PDA

View Full Version : Booting from Ext Firewire on MacBook intel

craigoaus
9th July 2007, 04:57 PM
Hi Guys, just got myself a new Mac and have been trying to install Mac OSX that came with the new Mac on to an external drive connected by firewire.
Got the message 'You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. Mac OSX cannot start from this volume.
I have reformatted drive (Mac Journaled) it is an 80GB Disc with 74GB free hooked up by firewire.
Does anyone have any ideas? Oh I am trying to do this just for the hell of it...
Craig

boyhobbit
9th July 2007, 05:29 PM
To Boot an Intel Mac from FireWire or USB2 you must Partition the Drive Using a GUID Partition Table. This setting is available under the Options Button in the Partition Settings Tab of Disk Utility.

No Need for Multiple partitions just create one Big One if you like!

Hope this helps!

JimWOz
9th July 2007, 05:55 PM
This came up last week too.
Short answer is yes you can, but you need to do it by cloning the install over from a GUID partitioned disk, onto the APM one.
The Mac Intel install DVD will only install onto a GUID Partition scheme, but an install that is cloned onto an APM disk (using CCC, SuperDuper or Unix ditto command) will boot fine.
Why would you do this ? - If you have mixed Intel and PPC Macs needing different OS's, then put them on different partitions on the the same external disk.

See here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=33420)

craigoaus
9th July 2007, 06:26 PM
Thats seems to have done the trick, instaling now.... thanks for the help. Next endevour Windows on an external... hahaha