PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a Teclo and a new mobile

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 12:13 PM
Hi guys,

arrived in Australia one week ago from singapore.

Need you guys to recommend me a reliable telco that wont take my head off at the end of every month with the bill.

I'm considering optus, vodafone and 3.
I've heard plenty of bad things about telstra so I guess I'll steer clear of it.

I also need recommendation for a handset.
I am considering the m600.
Main priority is that it plays well with iCal.

Hope you guys can help me out here.

Currently on pre paid optus and I think its more cost effective for me to be on post paid.

silverdreamer
8th July 2007, 12:43 PM
Hi guys,

arrived in Australia one week ago from singapore.

Need you guys to recommend me a reliable telco that wont take my head off at the end of every month with the bill.

I'm considering optus, vodafone and 3.
I've heard plenty of bad things about telstra so I guess I'll steer clear of it.

I also need recommendation for a handset.
I am considering the m600.
Main priority is that it plays well with iCal.

Hope you guys can help me out here.

Currently on pre paid optus and I think its more cost effective for me to be on post paid.

Go Telstra, forget what you have heard, they are the easiest and quickest as well as most reliable option IMHO.

They have a number of Mobile handset options.

Cost depends on the plan your on, so look into the options and pick the one best suited.:cool:

PS: Welcome to the Gold Coast:)

William
8th July 2007, 12:51 PM
Go Telstra, forget what you have heard, they are the easiest and quickest as well as most reliable option IMHO.

They have a number of Mobile handset options.

Cost depends on the plan your on, so look into the options and pick the one best suited.:cool:

PS: Welcome to the Gold Coast:)

Unless you find queing up for hours and having no service Telstra are great!, I changed to vodafone and I was amazed that when you go into there shop, they help you almost straight away, and know what they are talking about.

William

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 12:54 PM
Well,
been looking at what the telcos are offering and currently optus and 3 appeals to me.

Do these telcos provide good coverage here in QLD?

Any idea if nokia phones are able to sync well with macs?
iCal is of utmost importance to me.

benmcgruer
8th July 2007, 01:00 PM
In my experience the Sony-Ericsson phones seem to be the most compatible. You can check out http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html for the full list of supported phones, along with what features they support. I use, and have always been very happy with, Vodafone.

jubilantjeremy
8th July 2007, 01:03 PM
Well,
been looking at what the telcos are offering and currently optus and 3 appeals to me.

Do these telcos provide good coverage here in QLD?

Any idea if nokia phones are able to sync well with macs?
iCal is of utmost importance to me.

I have a nokia 6288 on 3 network. iSync doesn't immediately support it, but I downloaded a tiny plugin (google for it or ask me for the link) and then iSync picked it up fine.

It's fantastic syncing addresses and sending SMS/calling over bluetooth. iCal does sync, but I don't really use it so I can't tell if it's doing a good job of it or not. I know that events created on the phone's calendar can only go into one iCal calendar, and that all the iCal calendars show up as one calendar in the Nokia - though I think this is normal behaviour.

I think that Sony Ericsson are the preferred mobile for mac syncing though. 3 offer a Nokia and a S-E on their $29 cap (which I'm on)

- Jeremy

The Architect.mac
8th July 2007, 01:06 PM
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

cheers

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 01:16 PM
Yea, thanks for the link but I have already checked that out.

I'm just concern about the iCal function.

think SE is the way for me to go then =]

m600 is a pretty old model but its pretty costly here.

Now I'm kicking myself that I didnt buy one in Singapore when it would have just cost me 400 sgd.

Steering clear of nokias now i think.
My previous N80 gave me alot of problems.

Kuma
8th July 2007, 01:36 PM

Telstra are the corpratised version of the anti christ and should be charged with treason for the way they have botched and massacred Australia Telecommunications

and to boot they are anti Mac

deal with this devil if you have to.

jubilantjeremy
8th July 2007, 01:38 PM
Telstra are the corpratised version of the anti christ and should be charged with treason for the way they have botched and massacred Australia Telecommunications

Agree. My family had FOUR phones on telstra CONTRACTS and now we have none. Never had a pleasant experience or even smooth experience dealing with them..

Awhile ago I got a cold call asking me 'why I left Telstra' - I just scoffed a bit..

- Jeremy

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 01:42 PM
alright.

telstra is out.

there is optus. which is owned by singtel.

which basically raped my arse off when I was in singapore. but still decent.

so well, i think I've narrowed my choices down already =]

now for a handset.

I dont see the m600 on apple's compatibility list =[

meinrosebud
8th July 2007, 02:09 PM
See Vodafone about 365 day pre-paid. As for phone handset buy it outright so you can go with the best pre-paid and you can change any time but take your number with you.

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 03:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/kingkangkong/Picture2.png

Hi guys, need some assistance here.

So does this mean I get the phone for free and just pay the montly subscription for $49 dollars.
Provided I dont overshoot my free mins?

and that I pay 30 dollars if I do not touch my phone at all for a month.

Is this what it means?

Thanks =]

silverdreamer
8th July 2007, 03:08 PM

Don't know where your getting your information from, anti Mac! Phttttttt:p

spilla
8th July 2007, 03:17 PM
I'm going to have to agree with silverdreamer on this one.

Telstra have always been good to me and everyone else I know who is with them, and as long as you stay away from the Next-G network, you should be fine. :)

Edge
8th July 2007, 03:25 PM
The only thing Telstra have going for them is the coverage of their GSM network. Nothing else.

silverdreamer
8th July 2007, 03:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/kingkangkong/Picture2.png

Hi guys, need some assistance here.

So does this mean I get the phone for free and just pay the montly subscription for $49 dollars.
Provided I dont overshoot my free mins?

and that I pay 30 dollars if I do not touch my phone at all for a month.

Is this what it means?

Thanks =]

Your paying for the phone by signing up for 24 mths, there will be a penalty clause if you terminate early.

Don't listen to the doomsayers dude, Telstra is not the big bad wolf, and just to stir the mix a bit, will Probably get the iphone as well!.... (Now watch them bite!), but it's your decision to make, and thereis plenty of info out there to help you with your choice.
Good luck!:cool:

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 03:31 PM
yea, i understand that I'm paying of the phone by signing up for 2 years.

I'll see how things go but currently 3 is leading the pack. will make a decision by tmr.

William
8th July 2007, 04:51 PM
Take a look on ebay there are quite a lot of new M600i's going for around $230, there from Hong Kong but the sellers have really good feedback and you can via paypal which covers you, if anything was to go wrong.

William

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 08:09 PM
thanks for the heads up william.

but i'm looking for something with warranty incase the phone conks out =]

William
8th July 2007, 08:15 PM
Im pretty sure most of them were all covered by a 12 month warranty.

William

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 08:24 PM
yea.

but you got to ship it back to HK at your own cost.

the cost is not that expensive but the time needed for repairs is gonna be quite considerable.

silverdreamer
8th July 2007, 08:26 PM
yea.

but you got to ship it back to HK at your own cost.

the cost is not that expensive but the time needed for repairs is gonna be quite considerable.

So Go telstra,

Shops everywhere!:D

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 08:30 PM
silver,
added you on msn.

haha, I'll see how it goes.

first off i gotta settly my uni admin tmr.
in the afternoon, I'll probably make a snap decision.

proctopia
8th July 2007, 08:40 PM
i have an M600i... good phone for push email. looks sweet. querty keyboard with 'rocker' keys. i'm with optus on a business acct. your plan should depend on how much email and browsing you're doing. optus have a cap for around $70... inc phone for free, massive amounts of calls and unlimited email... lot of browsing too. prob best all around plan for the phone. i'm really happy with the handset. bit buggy at the start but you can update the software through SE.
much better than the blackberry pearl.

that '3' chart is quoting the $49 cap... $49 plus $10 a month for the handset so $59 per month... and that includes no email i think, just calls but check it out.

think that's it... oh and no sync with isync but there's a hack which converts your calendar into a .vcs file which you bluetooth to your phone to update... ie. manual sync.

hope it helps.

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 08:54 PM
oh man.

no isync.

i suppose that this is out then....

man, that may mean i have to settle with the nokia e61

too bad the e61i is not here in australia yet.

William
8th July 2007, 09:05 PM
Have a look at Blackberry, I have been looking at getting one and using the pocket mac software (which is free for blackberry uses) you can sync contacts, calendars etc with ical and address book. Works really really well, I helped someone set it up with there Blackberry at work couple of weeks ago. That was on a 1 year old blackberry, my friend has 2003 model and it works flawlessly with that too.

William

kingkangkong
8th July 2007, 09:11 PM
Im currently on a dopod c720w which is blackberry enable.

The problem is that I cant get it to sync unless i pay up for the missing sync which is pretty expensive.

another thing is black berrys are really really big lol.

William
9th July 2007, 08:49 PM
Have you decided on a phone and provider yet?

Id be interested to know what you chose ;0

William

kingkangkong
10th July 2007, 12:11 PM
not yet.
got back from uni late yesterday.

all the shops were closed.
* still not used to the short operating hours for shops here.

later I'll go have a look see.
The most talented salesman will get my business!