don't understand this at all. Perhaps the demand has been far, far greater than they anticipated....
I've been waiting for 4 weeks for my Macbook Pro. I guess it will be all the sweeter when it does finally arrive.

meinrosebud
31st July 2007, 05:40 PM
Guess November is not that far away when you look at it, but I would hate to think that you are going to have to wait THAT long. Is there a shortage of Mac Books?

purana
31st July 2007, 06:06 PM
Dont feel so bad, it's looking like the one a mate got has some serious hardware issues. So I think he will be pushing for a DOA, since he logged a call days after getting it stating it had certain sleep issues. It's going to be evaluated by reseller on Thursday.

scokim
31st July 2007, 06:58 PM
Can you not cancel your order and shop somewhere else ?

Check out ht.com.au or just go to apple online.

bleach1st
31st July 2007, 11:16 PM
It's been 5 weeks now since I ordered from a reseller in Melb. Surely a company the size of apple can predict demand and have tested for any issues before release!

I remember the same thing occurred when the mac mini was released.

Just found out that the resellers premises burnt down last week to add to the fun and game...

yeah its been 6 weeks for me but i've finally got a call from Apple services yesterday telling that my mac is in the country and that i should be able to pick it up by Friday at the earliest :D :D lets hope this is the same for all of you who still haven't heard anything yet ;) ;)

... thats really bad about the resellers burning down... :eek: :eek:

bleach1st
5th August 2007, 01:16 PM
problem solved :D 6 weeks later and i have finally got my beautiful macbook pro :D :D its great nothing wrong :D :D good luck guys with getting yrs, i talked to the women who said i was getting mine and she said there was a world wide shortage so :( hmm bad timing i guess

jimdrum
12th August 2007, 06:30 PM
Finally received my 15" Macbook Pro yesterday. It took nearly 7 weeks from the order date, and it's a standard configuration.
The machine is superb. The LCD backlit screen is amazing: great resolution and extremely bright.
It really has been worth the (excruciating) wait.
I hope yours comes soon, if you are still waiting. I'm sure you'll be absolutely delighted when finally you get it.

Repulse
12th August 2007, 06:46 PM
My MacBook took roughly 12 weeks, if that makes you feel any better...

And it was also because of a world-wide shortage. :(

crimespree
12th August 2007, 06:54 PM
well for those that had to wait at least you didnt have to put up with the wireless kernel panics

mlbrown
18th September 2007, 02:02 PM
Worldwide shortage? I know of plenty of people in the states that have walked in and purchased from the shops. Also I have heard a lot of stories of people that have ordered online here and gotten their MBP's in a week. The issue is that while there is a bit of a shortage due to various reasons, Apple are giving priority to the online shop over the resellers. This to me is disgraceful. Why even have resellers if you are going to treat them and their customers like this, go full e-commerce and get rid of all of the Dealerships.

I have been waiting 3 weeks now from a very large mac reseller, and they cannot give me an ETA.

Xenex
18th September 2007, 02:14 PM
Apple always prioritise their own stores around the world.

Here in Australia, they're simply not shipping stock to stores. Here's a secret hint: ask them about the free upgrade to a 17" that Apple is quietly offering...

LCGuy
18th September 2007, 02:23 PM
Has anyone ordered a MacBook recently, and if so, how long did it take to arrive? I'm ordering one when Leopard comes out, and i don't want it to end up like my iPod! (which took 3 months)

jerrah
18th September 2007, 02:51 PM
I don't think supply is restricted on the Macbook, just the Macbook Pro with the LED backlight.

sendai
18th September 2007, 03:27 PM
Apple always prioritise their own stores around the world.

Here in Australia, they're simply not shipping stock to stores. Here's a secret hint: ask them about the free upgrade to a 17" that Apple is quietly offering...That's meant to be for an additional $200 and only for MBPs ordered prior to early August [at least, those were the conditions under which we can get upgrade.]

Burnsy
19th September 2007, 11:52 PM
We are still waiting for our demo units to come in.......its severely frustrating when there are inconsistencies of order times from different retailers....as of speaking to our rep last week we officially have no ETA the moment....we might get them when Apple have finished looking after themselves.....by that time we will have a new model out :-)

P.S We have been waiting 7 weeks now.......:-(

codeman
20th September 2007, 12:59 AM
About two weeks ago I went into my local reseller and they told me I'd be waiting 6+ weeks to get a new 15" MBP...

I ended up ordering one online and being told 7-10 days by the online store. That afternoon I received an email telling me my shiny new fruit was on it's way from Sydney. When I got home the next evening it was there waiting for me. Everything was specified as stock so I'm guessing there aren't really any supply issues there, except Apple don't seem to like their resellers...