PDA

View Full Version : Gmail Notifier Problems

shinji
9th July 2007, 07:48 PM
Hi y'all,

I don't know if I have posted this thread in the right forum, if I wrong would the moderators kindly put in the right for :o

Anyway, I have a problem using Gmail Notifier at work ....my network administrator has been complaining to me that the Gmail Notifier kept alerting the office firewall every 2mins with a warning saying there is a "blocked file" trying to go through the office's firewall. Now, I have narrowed it down that it is the notifier checking my gmail every 2mins that is causing this problem.......but I don't have a solution so that the notifier will work with the office's firewall without tripping off the firewall alert every 2mins, can you guys/girls help?

I am using the notifier on my iBook connented to a *I think* Windows NT network/server. Currently, the gmail notifier works without a problem like I can check emails by clicking the links in the drop down menu and it notifies me of new emails.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Billy

AusMac
9th July 2007, 08:40 PM
hmm I use the gmail notifier extension in firefox but I don't automatically log in.
Why be notified if Spam arrives?

shinji
9th July 2007, 08:55 PM
Why be notified if Spam arrives?

I don't get notified for spam mail at all...only ppl on my contact list. The odd thing is the gmail notifier works beautifully on my mac, but it is just causing a nuisance with the office's firewall. And the IT dude in the office is urging me to get rid of the program cos it is annoying the crap out of him with emails alerts every 2mins! But I don't want to cos I really prefer the notifier over the Gmail Widget ...sigh..

Cheers
Billy

BiRDBRAiN
9th July 2007, 09:03 PM
Chances are the admin has setup the firewall to show any "repetitive" behaviour which is a sign of something that could be potentially malicious.

A trojan program which calls home generally collects something and phones home regularly like this, or searches for other potential victims in such a way by looking at the network for vulnerable systems.

I would personally show the admin some respect and not use it at work. You never know when you might really need his help :D

AusMac
9th July 2007, 09:04 PM
Surely there is a setting to change. Surely you don't need email checks every two minutes .. I have Eudora set to do that every nine minutes merely to keep my dial-up connected. Not because I expect a new mail within every nine minutes.

I do sympathise with your IT dude.

Razer
9th July 2007, 09:27 PM
The admins know what the traffic is by now can't they just turn alerts of from your ip and the specific port. Sounds like they are a bit lazy if you ask me.

SyncMan
10th July 2007, 01:38 AM
Surely there is a setting to change.

No it's pretty crap basic, what do you expect for nothing!

purana
10th July 2007, 08:12 AM
Ask the author to generate you a copy with a longer period set (or ask them to code in future versions to allow it to be changed).

IMHO 2mins is not ideal, why on earth would you need to check every 2 mins.. 5, 10 or even 15 mins would be a better setting then 2 mins.

shinji
10th July 2007, 12:32 PM
Ask the author to generate you a copy with a longer period set (or ask them to code in future versions to allow it to be changed).

Thanks for the responses so far guys! :)

I had a look in the "Preferences" pane in Gmail Notifier and there isn't an option for one to change the frequency of checking the emails. I did have a look at Gmail Notifier's Help and it says it uses specific ports. Would it help if I tell the IT dude these ports? or would it jeopardise the integrity of the office's firewall?

How do I contact the "author" as purana suggested?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Billy