PDA

View Full Version : I Love Lamp 2.1, groovier than ever

marc
9th July 2007, 11:07 AM
http://islayer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/ilovelamp.jpg

What's better than I Love Lamp? More I Love Lamp, that's what!

Version 2.1 adds something we've been wanting for a while... different coloured water and lava. 15 different variations to be exact. That means there's now 150 total skin and colour combinations. The redesigned back tells the story quite well:

http://islayer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/ill_back.jpg

New features in version 2.1
- You can now choose the lava and background color from 15 different color schemes (giving a total of 150 combinations)
- More random than before
- More optimised, so even nicer on your CPU
- Some small bug fixes and tweaks
- An updated icon and default image

Get it now, baby. (http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=20)

Disko
9th July 2007, 11:08 AM
You sexy chaps.

Sambo
9th July 2007, 01:34 PM
Hehehe, insanely good guys.

benmcgruer
9th July 2007, 06:19 PM
I like the lamp - but popup advertising in a widget??

I think you've started something unholy with this. Do I need to get a popup blocker for my dashboard as well as Safari?

I don't mind a little advertising to support your work, but there's a buyme link on the download page, a popup when you install the widget and another dedicated button on the back of the widget. Seems a little excessive.

iSlayer
9th July 2007, 06:21 PM
I like the lamp - but popup advertising in a widget??

The "pop up" is a once off thing that we are required to include.

rickyd
9th July 2007, 06:28 PM
I love it...Good work guys!

Rayd
9th July 2007, 06:42 PM
i love desk. :D

Peter Wells
9th July 2007, 06:48 PM
thats a ridiculous amount of work to put into such a pointless widget.

i salute you! great work!

now build me my duck replacement, and other stuff!

marc
9th July 2007, 06:49 PM
As iSlayer said... it's a one off message that we had to include to save the widget. Once you've clicked "ok" you won't see the message again, even on updates.

It was either a quick message like that and a note on the back of the widget, or no widget at all.

Here's the history of I Love Lamp: http://islayer.com/blog/?p=99

Please note that we don't get a cent from Lavaworld.

benmcgruer
9th July 2007, 06:51 PM
Sure, I just don't like the precedent of pop-ups in widgets.

marc
9th July 2007, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure it's fair to compare our once off startup message with pop-up ads.

Did you read the history of the widget?

benmcgruer
9th July 2007, 07:03 PM
Don't get me wrong. I've read the history and I think you guys do a great job with the widgets, and that it's not your choice to put it in. And if it was a choice between no widget and widget with popup - I'd agree you should add the popup.

Doesn't mean I like it though, and for LAVA's feedback - popup advertising (even if only happens once) makes me less likely to buy their products. That's all I really wanted to convey.

marc
9th July 2007, 07:10 PM
That's ok and totally up to you. I agree that Dashboard isn't the place for ads. We'd be really against doing anything that's annoying (we've turned down plenty of projects because of that).

froggy
9th July 2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the memories of the 60s and 70s! :thumbup:

Would I be being too picky if I said that the location of the i on the front of the widget and the 'Done' button on the back are too far apart? (I encountered this because I have the widget near the bottom of my screen and placed it so that (1) it didn't interfere with any other widget and (2) so that I could still see the i on the front. I then couldn't even see the 'Done' button on screen.)

If I'm being too picky, just ignore me.

Cheers,
Andrew

pixelicious
11th July 2007, 11:14 PM
Hey, I just installed it, but i have a problem with it, instead of the awesome lavagoodness, I have a blue lego-brick with a questionmark in the middle... any idea what this means?

iSlayer
12th July 2007, 05:02 PM
Hey, I just installed it, but i have a problem with it, instead of the awesome lavagoodness, I have a blue lego-brick with a questionmark in the middle... any idea what this means?

What version of OS X are you running ?. You will need 10.4.7 or greater to run it.

marc
12th July 2007, 05:27 PM
Btw, lego brick means there was an issue loading the Quartz plugin. Which is what I Love Lamp uses. I've just found out that iPhones can play Quartz compositions too, so we could make I Love Lamp for the iPhone pretty easily (not sure what the point would be though) :)

pixelicious
12th July 2007, 05:44 PM
I'm running 10.4.10 so everything is as up-to-date as it can be, I already checked for any system updates etc.

What's REALLY strange is that when i first boot my mac (haven't done that in a while now ;P ) is that when i first load the widget I can see the lava, but after about a second it goes to the lego brick. Have you ever come across this before?

iMic
12th July 2007, 06:56 PM
MacBreak Weekly has given this widget a plug, along with iStat Pro and more. Starts at 26:16 of MacBreak Weekly 48 "The Next Big Thing".

Unfortunately running it on mine is showing a few issues.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5284/picture1jm2.png

Any ideas? Something it requires that I may have overlooked?

iSlayer
12th July 2007, 08:45 PM
What kind of video card do you have ?
If its not Quartz compatible it wont work i dont think

pixelicious
12th July 2007, 11:43 PM
the quartz debugger seems to indicate that the rest of my screen is loading quartz just fine, and that's exactly the same problem i have, only with an additional blue lego brick...

iMic
13th July 2007, 12:10 AM
See, I thought Quartz was supported on ALL Mac OS X capable machines as they all have capable video cards. However, if it requires Quartz Extreme, then I don't have that.

ATI Rage 128 Pro without Quartz Extreme here.

So is it Quartz or Quartz Extreme the lamp requires?

marc
13th July 2007, 12:35 AM
Not entirely sure, but we're probably using some OpenGL stuff... so that might require some quartz extreme.

It certainly seems like that might be the reason it's not showing.

What's REALLY strange is that when i first boot my mac (haven't done that in a while now ;P ) is that when i first load the widget I can see the lava, but after about a second it goes to the lego brick. Have you ever come across this before?
Seems like your issue is different. We haven't had any support emails that have said the lamp appeared then stopped working.

I'm not sure how much we can do to check this stuff... we're using the Apple Quartz Composer plugin and Quartz Composer. We'll certainly have a good think about it though.

303-Acid
13th July 2007, 03:17 AM
Seems to be working fine for me on my G3 iBook. Great work as usual!

Will be interesting to see what you guys can do for the iPhone.

oneplusone
13th July 2007, 07:52 AM
i love desk. :D

Nice one, Brick! :D

WonderBoy
13th July 2007, 09:23 AM
Now... do you really love the lamp, or are you just saying it because you saw it?

oneplusone
13th July 2007, 12:15 PM
LOUD NOISES!