PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming The next iMac?

tempestas
9th July 2007, 09:38 AM
Ok, here is the thing, I had a dream about the next iMac. Obviously the recent rumours (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/06/brushed-aluminum-imacs-in-august/) about an aluminum casing has some impact here but here goes.

It was a wide 20 odd inch machine as the base model with this very clever two creases that allowed the machine to be wrapped around (about 20 degrees or so) or be flat, it has a much smaller lower below screen space of about 5cm and was about 2/3rd the thickness of the existing iMac.

The larger version of about 26" really wrapped and it somehow created a immersive 3d sort of environment.

I don't normally share dreams but I thought this one of interest, I can visualise what it looked like but I lack the photoshop skills to create it. Those with such skills feel free to make a version for us all to see.

applecollector
9th July 2007, 10:48 AM
Neat dream but.
I say this is what it's going to be
Black 20" iMac with say maybe 20"

oneplusone
9th July 2007, 11:51 AM
You mean something akin to this???

http://sewelldirect.com/images/products/SW-6170/SW-6170.jpg

But obviously more iMac-like....

tempestas
9th July 2007, 12:00 PM
You mean something akin to this???

But obviously more iMac-like....

sort of.. the proportions were sort of 1/4 , 1/2, 1/4 for the three screens in whitish brushed aluminium with no discernible bezel between the three panels of the screen.

oneplusone
9th July 2007, 12:17 PM
More like this then???

http://38.114.207.20/b1db70cf9fe66177cd9324e1f6244b284g.jpg

tempestas
9th July 2007, 12:25 PM
More like this then???

getting there. Lets reduce the bevel size, add the 5cm below screen area and give it a much better looking stand, sort of like the current one but in a sort of wide "V" shape, but the angles between the screens like your first effort.

Getting there.

One has to wonder how far from or close to reality this could be....

Thanks - this is quite fun.:thumbup:

entropy
9th July 2007, 12:37 PM
I am more interested in function:
how about NO MOUSE! Instead have amultitouch pad, about the size of a mousepad. it is capable of showing images on the pad as well.

cosmichobo
9th July 2007, 12:50 PM
Well, now Apple's updated its "touch" software via the iPhone, I can't see why similar usage wont be made in Macs...

Of course, bring back the Newton I say...

oneplusone
9th July 2007, 02:18 PM
How about this????

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/cb07316c2aa03ccced8d11cdcfbdf99f4g.jpg

Of course, I can't see apple actually building this. It's just not practical.....

As for a touch screen idea, that would work like the Wacom Cintiq display, but employ multi touch, instead of (or in addition to) a pen/stylus.

This would be on a moveable stand so you can quickly go from conventional input with kb & mouse, pull it down then use the pen/multitouch to draw and play.....

tempestas
9th July 2007, 03:24 PM
oneplusone

That is looking like what I imagined. Although obviously with the Jonathon Ive touch that made the end product like it was a shape that was meant to be. I imagine a diagonal from the bottom of the centre screen to the outside edge would make sense. Add the new 3d doc from leopard and it would be kind of a 3d space.

Once OLED displays are a reality its not an out of the ball-park idea

Byrd
9th July 2007, 03:32 PM
No Mac nerd would accept two "lines" separating their desktop :) Although, with flexible screens on some day, we could probably move/adjust the screen around however we like!

JB

oneplusone
9th July 2007, 03:51 PM
The outer screens could fold up to act like shutters for your iMac when it's alseep or off. That'd be pretty cool...

And when flexible displays become feasable, we could have a display in an arc shape. Not that'd be awesome for Halo 4!

tempestas
9th July 2007, 04:14 PM
Maybe this the real reason for resolution independence for the UI, allowing a curved space to appear flat and vice versa.
The lines I think merely illustrate the points of change - it was a dream after all.

Still if you were going to do a curved or three planed display, it could be quite interesting how you might make use of the outer 'wings' multi-touch might give you all sorts of possibilities, as would changing shapes of fonts/windows/artefacts on the angles - all sorts of visual trickery could be invoked.

And yes games could be totally amazing